Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Grimey Ride Conditions

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Grimey Ride Conditions

Old 06-13-21, 01:04 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Grimey Ride Conditions

Not sure if I'm paying more mind to the environment conditions or if it's just that dirty out, but it seems the grit, grime, geese poo, & natures compost is collecting on the bicycle more so now than in the past few years.
I generally wipe down the equipment after each ride & look over the mechanics of things, but lately I need to do a bit more than that to "upkeep" the stuff. No big changes to the bicycle nor routes & even if using fenders, guards, mud flaps, or saran wrap, the gunk & junk just clings to everything.
Had some small "twigs", leaves, plant buds, & no longer flying insects wedged in the ders's as well as in-between the cogs. I generally ride the road & paved paths with the road bicycle. If I were rolling on the unbeaten paths or thru wooded trails [no happening with the road-b] it would be a nonissue, but that's not the case here. I'd rather expect other types of debris, such as water bottle fragments, hair ties, discarded face masks, spent candy wrappers & the such, but not picking that junk out as of late.
However, if I strictly ride on the road [with vehicles brushing close by] the aftermath is not near as bad. The minute I venture onto a paved path or road areas that are more "country" like, I can expect a frame full of the aforementioned grime.
For those that ride the road, have you noticed an increase of "cleaning" maintenance after each ride?
Old 06-13-21, 01:19 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Worms are worst. They collect under the brakes, fork, down tube. They stink and dry hard as cement. Don't get them all year, mostly in the Spring after a rain.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-13-21, 01:39 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,289 Times in 7,228 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Worms are worst. They collect under the brakes, fork, down tube. They stink and dry hard as cement. Don't get them all year, mostly in the Spring after a rain.
Many years I did a charity ride through DE farm country. Rained a bit one day. Worms all over the road. Then the sun came out and it got baking hot. Took the bike to a shop for a good cleaning and tuneup. The mechanic, who had built up the frame for me, was not happy to have to pry off all the crusted worms from the brakes and downtube.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-13-21, 03:44 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I hate goose poop. it can contain E. Coli, listeria, & bird flu. Nasty crap!
Old 06-13-21, 04:54 PM
hose
Miyata Mike

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 46 Posts
live to ride in the muck
Old 06-13-21, 05:02 PM
Troul 

my rides looked all mucked up by the time I'm done!
Old 06-14-21, 05:36 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
No increase in grime on these roads or extra cleaning.

There are some trees though, that drop millions of little tiny leaves, like blades. The really stick to the bottom of the downtube and hang on to the cables. Hard to remove, I hate 'em!
seem to me that you're limberness isn't favorable to removing the wasted organic mess. Might be easier to flip the bicycle over to address the natural debris that's adhered itself to your equipment?
Old 06-14-21, 09:07 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
What does my limberness have to do with these little leaves catching onto the frame and cables then hardening? Doesn't matter if I stand on my head, they are hard to remove.
going out on a limb & suspecting ya missed the pun.
Old 06-23-21, 07:36 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
brings to mind a commute home, during a buggy section, where some were hitting me in the face. thought a big bee or wasp flew into my leg & was about to sting me. I immediately went to swipe it with a gloved hand only to realize it was a glop of canine excrement. talk about a buzz-kill ewww
Old 06-23-21, 01:12 PM
Troul 

been taking some intentional "road" routes as of late, & guess what, minimal nasties. Even with the cottonwood blowing around, I still noticed less mess. Likely will be doing some miles on the "bike path" for my next ride & using some park cut-thru areas. I should bring some coins for the automated car wash to ride thru in whole. Nature is going to be nasty!