Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is this cracked titanium frame safe to ride?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is this cracked titanium frame safe to ride?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-22, 11:21 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3498 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by raqball
LOL.. Nothing else to say.. If you'd feel safe riding that bike then by all means pedal onwards.. Me? PASS!

You are giving TERRIBLE and UNSAFE advice...
Figures. You can't answer a simple question. People aren't approaching this with anything approaching logic. It's all visceral, emotional. A CRACK!! EGADS! Do I also see the Four Horsemen approaching?

This isn't a crack at a weld or a severed chainstay. It wasn't caused by stress from being ridden. It was caused by the headset cup. Will it get bigger? Maybe.
But while all we've heard over two pages is that it's DANGEROUS! Yet no one can tell give me a scenario of what might happen.

Oh, and why don't you tell me what "advice" I've given?

I think the membership of this forum skews to the octogenarian.

Last edited by smd4; 09-04-22 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-04-22, 11:24 AM
smd4

Do you really not understand how that could cause a crash when descending and cornering hard at hight speed? If not then I really don't have anything left to say...
Because you can't explain it, can you?

You think it's going to instantly peel open like a sardine can?
Old 09-04-22, 11:25 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 674 Posts
Curious, what are looking for here other than attention? It is obvious that the bike is damaged and requires repair. Perhaps the OP enjoys watching the conflict such a ridiculous post creates.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 09-04-22 at 11:29 AM.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 09-04-22, 11:26 AM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Figures. You can't answer a simple question. People aren't approaching this with anything approaching logic. It's all visceral, emotional. A CRACK!! EGADS! Do I also see the Four Horsemen approaching?

This isn't a crack at a weld or a severed chainstay. It wasn't caused by stress from being ridden. It was caused by the headset cup. Will it get bigger? Maybe.
But while all we've heard over two pages is that it's DANGEROUS! Yes no one can tell give me a scenario of what might happen.

You appear to be awful defensive.. Like you know you are wrong but are now trying to convince others you are not.. I put forth a case and you have no response to it. Under the scenario I listed you would quite possibly crash and be seriously injured or die..

Please stop posting unsafe advice as it's not healthy for this community..

Meh, to the block list you go..
Likes For raqball:
Old 09-04-22, 11:27 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by amazinmets73
As previously stated, I purchased a titanium frame with a minor dent for dirt cheap 5 years ago. It's been lovely and is my favorite bike. Every member here who gave an opinion advised against purchasing it. It's similar to when I tell people I drive old cars to avoid car payments and they start clucking about safety standards. We've become a society of pampered wusses.
There was really no reason to even start this thread if you believe what you just wrote.

Just ride the damn bike and stop talking about it.

John
Old 09-04-22, 11:31 AM
smd4

You appear to be awful defensive.. Like you know you are wrong but are now trying to convince others you are not.. I put forth a case and you have no response to it. Under the scenario I listed you would quite possibly crash and be seriously injured or die..

Please stop posting unsafe advice as it's not healthy for this community..

Meh, to the block list you go..
Old 09-04-22, 11:51 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts

But while all we've heard over two pages is that it's DANGEROUS! Yet no one can tell give me a scenario of what might happen.

Cracks tend to grow.
A cracked headtube will make the bearings loose and shift stress where it isnt meant to be- fork and steerer.

Will anything come of it? Who knows. Just because someone can't give you a detailed answer of why something is dangerous doesnt mean it isnt dangerous.

I can't always explain the physics or chemical reason behind why something is dangerous, but that doesnt mean I am wrong to say it's dangerous.
Old 09-04-22, 12:01 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
This crack may have started because of a problem with the headset, but it clearly has grown. Now you might think that it will stop, but I think I wouldn't ride it out of uber range from home. If you get it fixed, then it could be a great bike that will last a long time. In its current state, it's not going to be rideable or maybe even fixable for all that long.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 09-04-22, 12:12 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,853 Times in 1,067 Posts
a frame with a cracked head tube is basically junk
Old 09-04-22, 12:18 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked 569 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
I agree with you source "...usually as a temporary repair..." and respectfully completely disagree with your suggestion as temporary on the front end of a bike can be devastating.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 09-04-22, 12:22 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8266 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
I've had a number of component failures on both bicycles and motorcycles. Had pedals snap off twice causing crashes, had a mtb frame break and separate just before a descent, had another mtb snap a chainstay and bend the axle, and had motorcycle suspension components collapse while riding.

When I was a kid I was jumping my bike, a steel framed English 3 speed, and the head tube failed which locked the front wheel when the tire got jammed into the downtube. I went over the bars. Had to carry it home.

My friend was riding his Landshark steel tandem with his wife when the headtube split open. He said it got real loose and he couldn't steer it safely. Did not fall but had to get a ride home.

My point to all this is we don't know what could happen with that frame. Nobody can assure you that it is safe and nobody can say it will fail for certain. Why take a chance? Find an expert welder and get it welded, at the very least. There used to be a welder here who welded magnesium, titanium, super thin aluminum, whatever.
Maybe just send a picture to some ti framebuilders.
Old 09-04-22, 12:35 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
...is this safe to ride?
Sure, but not without further damage.

There are many ways ta fix this easy. Drill a hole at the end of the crack. Remove the head set lower cup. Clamp the head to close the crack. Wrap the out side with a thin steel wire or a steel collar. Braze the steel to itself to keep it in place. Do some tricky bondo cover up. Replace the lower cup after resizing it as it most likely caused the crack to begin with. Then ride your Frankenised bike with true confidence... Oh Yeah!!!
Old 09-04-22, 01:31 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
And just how, exactly, would this “dying” occur?
Would you care to provide any evidence as to how the crack would lead to unrecoverable physical trauma?
I have no idea if this crack will result in some sort of catastrophic failure, but I'd be very wary. If the front end fails - for instance if the head tube splits causing the fork to let loose or simply flex backward into the frame, or causes the steering to be too wonky to control at speed - he could do a header and die or be severely injured by a head injury, broken neck, etc. I'm not saying it will happen and it's up to the OP to make their own judgement on that. But I have a close acquaintance who died from a front end failure and hit the pavement head first at about 35 MPH.

I know. Hence why I'm so confused as to why so many people are suggesting I send the bike to Lynskey. Sure, they could probably fix it, but considering the warranty has been voided, there are surely more economic options.
I'm one who advised that. It had nothing to do with warranty, but I was just thinking that they would be able to provide credible (as opposed to forum experts) about what to do about it. They might even, based on photos alone, be able to estimate repair cost.

As an alternative, you might see if there's a ti welder, better yet, a ti frame builder, closer or more convenient to consult.

As previously stated, I purchased a titanium frame with a minor dent for dirt cheap 5 years ago. It's been lovely and is my favorite bike. Every member here who gave an opinion advised against purchasing it. It's similar to when I tell people I drive old cars to avoid car payments and they start clucking about safety standards. We've become a society of pampered wusses.
Not knowing anything about the previous bike, I won't comment. But comparing a "minor dent" to a very significant crack in the head tube, and the risk of a front end failure of any sort is just silly.

But why would you not seek some sort of actual credible, expert opinion rather than a bunch of online knuckleheads like us? But like others have said, why ask if you just want to argue that the advice you get is stupid or wuss-like.

Last edited by Camilo; 09-04-22 at 01:51 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 09-04-22, 01:40 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Quoted: 3417 Post(s)
Liked 3,548 Times in 1,784 Posts

It was almost certainly caused by the cyclic stress of riding over rough roads. Textbook fatigue cracking.

Last edited by terrymorse; 09-04-22 at 01:47 PM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 09-04-22, 01:43 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Because you can't explain it, can you?

You think it's going to instantly peel open like a sardine can?
If it were to crack all the way through, that would put additional stress on the remaining material, making it more prone to catastrophic failure. The fork tube would be subject to movement that it is not normally subject to, and that may increase the fork's chance of catstrophic failure.

Additional cracking could also lead to slop that could affect handling enough to cause a crash.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 09-04-22, 02:00 PM
amazinmets73

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I have no idea if this crack will result in some sort of catastrophic failure, but I'd be very wary. If the front end fails - for instance if the head tube splits causing the fork to let loose or simply flex backward into the frame, or causes the steering to be too wonky to control at speed - he could do a header and die or be severely injured by a head injury, broken neck, etc. I'm not saying it will happen and it's up to the OP to make their own judgement on that. But I have a close acquaintance who died from a front end failure and hit the pavement head first at about 35 MPH.

I'm one who advised that. It had nothing to do with warranty, but I was just thinking that they would be able to provide credible (as opposed to forum experts) about what to do about it. They might even, based on photos alone, be able to estimate repair cost.

As an alternative, you might see if there's a ti welder, better yet, a ti frame builder, closer or more convenient to consult.

Not knowing anything about the previous bike, I won't comment. But comparing a "minor dent" to a very significant crack in the head tube, and the risk of a front end failure of any sort is just silly.

But why would you not seek some sort of actual credible, expert opinion rather than a bunch of online knuckleheads like us? But like others have said, why ask if you just want to argue that the advice you get is stupid or wuss-like.
Terribly sorry to hear. If you don't mind me asking, was he or she wearing a helmet?

FWIW, this is a cross bike and will be ridden as such. If I'm going to have a catastrophic failure, it's always preferable to be riding a mud track as opposed to pavement.

Last edited by amazinmets73; 09-04-22 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-04-22, 02:03 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Terribly sorry to hear. If you don't mind me asking, was he wearing a helmet?

FWIW, this is a cross bike and will be ridden as such. If I'm going to have a catastrophic failure, it's always preferable to be riding a mud track as opposed to pavement.
Yes, wearing a helmet and wearing it properly (if any of the dozens of rides I've done with him is any indication). I don't know if the cause of death was head, high neck or both. He's also a bike mechanic nerd, riding a high end steel bike, and it was really surprising to all of us that there was a failure causing the header. Do what you want, but why not just get some expertise rather than this pointless forum argument? Best wishes, I hope it works out for you.

Also, getting back to the original post, it's not stupid to buy a frame for the components if the price is right. You at the minimum have that going for you!
Old 09-04-22, 02:41 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I think I wouldn't ride it out of uber range from home.
And I would wrap myself in bubble wrap if I were to get on this bike.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-04-22, 03:24 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2480 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Please let us know what you decide to do. My money is on your deciding to keep the frame and ride it while leaving the crack as is.
Old 09-04-22, 03:39 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,452 Times in 4,670 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
But like others have said, why ask if you just want to argue that the advice you get is stupid or wuss-like.
Because he needs to find at least one person of questionable judgement to say what he wants to hear and reinforce the belief that he did the smart, savvy thing; the rest he can dismiss.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-04-22, 03:47 PM
amazinmets73

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Please let us know what you decide to do. My money is on your deciding to keep the frame and ride it while leaving the crack as is.
I'm going to keep it but I'll abstain from riding it until I make some inexpensive 'repairs'. Then I'm going for broke.
Old 09-04-22, 04:21 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
The advantage of the way it is now is you can mark the end of the crack and see how quickly it grows. If you cover it in cruft, no matter how expensive the cruft might be, you won't be able to tell if it's growing.

Send a picture to a Ti framebuilder and see what they say
Whereabouts are you located OP?
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 09-04-22, 04:41 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
Sheesh, If only there were a frame-builder's forum someplace.... Except that they're likely - though not 'definitely' - to say, 'Call Lynskey, send it to a Ti builder for repair, or part it out for more than you paid for it.'

I wouldn't mind dying on my bike, though I'd like another 20 years of riding or so. I'd hate to get a disabling injury, though. Sure this crack might never get worse. Sure a failure might be gradual enough to let you stop without injury if it does get worse.

But you're risk-reward ratio here looks pretty bad for you. Frankly, it looks worse than shipping a bike without adequate insurance. Fool yourself once, it's on you. Fool yourself twice? A good friend might ask, 'Why do that to yourself?'
Likes For philbob57:
Old 09-04-22, 04:45 PM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Because he needs to find at least one person of questionable judgement to say what he wants to hear and reinforce the belief that he did the smart, savvy thing; the rest he can dismiss.
Bingo!
Old 09-04-22, 04:46 PM
amazinmets73

Originally Posted by unterhausen
The advantage of the way it is now is you can mark the end of the crack and see how quickly it grows. If you cover it in cruft, no matter how expensive the cruft might be, you won't be able to tell if it's growing.

Send a picture to a Ti framebuilder and see what they say
Whereabouts are you located OP?
Norwich, CT.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.