Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Japanese built Raleigh International: Raleisonic?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Japanese built Raleigh International: Raleisonic?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-21, 06:17 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
I have one of the red "Raleighsonics" but this does not appear to be one of those so it likely predates 1982. Since you have added it to a zombie thread on a topic that doesn't seem to match your bike (the Raleighsonics were only made in 1982 I believe) I suggest that you add a new topic and also include some better photos of your bike. If you want more reading on Raleighsonics though, there are a couple of more recent and comprehensive threads:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...e-capsule.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...onic-bike.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ational-2.html

Last edited by davester; 08-17-21 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-17-21, 06:26 PM
guelphite
Prince of the Royal City

Bikes: Marinoni, Bianchi, Peugeot, Raleigh, CCM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The componets may not be as old as you think. The (Nuovo) Gran Sport was introduced for the 1975 model year and was still available in 1981. In fact, it was spec'd on that year's Competition GS. There are even a couple of changes that happened circa 1978-1979 to help tell if it's eralier or later (Nuovo) Gran Sport. 1978 saw CPSC changes, which included the introduction of a lip on the outside edge of the front of the front derailleur cage. The 1979 model year saw the introduction of the 5 pin crankset, though I have seen some 1979+ Competitition GS with the 3 pin crankset.

The serial number is not quite what I would expect for a Japanese built Raleigh of the period. The 3rd character should be a letter, as opposed to the number zero. However, this character is not complete and could be a partially formed or obscured "G". Either way, it could still be reverse engineered to 1981.

During the 1980s, Raleigh's Japanese source used the same serial number format as Nottingham, who had taken over the mass production mass production 531 frames after the Worksop divison closed circa 1980. So, while the dropouts suggest Japnese manufacturer, England cannot be ruled out. Raleigh Canada could have used either or both sources. The headbadge should say Nottingham or have "////////" marks along the bottom fror a Japanese manufactured frame.
Thanks again T-Mar, I told the owner that it would be you to go to! Cheers.
Old 09-21-21, 09:13 AM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by guelphite
Okay, I did see the 'N' may of been by Panasonic
Serial: N106269

Bottom bracket with serial #
I would suggest that the serial number is N1C6269.

I have seen two other Competiton GS, made in Japan, with this format of serial number. Both serial numbers began with N1C6xxx.

The letter "N" could stand for National Bicycle Industrial Company of Japan. The first digit is for the year of frame manufacture, 1 = 1981.
The letter "C" is for the month of frame manufacture, C = March.

Originally Posted by T-Mar
The componets may not be as old as you think. The (Nuovo) Gran Sport was introduced for the 1975 model year and was still available in 1981. In fact, it was spec'd on that year's Competition GS. There are even a couple of changes that happened circa 1978-1979 to help tell if it's eralier or later (Nuovo) Gran Sport. 1978 saw CPSC changes, which included the introduction of a lip on the outside edge of the front of the front derailleur cage. The 1979 model year saw the introduction of the 5 pin crankset, though I have seen some 1979+ Competitition GS with the 3 pin crankset.

The serial number is not quite what I would expect for a Japanese built Raleigh of the period. The 3rd character should be a letter, as opposed to the number zero. However, this character is not complete and could be a partially formed or obscured "G". Either way, it could still be reverse engineered to 1981.

During the 1980s, Raleigh's Japanese source used the same serial number format as Nottingham, who had taken over the mass production mass production 531 frames after the Worksop divison closed circa 1980. So, while the dropouts suggest Japnese manufacturer, England cannot be ruled out. Raleigh Canada could have used either or both sources. The headbadge should say Nottingham or have "////////" marks along the bottom fror a Japanese manufactured frame.
Raleigh's Japanese source used the same serial number format as Nottingham, . . .
When you say "Raleigh's Japanese source" , which Raleigh are you talking about?
TI Raleigh in the UK, TI Raleigh (USA) Inc., TI Raleigh Industries of Canada?
In the early 1980s they each had their own product line for their own market.

In Japan in 1980, the Nation Bicycle Industrial Company (NBIC) published a document about its history. In that document NBIC states that in 1980 NBIC began to export bicycles to TI Raleigh (USA). NBIC also marketed bicycles using their brand names National and Panasonic, and other names.

The bicycles that NBIC exported to TI Raleigh (USA) Inc. did not have Nottingham format serial numbers. The serial numbers on the Raleigh USA bicycles from NBIC mostly started with the letter "N", just like the TI Raleigh UK Nottingham format serial numbers. But that is where the similarity ends.

Raleigh Nottingham serial numbers were usually found on the seat tube, started with "N" and were nine characters in length.

The NBIC manufactured frames for TI Raleigh (USA) were usually found on the bottom bracket shell and were seven characters in length.

I have never seen a Raleigh brand bicycle with a frame made in Japan with a Raleigh Nottingham format serial number.