Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

C&V events in Europe 2021

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

C&V events in Europe 2021

Old 08-20-21, 02:32 PM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 996 Times in 355 Posts
[QUOTE=non-fixie;22192418]
Mrs non-fixie and I just arrived at Erotica Germania. Got the race numbers and the bag with goodies:

​​​​​​QUOTE]

Check ..

Already miss it now, have fun!
Likes For fabiofarelli:
Old 08-21-21, 08:46 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked 2,726 Times in 526 Posts
I think Erotica Germania is a different event altogether
Old 08-21-21, 09:50 AM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 215 Posts
N-F.......I am looking at the 2021 calendar and see no events before June. I do understand the reason for this. But.....hoping that the situation may improve in 2022, were there any European CV events in April or May in the Before Times?
Old 08-21-21, 03:37 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,523 Times in 1,742 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
N-F.......I am looking at the 2021 calendar and see no events before June. I do understand the reason for this. But.....hoping that the situation may improve in 2022, were there any European CV events in April or May in the Before Times?
Ahhhhh .... the Before Times!

Have a look at the mutilated 2020 calendar, the orginal dates are still there, and give a decent impression of what once was:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...pe-2020-a.html

Old 08-21-21, 04:07 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3780 Post(s)
Liked 3,284 Times in 2,145 Posts
-----

...one of the worst things about this %^&# pandemic thing IMHO has been the absence of event reports from our non-fixie

he always does such a fabulous job with the photos, descriptions, etc do not know how he finds time to do the event as well,,,and then there is the partaking of all of that delicious looking alimentation

hoping things will get back to normal...or at least more normal...for the 2022 season

-----
Old 08-21-21, 04:33 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Ahhhhh .... the Before Times!

Have a look at the mutilated 2020 calendar, the orginal dates are still there, and give a decent impression of what once was:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...pe-2020-a.html
Thanks. I knew it had to be there but looked at a few and was not sure which we original dates, updated dates or what. This helps a ton.
Old 08-22-21, 11:39 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Well, we're back. I did an elaborate check, and I can safely say that we were not at Erotica Germania.

Eroica Germania, however, was a lovely event. Due to Covid restrictions attendance was limited. I've been told that there were 550 participants. We did see familiar faces, and talked to some that we hadn't seen in two years or so. Our last C&V event had been in 2019, and It felt really nice to be back.

There was a small display of bikes, which contained some interesting examples. I liked this Rickert:

The ride itself was wonderful. Like Tuscany, this is wine country. It was our first visit to the area, and we were pleasantly surprised by the rolling hills and the sometimes breathtaking views.

Not knowing what we were up against, we took the short route, and the one refreshment stop was well-stocked:

Couldn't resist a selfie here. Who wouldn't like to live in a street called after one of the nicest wine grapes?

At the finish we all got our badges:

And after that, more of the local wine, of course. The "1818" was particularly nice:

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 09-01-21, 03:25 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Because of Covid, Anjou Velo Vintage was later than usual this year. Crammed between Eroica events in Germany and Holland, we had to give it a miss. But, there's always YouTube:

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 09-01-21, 06:25 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 1,881 Times in 924 Posts
Originally Posted by AUPedla
You are fortunate with so many C&V events, we only have one in Australia https://noosa-stradebianche.com.au/
While the pandemic has put an end to organised cycling events in Australia for the time being (retro or otherwise) there are some other retro events that will hopefully kick off again when things get back to 'normal':

Beverley Heroic in WA
Beeac Ride to the Rock in Victoria
Sydney Classic Bicycle Show
The Maldon Classic in Victoria
Likes For P!N20:
Old 09-03-21, 03:13 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Mrs non-fixie and I arrived in Valkenburg today, for Eroica Limburg. Picked up our race numbers:

It is nice to be back here. Looking forward to the ride tomorrow, even though I know it will be more demanding than expected. Happens to me every time.

Old 09-03-21, 05:51 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
Cool swag! Have fun on your hard ride!

But when is the London Tweed Ride going to begin again...
Old 09-05-21, 01:42 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Cool swag! Have fun on your hard ride!
Thank you! We had. See below for details.

But when is the London Tweed Ride going to begin again...
Their website and facebook page have been eerily silent since March 2020. One website mentions May 31st 2022 as the next date. No idea what that's worth.

Old 09-05-21, 01:43 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

It was nice to back in Valkenburg again for Eroica Limburg's 5th edition. This one was special, as Valkenburg - a well-known tourist hot spot - has not only been hit by Covid-19, but also by a recent flood.

When we got into town, many shops, restaurants and hotels were still closed because of the water damage that needs to be repaired. Normally, the terraces left and right would be filled with people:

On Friday evening there was a Raleigh Team memorial ride. Theo de Rooy still looks just as lean and mean as he did 40 years ago:

There was also some sort of celebration with Jan Janssen, Joop Zoetemelk and Bernard Hinault. They are in this picture somewhere ...

At the start on Saturday morning there was lots of picture-taking. Many used the old Raleigh Team W123 for background. Some local enthusiasts with really nice bikes (perhaps fabiofarelli can give us some more info on the beautiful Rentmeester on the right?):

Like on most previous versions the ride got us almost immediately onto the Cauberg climb. It looks more friendly than it is:

During the morning the weather was cool and the air hazy, which was kinda nice:

Mrs non-fixie heading up the pack:

Traditionally, the first stop is at Vélo Emile, home of the BRH (Belgisch Rijwiel Huis) brand. Selfie with our bikes:

During the day the air cleared, the sun came out, and the gravel showed more clearly in the pics:

There was a group of riders from Flanders on bikes of a hundred or more years old. We caught up with them at the third stop:

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 09-05-21, 01:43 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

This year the route was better than ever. Great scenery and lots of twisting and turning meant there was never a dull moment:

After the finish there were festivities, music and drinks, of course:

The pasta was included, and was rather tasty. Very tasty:

All in all it was one of the better Eroica Limburg editions, IMO. No mean feat in these Covid-stricken times.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 09-06-21, 11:03 AM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 996 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
Some local enthusiasts with really nice bikes (perhaps fabiofarelli can give us some more info on the beautiful Rentmeester on the right?):

Sorry I cannot tell a thing about that beautiful bike. But this Rentmeester must be in a great shape because the owner, in the Geminiani-St.Raphael jersey, is almost 83 years old Geert Polak. Geert has been a mechanic for many years. Among others in the mid-sixties at the Televizier cycling team.

A small year ago I blogged about Bram Polak, a strong Dutch rider between 1928 and 1934. He was several times selected for the world championships and won impressive some, those days prestigious, cycling races. In no time I had contact with Bram's sons and Geert did send me a leaflet/book he wrote about his dad.

My bearded friend with the Gazelle Champion Mondial, till a few years ago licensed cyclocrosser, knows Geert for many years and so the picture (the other one, not yours non-fixie) was taken quickly.

Last edited by fabiofarelli; 09-06-21 at 02:45 PM.
Likes For fabiofarelli:
Old 09-06-21, 03:58 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Thank you, fabiofarelli , for the history lesson and the great pictures. Much appreciated!

I just spent an hour or so reading newspaper reports about the 1931 The Hague - Brussels race, which Polak won. Apparently he rode part of the race with the - then - amateur Jan de Reus, father of the well-known frame builder.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 09-10-21, 10:17 AM
Mr. Spadoni 

L’Intrepedia just sent out an email. They for going to hold the event this year! Still a little short on some details but as the organizers indicted in an earlier interview, they wanted to be able to keep the flavor of the event if it was to be held, so looks like it should be the great event that I have experienced in the past.

Sadly, I will not share in the experience this year. My itinerary that in the past had one stop now has me changing planes multiple times in North America. Not a fan of airports right now. Plus I have to take a test before I can get on the plane to return. While I know that vaccine rates are high in Italy, I have also been tracking breakthrough cases locally, and rates of infection among the vaccinated are running about 20% based on this week’s report. So they do happen. A positive test before my flight would leave me stuck in Italy for a while. Normally, “stuck in Italy” is a phase that would make my heart sing, but when “in quarantine “ is attached to that phrase, It seems much less cheerful.

Maybe next year.
Old 09-10-21, 04:11 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
L’Intrepedia just sent out an email. They for going to hold the event this year! Still a little short on some details but as the organizers indicted in an earlier interview, they wanted to be able to keep the flavor of the event if it was to be held, so looks like it should be the great event that I have experienced in the past.

Sadly, I will not share in the experience this year. My itinerary that in the past had one stop now has me changing planes multiple times in North America. Not a fan of airports right now. Plus I have to take a test before I can get on the plane to return. While I know that vaccine rates are high in Italy, I have also been tracking breakthrough cases locally, and rates of infection among the vaccinated are running about 20% based on this week’s report. So they do happen. A positive test before my flight would leave me stuck in Italy for a while. Normally, “stuck in Italy” is a phase that would make my heart sing, but when “in quarantine “ is attached to that phrase, It seems much less cheerful.

Maybe next year.
Good to hear it's still on.

While life here in Europe seems to be slowly getting back to normal - Denmark has just ended all covid-related measures - traveling in and out is still a hassle.