Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

BB Quality Question

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

BB Quality Question

Old 09-26-22, 08:15 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
BB Quality Question

What is the general consensus regarding Shimano press fit BB? Specifically (SM-BB72-41) Ultegra 86.5 mm. I know there are several members who probably see a lot of these go through their shops and I was just wondering how they hold up and stand up to other brands?

I'm not necessarily asking how long it should last, but compared to other pricier boutique models how does it stand up? I mean... it seems like I could go through 2 or 3 of these and not even come close to the cost of a Hambini, BBinfinate or something like that.
Old 09-26-22, 08:45 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
The roundness of hole the bearing/BB is being pressed into is what effects longevity the Hambini fixes the roundness issues.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 09-26-22, 10:10 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I replaced a piece of crap FSA PF BB and not as bad crankset with a Tiagra 4600 crank and the bb you are asking about. I then replaced that crank set with a real nice CF Kuota, using the same bb. I have had them for a bit over a year and a couple thousand miles, no issues of any kind.
Old 09-26-22, 12:02 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,204 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I replaced a piece of crap FSA PF BB and not as bad crankset with a Tiagra 4600 crank and the bb you are asking about. I then replaced that crank set with a real nice CF Kuota, using the same bb. I have had them for a bit over a year and a couple thousand miles, no issues of any kind.
Eh, not trying to be difficult, but a couple thousand miles isn't much of a check. Check back in 10 years maybe?
Old 09-26-22, 12:24 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Eh, not trying to be difficult, but a couple thousand miles isn't much of a check. Check back in 10 years maybe?
If you read the original post through, the poster states they are not questioning longevity. He/she is asking about any experience anyone has had with that particular bb, ergo, my post. If I am still riding in 10 years, and I still have the same bb, I will by happy to post an update. Likely, I would need a reminder.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 09-26-22, 07:36 PM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by delbiker1
If you read the original post through, the poster states they are not questioning longevity. He/she is asking about any experience anyone has had with that particular bb, ergo, my post. If I am still riding in 10 years, and I still have the same bb, I will by happy to post an update. Likely, I would need a reminder.
Exactly. I was just thinking about how they compare against a boutique BB. I'd much rather buy a capable $35 BB from Shimano every 10 years than unnecessarily pay $235. I was wondering if the Shimano BB had any known history.
Old 09-26-22, 07:57 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 263 Posts
There's not a problem with the Shimano BB's. But any press fit BB is going to present problems over time and imo requires more maintenance than a threaded BB mainly because it is not possible, within the reasonable price ranges of the bike frame, to have all the parts, openings, etc. trued as close to zero tolerance or even 0.0001, or what you may think of a low tolerance, to be in order to lessen wear and creaking sounds due to movement of the parts in their openings.

I generally replace my BB every 2 or 3 years or roughly 18000-21000 miles over three years, I use the Dura Ace threaded...9100 I think...BB which can be had for $50ish retail. It spins smoothly and works just fine on my Aethos. I'd use a similar press fit BB or spend a bit less and be just as happy. I'd rather spend $50 every 2 or 3 years than spend several hundred on an expensive BB...over $200... that may last a year or two longer. They spin nicely, I've installed them in bikes at the shop, and are light and jewelry like but I'd rather have robust.

Were it me I'd spend the money on a good quality Shimano BB, whether press fit or threaded, and know it is going to fit as expected, spin well and last a long time.
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 09-27-22, 07:33 AM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by Kai Winters
Were it me I'd spend the money on a good quality Shimano BB, whether press fit or threaded, and know it is going to fit as expected, spin well and last a long time.