Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Measuring hill difficulty

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-16-22, 09:42 AM
CoogansBluff

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts

Is there a good way of measuring the difficulty of hills? If the hills are similar in grade or distance, then it would seem pretty simple. But can you compare a 1/4 mile hill to a 2-mile hill? And I guess you'd have to start by defining exactly what a hill is.
Old 09-16-22, 09:49 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by CoogansBluff
Is there a good way of measuring the difficulty of hills? If the hills are similar in grade or distance, then it would seem pretty simple. But can you compare a 1/4 mile hill to a 2-mile hill? And I guess you'd have to start by defining exactly what a hill is.
One other significant difference is terrain -- e.g., a 20% grade on smooth pavement might be easier than a 10% grade on an MTB or gravel route which may include potholes, rocks, tree roots, and mud.

Another difference would be elevation: I've done some big climbing events at elevations as high as >14,000 feet; the thin air takes a toll.
Old 09-16-22, 10:09 AM
308jerry

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
One other significant difference is terrain -- e.g., a 20% grade on smooth pavement might be easier than a 10% grade on an MTB or gravel route which may include potholes, rocks, tree roots, and mud.

Another difference would be elevation: I've done some big climbing events at elevations as high as >14,000 feet; the thin air takes a toll.

Any grade at 14,000 feet, would all have to be downhill. The only thing that would need factored in at that point is what shape are the brakes in
​​​​​​...
Old 09-16-22, 10:17 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by 308jerry
Any grade at 14,000 feet, would all have to be downhill. The only thing that would need factored in at that point is what shape are the brakes in
​​​​​​...
Incorrect, even if only for 130 vertical feet.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-16-22, 10:24 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
noun
1. a naturally raised area of land, not as high or craggy as a mountain.

The rest should be easy ...
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-16-22, 10:27 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,166 Times in 763 Posts
What I learned this week on Bike Forums is that we don't talk about distance when climbing hills.
Likes For prj71:
Old 09-16-22, 10:34 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
This link answers the OPs question.

https://epictrain.me/2018/08/22/fiets-what/
Old 09-16-22, 10:38 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
If you have to get off and walk, it's a difficult hill.
Likes For seypat:
Old 09-16-22, 10:43 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard

This ^^^^

See also: https://pjammcycling.com
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-16-22, 10:44 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by prj71
What I learned this week on Bike Forums is that we don't talk about distance when climbing hills.
Incorrect, as demonstrated by the website that Paul links, below.

In the formula, H=distance climbed. As the site explains, FIETS is "how much will you climb, in how much distance and what is its height." (The part I italicized is H, the actual climbing.)

Old 09-16-22, 11:00 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
But can you compare a 1/4 mile hill to a 2-mile hill?
There are many differences between riders, bikes, gearing, etc.

A 1/4 mile hill at a 30% grade may well be more intense than a 2 mile hill at a 2% grade.

But, you can also look at your effort on the two hills. Time, speed, etc.

Many ride trackers, computers, power meters, etc, will give an estimate of average power and calories consumed. A good power meter will give you a pretty decent estimate. Cheap computers can be taken with a grain of salt.
Old 09-16-22, 11:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts

Especially when caveated by Koyote 's factors: road/path quality and effects of altitude.

I haven't done the crazy climbing like some of you guys, but I'd also point out that if planning a ride on really big hills, I definitely want to know the wind forecast for that day.
Old 09-16-22, 11:03 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I do... a vertical mile of climbing can be an intense day. Add a few rollers and hit a couple of vertical miles and it can make for a long day.
Old 09-16-22, 11:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Koyote
Incorrect, as demonstrated by the website that Paul links, below.

In the formula, H=distance climbed. As the site explains, FIETS is "how much will you climb, in how much distance and what is its height." (The part I italicized is H, the actual climbing.)

Also, D = total distance traveled in meters is part of the formula.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-16-22, 11:41 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
About as universal a measure as I can think of: percentage grade. Along with the length of the grade, that measure works well for informing how a given grade compares to another.

Beyond that, how a given person will take it, and how difficult it'll seem, will vary from person to person. Of course, everybody's different.

For myself, it's easy. If it's over ~5% grade and anything longer than a few hundred yards, it's impossible and I'm walking. If it's just a couple percent grade, almost without respect to distance, then it's something I can do. But then, I've got an old injury to contend with. Slow and steady wins that race, so to speak. These days, I'm just happy I'm still able to cope, using an older MTB with sub-15g.i. gearing. These days, I take one look at photos of the Stelvio Pass (and other similar grades), and my first thought is: "Give me the car keys."

Back in the day, I used to do distance running. Quite often, into the hills. (aka "Trail running.") Over a handful of years, I got much stronger and both strong and fit enough that I could nearly perform as briskly in the hills as on the flats. For whatever reason, the gods blessed me with shorter legs but a strong physique, which for running in such places (hills) worked out well. After a half-dozen years, it didn't much matter what a "hill" presented. I could do it, and it wouldn't hurt much more than any other hill. I had a hill-climbing running "gear" and a way of attacking the hill that worked. Brief respites before the next climb were generally sufficient. Even ~15% climbs up and over ridges became relatively commonplace, for training. And many of those runs approached "race" pace. Go figure. Never could accomplish the same sort of thing on a bike. My friends thought I was nuts. None of my running friends but one could keep up with me, on the hillier parts of climbs, when we were pushing things. We never did figure out why the differences were so great.

Last edited by Clyde1820; 09-17-22 at 06:34 AM.
Old 09-16-22, 11:46 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,826 Posts
This thread is a mediocre place for a nagging question about hills. Is it better to attack the beginning incline of a hill to increase initial momentum or just find a comfortable pace you can ride the entire hill. For instance, I am thinking 5% for a mile.

I usually will take a hard run a the start of a longish hill but to me it seems like a waste of energy without any real gain. Correct?

And back to the thread… time X distance x power (or heart rate) is a nice lame way to calculate.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-16-22, 12:06 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
About as universal a measure as I can think of: percentage grade. Along with the length of the grade, that measure works well for informing how a given grade compares to another.
Yup. A few years ago, I rode this event, which includes Canton Avenue, which has a 37% grade -- the steepest road in the United States. But it hits that max grade for just a few meters, and the whole hill is only a few hundred feet from base to top. There were several other climbs in the event that were not quite as steep, but much longer and more challenging.

Originally Posted by rsbob
This thread is a mediocre place for a nagging question about hills. Is it better to attack the beginning incline of a hill to increase initial momentum or just find a comfortable pace you can ride the entire hill. For instance, I am thinking 5% for a mile.
If it's a mile long hill witgh 5% grade, that running start is practically useless. Attacking at the base only gives a meaningful advantage if you're on short punchy rollers, which allow you to carry momentum from the descent up onto the next little climb.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-16-22, 12:50 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
The OP only ask about a 1/4 mile of climbing compared to 2 miles or more of climbing. Not sure how we got to the mountains so fast where 14 to 30 miles of fairly constant climbing might be involved.

As more to the OP's question, I think it mainly just comes down to past experience of what you have ridden before and your best guess. Augmenting your past experience with route profiles to see the grade of the sections of what you did and what you wish to do help in making that comparison. As does knowing what the surface is like. And for most paved road google maps can give you a street view which you can "drive" to see what the pavement is like and the surroundings. However those sometimes are years old may not be exactly the conditions today.

RideWithGPS, Strava, GarminConnect, MapMyRide and other websites can show you route profiles and the grade percent for any segment you select out of that route profile.
Old 09-16-22, 01:14 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Iride01
The OP only ask about a 1/4 mile of climbing compared to 2 miles or more of climbing. Not sure how we got to the mountains so fast where 14 to 30 miles of fairly constant climbing might be involved.
In large part because any objective mathematical measure of difficulty would be the same formula for mountains or hills.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-16-22, 01:26 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by livedarklions
In large part because any objective mathematical measure of difficulty would be the same formula for mountains or hills.
And where does one get all the data to put into those formulas? Seems simpler to just do it my way and just compare to similar segment of my past experience. Barring no experience, then just ride them to get some experience.

While I agrees math makes all things possible. It does sometimes keep you indoors too long working on the calculations, arguing with others about 2 - 5% variances and missing the opportunities to ride.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-16-22, 02:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

And where does one get all the data to put into those formulas? Seems simpler to just do it my way and just compare to similar segment of my past experience. Barring no experience, then just ride them to get some experience.

While I agrees math makes all things possible. It does sometimes keep you indoors too long working on the calculations, arguing with others about 2 - 5% variances and missing the opportunities to ride.

I don't think we're disagreeing at all, I just made the same point about gearing where there are definitely "this is 10% more" type comparisons. The point is we can know how the different slopes can compare to each other, but until we try them, we don't know how much or even whether those differences matter to us. If someone can't do 1 mile at 5% grade, the percentage difference of difficulty to 1 mile at 6% may be objectively calculable, but it really doesn't matter to that rider.

TL/DR--those 2-5% differences may be objectively measurable, but how they affect you is not.
Old 09-16-22, 02:12 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
My method is to ride them.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 09-16-22, 02:32 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I don't think we're disagreeing at all, I just made the same point about gearing where there are definitely "this is 10% more" type comparisons. The point is we can know how the different slopes can compare to each other, but until we try them, we don't know how much or even whether those differences matter to us. If someone can't do 1 mile at 5% grade, the percentage difference of difficulty to 1 mile at 6% may be objectively calculable, but it really doesn't matter to that rider.

TL/DR--those 2-5% differences may be objectively measurable, but how they affect you is not.
I'm not disagreeing with what you or any other is saying either. I just don't see how all the comparisons to riding long mountain climbs or determining FIETS will help the OP make a determination. Even with those numbers the OP still won't know what they are able to do with out prior experience.
Old 09-16-22, 02:44 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob

I usually will take a hard run a the start of a longish hill but to me it seems like a waste of energy without any real gain. Correct?
Interesting question. As a sometime tourist and randonneur, the answer depends on the length and steepness of the climb. If by attacking I can get to the top, or nearly to the top, before I'm down into my lowest gear, that's the way to go. Hitting some rollers where I can make it over, I'll attack hard, shift down as necessary, and make it over with minimal net effort. 30 seconds of attacking vs. 2 minutes of pulling? No contest, I'll take a few seconds of slogging (or sometimes no slogging at all) to cut the time in low gear down significantly.

If, on the other hand, I'm going to be spending a long time cranking no matter what the beginning was like, no sense burning a match on this hill. Pedal at a sustainable effort at the bottom and shift down as required to maintain that effort.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 09-16-22, 02:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I'm not disagreeing with what you or any other is saying either. I just don't see how all the comparisons to riding long mountain climbs or determining FIETS will help the OP make a determination. Even with those numbers the OP still won't know what they are able to do with out prior experience.

Here's my classification system:
A. Stuff I can do easily
B. Stuff I can do but kind of hard, still fun
C. Stuff I can do but miserable
D. Stuff I can't do.
E. Stuff I really, really can't do.

TBH, I really hate steep descent more than I hate steep climbing. The roads and my eyes are both getting worse.
Likes For livedarklions:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.