Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-22, 09:37 PM
rogerm3d

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 40 Posts
After years of riding with an assortment of equipment I finally upgraded to Campagnolo ergopowers and I am a convert. Frame is from 1989 (I think?) and uses Columbus TSX
Old 09-11-22, 12:58 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Got those new Open Pro UST's it looks like, too! How do you like the ride?
Old 09-11-22, 11:19 AM
slushA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
good looking bike. never ridden anything made with TSX, what's it like compared to SL or some of the comparable-grade reynolds?
Old 09-12-22, 06:37 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by rogerm3d
After years of riding with an assortment of equipment I finally upgraded to Campagnolo ergopowers and I am a convert. Frame is from 1989 (I think?) and uses Columbus TSX
Whoa, one can barely see the frame with that background!
Likes For Rocket-Sauce:
Old 09-12-22, 10:39 PM
rogerm3d

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Got those new Open Pro UST's it looks like, too! How do you like the ride?
The Open Pro UST's ride great but are a royal pain to mount continental gp5000s on. Building the rear was a little tricky due to the lower tension of the rims and the high dish of the hub. Once setup they have stayed true and are stiff in climbing/sprinting
Originally Posted by slushA
good looking bike. never ridden anything made with TSX, what's it like compared to SL or some of the comparable-grade reynolds?
It's definitely stiffer than the other bikes I've ridden while still absorbing imperfections in the road nicely. I don't notice any flex at the chainstays like I have with some older lighter steel frames, but it's at least as comfortable over long distances. Of course I don't know how much of that is the frame geometry/build versus the tubing
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
Whoa, one can barely see the frame with that background!
Before your comment I never really thought about how much the paint is camouflaged. See below for how the frame was first built up against a grey wall
Likes For rogerm3d:
Old 09-22-22, 06:15 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by rogerm3d
Which brifters specifically?
I "upgraded" my bike with Campagnolo brifters (with the thumb lever) and I won't even ride it anymore. I'd love to change them to anything else.
Old 09-22-22, 09:51 PM
rogerm3d

Originally Posted by Reynolds 531
I "upgraded" my bike with Campagnolo brifters (with the thumb lever) and I won't even ride it anymore. I'd love to change them to anything else.
I am running Campagnolo Super Record 11 speed. I have ridden 8 and 9 speed Campagnolo in limited amounts and it was nice but the improved hoods and ultrashift are a pretty large improvement. Ultrashift allows you to shift the front and move multiple gears in the back at the same time so you are in the same gear ratio but in a different front gear (ready to attack or sprint up a hill). I always preferred being able to do this (crudely) with bar-end shifters).
I'm guessing by your mention of the thumb lever that this is what you don't like about the Campagnolo syste?. Sram and Shimano both have slightly different designs that don't make use of a thumb shifter which I know some prefer.
Old 09-22-22, 10:08 PM
Mike V3

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 18 Posts
Here is my Merlin from 92.
Old 09-23-22, 05:45 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
If I was ever going to move away from Campagnolo, I'd totally go to Microshift. The levers are super simple with 2 levers behind the brake lever. One to upshift the other to downshift. Dead simple. No moving of the brake lever or double clicking or whatever. If they made those with an ultrashift-like ability to drop half the cassette at a time while shifting front and back together or while making a big change (climbing into a sprint?), they might overtake Campagnolo for me, if for no other reason than the ability to use the more cheaply available (and more easy to find) Shimano-compatible components and wider range cassettes.
Old 09-23-22, 09:00 AM
shoota 

Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
All campy shifters have the thumb button. It's a pretty polarizing design.
Old 09-23-22, 09:20 AM
Reynolds 531 

Originally Posted by botty kayer
I turn 50 next month but am still charging around like a young un doing big miles, and that Simoncini has had a lot of use as my work bike over recent years. I figure over the coming decades I can raise the stem a fair bit if my back gives out, so I've got a while yet on those 2 small ones I hope
This:
Old 09-23-22, 09:35 AM
Reynolds 531 

Originally Posted by shoota
All campy shifters have the thumb button. It's a pretty polarizing design.
Thank you. I have many "swap meet" Campagnolo brifters, that have yet to be used. I went and dug through that bin last night, and they all have a "thumb button". I thought I was perhaps buying the wrong versions!

I HAVE heard of extended thumb buttons on some models, and I think even 3d printed thumb buttons that can be made/

My problem I believe is the same as everyone: I can't upshift when I am in the drops.
I just measured my thumbs, and they are 65mm long from web to tip FWIW.
Old 09-23-22, 10:10 AM
himespau 

I think that might be about bar rotation/lever location on the bar as much as thumb length (but then I have fairly long thumbs so the fact that I don't have problem shifting from the hooks). Oh wait, you said drops, not hooks, I'm not sure anyone can shift from down there if you're not on bar ends.
Old 09-23-22, 10:34 AM
shoota 

Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Thank you. I have many "swap meet" Campagnolo brifters, that have yet to be used. I went and dug through that bin last night, and they all have a "thumb button". I thought I was perhaps buying the wrong versions!

I HAVE heard of extended thumb buttons on some models, and I think even 3d printed thumb buttons that can be made/

My problem I believe is the same as everyone: I can't upshift when I am in the drops.
I just measured my thumbs, and they are 65mm long from web to tip FWIW.
Yeah it's not great in drops. I can't even get along with with them on the hoods because the button sits too far back.
Old 09-23-22, 10:54 AM
Reynolds 531 

Originally Posted by himespau
I think that might be about bar rotation/lever location on the bar as much as thumb length (but then I have fairly long thumbs so the fact that I don't have problem shifting from the hooks). Oh wait, you said drops, not hooks, I'm not sure anyone can shift from down there if you're not on bar ends.
Thank you. I guess I actually meant "hooks", but I have never heard that word used before.
Old 09-23-22, 11:10 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 852 Times in 445 Posts
These are my owned-since-new '89 SuperGo Access Comp drop bar conversion with Tourney 3x7, and '90 B'stone RB-1 on it's third group set, now a mixture of Shimano 105 and Ultegra 10 speed.

Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 09-23-22, 12:42 PM
himespau 

Thank you. I guess I actually meant "hooks", but I have never heard that word used before.
Honestly, I've heard it both ways with drops meaning what some people call the hooks to some but drops meaning the bottom of the curve for other people. When I first responded, I was calling it drops too, but then googled and went with hooks based on googling making hooks seem more common.
Old 09-23-22, 01:48 PM
slushA

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Anyone here know what to do with odd-shaped downtube shifter bosses? I bought some concave dura ace cable stops, but it seems they are stuck sitting atop a square on the downtube, leaving an unsightly gap between the cable stop and the tube. I would consider just carving out the square part of the cable stop, but as you can see in the pic, it looks like I'll then run up against whatever part attaches the square to the frame itself.

Old 09-23-22, 02:46 PM
BMC_Kid 

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 156 Posts
1991 Zullo with 11 speed Campagnolo Athena.

1989 David Tesch S-22 with a mix of Campagnolo Record/Super Record 11 speed.

Old 09-23-22, 03:07 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by BMC_Kid
1991 Zullo with 11 speed Campagnolo Athena.

1989 David Tesch S-22 with a mix of Campagnolo Record/Super Record 11 speed.

Oh, c'mon! Two super hot bikes in one post?! You're killin' me...
Old 09-23-22, 04:09 PM
Schlafen

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 63 Posts
If I was ever going to move away from Campagnolo, I'd totally go to Microshift. The levers are super simple with 2 levers behind the brake lever. One to upshift the other to downshift. Dead simple. No moving of the brake lever or double clicking or whatever. If they made those with an ultrashift-like ability to drop half the cassette at a time while shifting front and back together or while making a big change (climbing into a sprint?), they might overtake Campagnolo for me, if for no other reason than the ability to use the more cheaply available (and more easy to find) Shimano-compatible components and wider range cassettes.
1 lever for braking, 1 lever for upshifting, 1 lever for downshifting - on both shifters of course, good ol' simplicity. I feel like it's screaming for 1 more lever on each shifter, to be used as a bell and safety flag.
Old 09-24-22, 11:23 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by Schlafen
1 lever for braking, 1 lever for upshifting, 1 lever for downshifting - on both shifters of course, good ol' simplicity. I feel like it's screaming for 1 more lever on each shifter, to be used as a bell and safety flag.
Better than doubletap for SRAM or a moving brake lever for shimano. Given that I don't have a problem reaching the thumb lever on my Campagnolo ergos, I don't see the need to switch, but, if I was wanting to build up a wide range gravel bike, the microshift levers would be my way to go. Well, besides the Kelly Take Offs with 10 speed DA dountube shifters that are going on the Schwinn Voyageur that I'm building up next, but everyone thinks those are too ugly.
Old 09-24-22, 02:14 PM
Schlafen

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 63 Posts
Better than doubletap for SRAM or a moving brake lever for shimano. Given that I don't have a problem reaching the thumb lever on my Campagnolo ergos, I don't see the need to switch, but, if I was wanting to build up a wide range gravel bike, the microshift levers would be my way to go. Well, besides the Kelly Take Offs with 10 speed DA dountube shifters that are going on the Schwinn Voyageur that I'm building up next, but everyone thinks those are too ugly.
I'm a Sram fanboy, yep. It has the most natural mechanical shifting experience out of the big 3. Switched to Sram 10 years ago because of Shimano' brake shift surprise thing and can't seem to like dealing with anything else after that. I've got Force AXS on a bike, again, simple, literally, bolt the parts on and off you go. Press 1 paddle to shift up, the other to shift down, together for front derailleur shift. Ridiculous, right? Because I used Sram for so long I've noticed that most people that dislike Sram are usually of the hamfisted persuasion, and don't really get along with any type of shifting, however, almost all of them use Shimano. I'm not implying anything, just an observation. A bit of finesse is required when shifting DoubleTap, mashing the lever is...oh forget it just get Shimano you'll be fine.

Di2 is nice when you don't need to shift, you know indoor trainer bikes and the like.

I've ridden Campagnolo mechanical on borrowed mates bikes, F that ! The newer carbon stuff is fugly too, the 4 arm cranks and the rear derailleurs (OMG what are those?) yuck. The older silver stuff at least looked good and R11 and SR11 5 arm cranks are probably the best looking cranks in the history of cranks.

This is just my opinion and experience, YMMV, yadda yadda yadda.
Old 09-24-22, 02:19 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I prefer campy hoods but like SRAM shifting
Old 10-02-22, 06:26 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 452 Posts
Picked up this Tuscany from FB marketplace few weeks ago.. $850.
Yellow tires really gave away how long it's been sitting.
Likes For cat0020:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.