Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.3

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.3

Old 10-03-22, 02:10 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22507 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
All of our hospitals / clinical settings are going to require masks regardless of recommendations for now. Our non clinical locations and HQ are “optional”
I don't disagree, and honestly I will likely continue to wear a mask at work for the time being, but I also understand patients have mask fatigue and I think it's ok to allow it to be optional.
Old 10-03-22, 02:33 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,595 Times in 5,942 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Can you simply stay where you are??

#inertia
No. This is the most expensive place to live in America, and without an income we couldn't afford it. We can only really afford to retire with the profit from the house.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-03-22, 02:41 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4829 Post(s)
Liked 7,820 Times in 3,704 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I'm actually thinking of trying flat pedals for the mtb.
Not being connected to my bike is weird to me. That said, there are plenty of people who prefer flats on the MTB.
Old 10-03-22, 02:45 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

One thing I'm finding really handy is Google Streetview. A couple times I've looked at listings that look really good, then I check out the neighborhood on Google Streetview, and it's not someplace to move to. The other things is that maps might show you how close a house is to various things like grocery stores or a such, but not what it would be like to walk there. This morning I was looking at a listing that seemed to be really close to shopping, but when I looked at Streetview, the two roads you'd have to walk along have NO sidewalks and NO provision for pedestrians. Basically 40-50 mph roads, not even at all useful for cycling.

EDIT: I should point out that we're not looking for a house to buy at the moment. We're really shopping cities and neighborhoods, to get a feel for the areas, etc. And as somebody pointed out to me this weekend, you should probably rent for some number of months in any place you haven't lived before you decide to move there. Good advice!

Old 10-03-22, 02:47 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13636 Post(s)
Liked 4,445 Times in 2,468 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
It's reaching that weird time of year, when y'all Back East are wearing jackets and leg warmers if not actual tights, and I'm still wearing short sleeve jerseys and looking forward to another month of warm, dry riding.

My transition to living back there will be difficult.

I had a discussion with Mrs. GJ this weekend. She was saying that she's worried that people from Florida will move to Buffalo to escape climate change. I said if they're trying to escape hurricanes, they'll move to North Carolina or other Southern states because so many of them LEFT the North East specifically to get away from the cold. Take my sister, for example. Southern New Jersey was too cold for her, and she's now gone through 2 big hurricanes hitting within 50 miles of her. I can't see her moving anywhere cold.

Then we discussed how cold it actually is. I said, "Crawl into the freezer downstairs, and then realize that's a WARM day in Buffalo in February!", plus I mentioned the 7 feet of snow a year. She said, "You'll be retired! Why would you need to leave the house?" I said, "What if one of us needs an ambulance?"
We have fleets of snow plows. It's not a problem.
Old 10-03-22, 02:56 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

No. This is the most expensive place to live in America, and without an income we couldn't afford it. We can only really afford to retire with the profit from the house.
Ugh, that sucks. Reverse mortgage an option??
Old 10-03-22, 02:58 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

One thing I'm finding really handy is Google Streetview. A couple times I've looked at listings that look really good, then I check out the neighborhood on Google Streetview, and it's not someplace to move to. The other things is that maps might show you how close a house is to various things like grocery stores or a such, but not what it would be like to walk there. This morning I was looking at a listing that seemed to be really close to shopping, but when I looked at Streetview, the two roads you'd have to walk along have NO sidewalks and NO provision for pedestrians. Basically 40-50 mph roads, not even at all useful for cycling.

EDIT: I should point out that we're not looking for a house to buy at the moment. We're really shopping cities and neighborhoods, to get a feel for the areas, etc. And as somebody pointed out to me this weekend, you should probably rent for some number of months in any place you haven't lived before you decide to move there. Good advice!
Agree use street view. In our area, where real estate is also quite hot, there are occasionally houses that seem to be a "good value" until you realize they are at or near a major road and the traffic or other problems make them less desirable.
Old 10-03-22, 03:01 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10886 Post(s)
Liked 4,558 Times in 2,088 Posts
Roughly when does that happen? Too soon?
Roughly November 1st or whenever I have to start wearing my winter shoes. My feet are too wide for booties so I just go to CX boots for winter.

Old 10-03-22, 03:04 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3075 Post(s)
Liked 1,784 Times in 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Broke a spoke on my MTB yesterday. I'm pretty sure it was impact from a rock that was bouncing along the fireroad descent we were on. It's a bummer, but I'm REALLY impressed with these Stan's Podium SRD wheels - super light (1300g), carbon rims, and way more durable than expected. Despite the low spoke count and low profile rim, the wheel stayed pretty true, even missing a spoke. Granted, a disc brake wheel only needs to be true enough so the tire doesn't rub the frame, but it didn't seem significantly different than when it had all its spokes. I pulled the rest of the spoke out through the hub, and finished my ride with zero issues.
One of my bikes has been missing a spoke for more than a year. But I ride like the old man that I am.
Old 10-03-22, 03:10 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Ugh, that sucks. Reverse mortgage an option??
I'll have to ask Tom Selleck.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 10-03-22, 03:11 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10886 Post(s)
Liked 4,558 Times in 2,088 Posts
Whenever I use mtb spds on my road bikes, I really don’t notice much difference in power transfer until I switch back to road pedals in the spring and then it feels like much better power transfer. For the record, my road and mtb shoes are both the same model of Lakes, CX 238s.

Old 10-03-22, 03:11 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
One of my bikes has been missing a spoke for more than a year. But I ride like the old man that I am.
I rode this down 6 miles of mixed singletrack and road descent at a pretty quick pace. Nothing significantly harsh, however.
Old 10-03-22, 03:13 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
Not being connected to my bike is weird to me. That said, there are plenty of people who prefer flats on the MTB.
When I first rode a bike as an adult around 1983, I think, it was on an old 3 speed that my landlord left in the ivy for a few years. I rode that thing for 6 months and that was the last time I rode any bike on flats.

I don't know if I will like it but I feel like I could deal with technical stuff better if I could take a foot off or twist more. OTOH it would suck to buy a pair of Five Tens and some flats and not be happy with it.
Old 10-03-22, 03:25 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

I spent a good part of the afternoon installing the dyno wheel and lights on the Trek. It doesn't work. Trouble shooting electrical things in not my strong suit. Everything worked fine when I put it away a few years ago. I guess I can buy a cheap circuit tester and go through it piece by piece, starting, of course with the dynamo. If that doesn't put out, there's no point in going any further. I have another dyno wheel, in 27", but it's the type that uses the frame for ground, and I've never really understood how to wire it. Maybe I can get over that hump if need be.
Old 10-03-22, 03:25 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

When I first rode a bike as an adult around 1983, I think, it was on an old 3 speed that my landlord left in the ivy for a few years. I rode that thing for 6 months and that was the last time I rode any bike on flats.

I don't know if I will like it but I feel like I could deal with technical stuff better if I could take a foot off or twist more. OTOH it would suck to buy a pair of Five Tens and some flats and not be happy with it.
I feel like being connected helps me on technical stuff. That said, I walk a lot more stuff than I used to.

From what I read on the MTBR forum, Five Tens are over-rated. I don't have any personal experience.
Old 10-03-22, 03:38 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
I feel like being connected helps me on technical stuff. That said, I walk a lot more stuff than I used to.

From what I read on the MTBR forum, Five Tens are over-rated. I don't have any personal experience.
Some of the women I have ridden with use Five Tens and they make them in my size in certain styles. I think Shimano makes shoes for flats now but I don't know if in my size.
Likes For big john:
Old 10-03-22, 04:37 PM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 95 Posts
Same here. I built up my first SS/FG last month and I didn't even last a couple minutes on the bike with flat pedals. I made a u-turn back to the house and threw on the extra pair of Look x-tract pedals. Also, I made the switch to spd pedals on my last (4) builds and don't see myself going back to Look Keos.
Likes For primov8:
Old 10-03-22, 04:40 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13636 Post(s)
Liked 4,445 Times in 2,468 Posts

I've ridden the single speed with flat pedals all summer. Of course, I'm riding the MUP in street clothes with Mrs. rjones28.
Likes For rjones28:
Old 10-03-22, 04:52 PM
seedsbelize2

I haven't actually ridden the bike though, just spun the wheel. I'll take it for a spin this evening or tomorrow morning. It might be just fine.
Old 10-03-22, 05:05 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10101 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts
The thru-axles on my commuting bike like to unscrew themselves unless the levers are jammed so hard I worry I won’t be able to loosen them in case of a flat. However, the ones on my road bike never move. I wonder what the difference is…
Old 10-03-22, 05:09 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Speaking of pedals, was having one of those magical days on the Ritchey on Saturday. You know, those days when every single time you start up your cleat hits the pedal exactly right and *CLICK!* you're clipped in? No one-legged pedaling while looking down, no repeatedly trying to flip the pedal just right so you get the cleat in, just *click!*.

Then Mike came up on my right side at a stop and spooked me and I had to unclip my LEFT foot. Holy hannah, but I am clumsy with my left foot! No wonder I leave it clipped in! It took me at least FIVE TRIES to get clipped in! Definitely not ambidextrous with my feet.

Old 10-03-22, 05:10 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10101 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts
I kind of enjoy the cruisers that resorts and marinas lend out. Sometimes I run errands in sneakers on clipless pedals. That’s not so pleasant.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 10-03-22, 05:13 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Speaking of pedals, was having one of those magical days on the Ritchey on Saturday. You know, those days when every single time you start up your cleat hits the pedal exactly right and *CLICK!* you're clipped in? No one-legged pedaling while looking down, no repeatedly trying to flip the pedal just right so you get the cleat in, just *click!*.

Then Mike came up on my right side at a stop and spooked me and I had to unclip my LEFT foot. Holy hannah, but I am clumsy with my left foot! No wonder I leave it clipped in! It took me at least FIVE TRIES to get clipped in! Definitely not ambidextrous with my feet.
Speedplays on my road bikes. No flippin' flipping required.
Old 10-03-22, 05:38 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Speedplays on my road bikes. No flippin' flipping required.
I almost never have any issue with Look Delta pedals, but Keos are different. They don't seem to be weighted on the back side as heavily so when you push off they often spin rather than hanging in the right orientation for the front of the cleat to catch them, like the Deltas.

Old 10-03-22, 05:48 PM
seedsbelize2

I have toe clips without straps on my Campy Record pedals, so I never have to use them upside down. MTB platforms on the other road bike. Truvative. I've had them for eons. An Ebay purchase.
New Balance light hiking shoes are my foot wear(ware?) of choice, in both instances. And wool socks. Always wool socks.

Last edited by seedsbelize2; 10-03-22 at 05:51 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.