Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

42T to 39T chainring swap

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-21, 09:57 AM
Amelio 
Let’s discuss bikes

Bikes: Apollo something, 1983 Bianchi Super, Specialized Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts

Hello everyone!

I took my 1980/82? Bianchi “Claire” out on her maiden voyage, and had a great ride. 😀
the steepest hill I did was a real challenge for me with my 28 on back and 42T chainring.

1) Would a 39 on front be noticeably better?
2) is there a cheaper freewheel I could buy to get me 30 in rear? Can I use a 7 or 8 speed instead of my 13-28?
3) is it worth going to SiS shifters and derailleur? does the derailleur really need changing

thanks for the info and to the detailed post to me yesterday, I hit my message quota ans couldn’t reply to say thanks!

PS when I got her back home to do some tweaks the front tire blew out read on the tire stand! That was some luck, it could have been at 35+ kilometres per hour!

*any tricks to the photo uploader? I’m trying to add in a picture of my chainrings and it just sits there with the upload button grayed out*

Last edited by Amelio; 09-06-21 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Adding pic
Old 09-06-21, 10:08 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
39 will help a little. Shimano makes a megarange in 6 speed but your rear derailleur might not handle it. Also if your bolt circle diameter is 130 you could go to 38 on front. If it's campy it will be 135 and 39 is your minimum.

Nice bike!
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 09-06-21, 10:11 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
Yes a you will notice a difference with a 39 up front, and you can probably switch to a 32 tooth freewheel without any other changes to the drive train.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 09-06-21, 10:17 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
Rather than mess with the rear gears, may I suggest converting to a triple? You'll get incredible range plus you'll go faster too, with all those gears. Of course, some expense would be involved, but that could be mitigated by going used. Just sayin.
I've seen you post the statement in bold more than once. Can you explain the logic?
Old 09-06-21, 11:45 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
39 will help a little. Shimano makes a megarange in 6 speed but your rear derailleur might not handle it. Also if your bolt circle diameter is 130 you could go to 38 on front. If it's campy it will be 135 and 39 is your minimum.

Nice bike!
+1. If you're going to buy a new inner ring, might as well go with a 38T.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 09-06-21, 11:45 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
You are faced with the problem many of us older folks have when wanting to continue use of a bike boom bike set up with a racing crankset and short cage rear derailleur.

As to your original question, a 39T would reduce your effort be (42-39)/42 = 7%. (i.e. about half the difference you get from shifting from your 24 to 28 cog; aka not much). /However, from squinting at the fuzzy photo of your bike I'd guess that the crankset is 144 bcd so you are likely stuck with the 42.

There are three possible routes to take to get lower gearing:

1. Get a long cage rear derailleur and longer chain and search for a 13-32 (or 34) 6- or 7-speed freewheel (8-speed won't work without a whole lot of hassle and $).. This is probably the cheapest and easiest route.

2. Change your crankset for a compact crank (50 (or 48)-34)

3. Go whole hog and do (1) and all trade the crankset and BB for a triple. This is a major operation and $$.

Forget about index shifting.

Also, your tube blew either because its ancient or you exceeded max inflation pressure. If you're running ancient tires then you should replace them before a serious blowout.
Likes For davester:
Old 09-06-21, 11:56 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
That first picture from a completely different bike threw me off, but I believe this is the OP's crank: https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.a...115&AbsPos=347

Since the blown tube has been mentioned in a couple of the OP's threads, I'd suggest it got pinched between the tire and rim on installation. A good practice is to put a little bit of air into the tube before installing it. Not much, just enough to give it some shape. That helps it to push away from the rim and into the tire once you've installed the second bead.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 09-06-21 at 12:11 PM.
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 09-06-21, 12:18 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
That first picture from a completely different bike threw me off, but I believe this is the OP's crank: https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.a...115&AbsPos=347
If that is indeed the case, then it is a 130 BCD and he could actually fit a 38T ring on there. Hilary Stone has a couple.
Likes For davester:
Old 09-06-21, 12:24 PM
Amelio 
Let’s discuss bikes

sorry about that the picture uploader was giving me a hard time and I accidentally chose that from my other vintage bike, an Apollo 😊

yeah those were the original tires I believe and I’m glad nothing serious happened. Also happy I didn’t sell some of my spare tubes n tires that I had kicking around. 😊

thanks very much for your input I really appreciate it.

QUOTE=ThermionicScott;22217586]That first picture from a completely different bike threw me off, but I believe this is the OP's crank: https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.a...115&AbsPos=347

Since the blown tube has been mentioned in a couple of the OP's threads, I'd suggest it got pinched between the tire and rim on installation. A good practice is to put a little bit of air into the tube before installing it. Not much, just enough to give it some shape. That helps it to push away from the rim and into the tire once you've installed the second bead. [/QUOTE]
Likes For Amelio:
Old 09-06-21, 12:32 PM
Amelio 
Let’s discuss bikes

it’s faster to ride the bike up a hill in a lower gear then push it up the hill?

Originally Posted by BFisher
I've seen you post the statement in bold more than once. Can you explain the logic?
Old 09-06-21, 12:41 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Random thoughts. Your dropout spacing is 126, the norm for the old 6-speeds. A new 7-speed FW will be a simple switch. (It looks like you have plenty of room between the chain now and the chainstay. 7-speed FWs can be a touch wider than the old 6 but there are things you can do if there is contact. Try it and come back here if so.

I'm a huge fan of triples and not-so-wide FWs. I have put many on bikes of your era. I always seek out 110 BCD triples because the chainring choices are so good. (I conceived the Peter Mooney of my username around a TA 52-42-28 triple. Re-geared it in 1995 with a 110 BCD triple. It's been 110 ever since, even now as a fix gear.)

If you can shift the current shifters comfortably - DON'T CHANGE! That allows endless playing with drivetrains with none of the hassle of getting shifters and derailleurs to work together.

The blowout - new folding tires on those rims? Do those rims have the bead hooks? (That old - probably not. The makers of folding tires assume that hook is there. With the old wire beaded tires, it was not needed.

And, as others have said - nice bike!

Last edited by 79pmooney; 09-06-21 at 12:43 PM. Reason: typo
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 09-06-21, 02:03 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 415 Posts
I also think the 39 ring on the front is a good idea. If you can find a freewheel 30 or 32 on the inside, I would do both, your knees will thank you.
2nd what 79pmooney said about your tires. If your rims don't have hooks, get some wire bead tires.
Likes For daverup:
Old 09-06-21, 05:13 PM
Amelio 
Let’s discuss bikes

thanks 66, i’ve ordered the 39 tooth original ring for the front. Any idea where I could get a decent deal on the freewheel? The ones I’m finding are C$250.

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Yes a you will notice a difference with a 39 up front, and you can probably switch to a 32 tooth freewheel without any other changes to the drive train.
Old 09-06-21, 05:18 PM
Amelio 
Let’s discuss bikes

you’re right I could’ve done a 38 but wanted to keep it as original as possible so I ordered a 39T. I couldn’t seem to find a 38 in silver that looked original. Thanks for pointing this out it’s appreciated!

Originally Posted by davester
If that is indeed the case, then it is a 130 BCD and he could actually fit a 38T ring on there. Hilary Stone has a couple.
Old 09-06-21, 05:21 PM
Amelio 
Let’s discuss bikes

i’m really not sure about the hooks I’m going to try and include a couple pictures here could you guys pls tell me if there are hooks or not? Thanks for the help, such a friendly group of people here so glad I found you!

Originally Posted by daverup
I also think the 39 ring on the front is a good idea. If you can find a freewheel 30 or 32 on the inside, I would do both, your knees will thank you.
2nd what 79pmooney said about your tires. If your rims don't have hooks, get some wire bead tires.
Old 09-06-21, 05:41 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I put a 39T inner on an early 42/52 DuraAce crank. It helped but wasn't a massive improvement. You might be able to find a Triplizer ring to convert your bike to a triple front. Have fun with the project.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 09-06-21, 05:54 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 415 Posts
Amelio I'm not seeing clearly the rim profile in your pics. That said, I think those are hooked rims.
Here's a link to a site with a pretty clear explanation of the difference,
Hooked and Hookless
Old 09-08-21, 05:49 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,186 Times in 961 Posts
Originally Posted by Amelio
Hello everyone!

I took my 1980/82? Bianchi “Claire” out on her maiden voyage, and had a great ride. 😀
the steepest hill I did was a real challenge for me with my 28 on back and 42T chainring.

2) is there a cheaper freewheel I could buy to get me 30 in rear? Can I use a 7 or 8 speed instead of my 13-28?

While the above is not the best picture to say with certainty, I believe your bike is not running a freewheel, but is instead equipped with a Shimano Uniglide Freehub cassette. I do not see any space for a removal tool. This is why I don't believe you have a freewheel. Also, the color of the sprockets are the color Shimano used on UG cassettes, back in the '80s.

Can you pull the wheel off and take a picture straight on to the sprockets and close up (just need to see the sprockets)?

If this is the case, you are sitting pretty and can build your own 7-8 speed cassette from a new SRAM, Sunrace, Shimano, etc., HG compatible cassette. Before I explain how, post the picture so I can confirm.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 09-08-21, 11:51 AM
Amelio 
Let’s discuss bikes

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
While the above is not the best picture to say with certainty, I believe your bike is not running a freewheel, but is instead equipped with a Shimano Uniglide Freehub cassette. I do not see any space for a removal tool. This is why I don't believe you have a freewheel. Also, the color of the sprockets are the color Shimano used on UG cassettes, back in the '80s.

Can you pull the wheel off and take a picture straight on to the sprockets and close up (just need to see the sprockets)?

If this is the case, you are sitting pretty and can build your own 7-8 speed cassette from a new SRAM, Sunrace, Shimano, etc., HG compatible cassette. Before I explain how, post the picture so I can confirm.
Hey Bob, here you go! I degreased it the best I could, and hopefully got all the angles. I think I've got a free hub w/cassette, but what do I know?!

Old 09-08-21, 11:56 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Hey Bob, here you go! I degreased it the best I could, and hopefully got all the angles. I think I've got a free hub w/cassette, but what do I know?!

I believe I have some similar hubs. Some are deep enough for more speeds than others but all can take modern freehub sprockets if the sprockets are slightly modified. You have an incredibly versatile hub there!
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 09-08-21, 12:00 PM
Amelio 
Let’s discuss bikes

Thanks Russ! When you say sprockets, do you mean cassettes? Sorry just trying to nail down this terminology, it's a tad bit confusing for me!

I believe I have some similar hubs. Some are deep enough for more speeds than others but all can take modern freehub sprockets if the sprockets are slightly modified. You have an incredibly versatile hub there!
Old 09-08-21, 12:08 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Thanks Russ! When you say sprockets, do you mean cassettes? Sorry just trying to nail down this terminology, it's a tad bit confusing for me!
yes, cassettes. The modern ones have slots in the hub with one slot a little wider to orient the sprocket so that indexed shifting works better. Your hub probable has all equal sized slots. The modern sprocket will need filed in one spot to fit. You will lose a little bit in terms of index shifting but I never noticed because I friction shift.
You will also need two chain whips to remove the outer sprocket.

This hub is similar to yours. I have built a custom cassette out of modern sprockets.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 09-08-21, 01:27 PM
Amelio 
Let’s discuss bikes

okay thanks for explaining all that. Could you please tell me about your set up that looks like a huge low gear on an older bike, love it! How does that older derailleur handle the big sprocket?

yes, cassettes. The modern ones have slots in the hub with one slot a little wider to orient the sprocket so that indexed shifting works better. Your hub probable has all equal sized slots. The modern sprocket will need filed in one spot to fit. You will lose a little bit in terms of index shifting but I never noticed because I friction shift.
You will also need two chain whips to remove the outer sprocket.

This hub is similar to yours. I have built a custom cassette out of modern sprockets.
Old 09-08-21, 02:30 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

okay thanks for explaining all that. Could you please tell me about your set up that looks like a huge low gear on an older bike, love it! How does that older derailleur handle the big sprocket?
the cassette I built is 14-16-18-21-24-28-32-36. It uses 9 speed spacing and fits on a 7 speed hub. The rear derailleur is a suntour long cage touring derailleur meant for wide range gearing.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 09-08-21, 02:47 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
To answer the original question, yes, it makes a difference. I got a 1982 Lotus Supreme this Spring that came with a 52/43 crankset and a 13-23 cassette. I found a 39 tooth chainring and a 13-26 cassette, and it made a BIG difference. I also got another bike with 52/40 and a 13/32 cassette, which did give me lower gears but I found the jumps to be too large, both because the cadence changes were too much AND because the derailleur required overshifting then backing off in order to change gears. I put a 13-26 on it and it shifts MUCH better.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.