Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Friction Shift Cable Housing Help.

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-12-21, 05:41 PM
jbmorrison

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all. I am new here. I have a question. Is it possible to use SIS (index) cable housing, for friction shift cable housing?.. I cannot find friction shift housing, any place. There is no LBS within a 3 hour drive for me. I thought I would ask here.
Thanks... JB..
Old 09-12-21, 06:04 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by jbmorrison
Is it possible to use SIS (index) cable housing, for friction shift cable housing?.
Absolutely. Cables too. You might even like it better as it gives a slightly less spongy feel.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 09-12-21, 06:16 PM
jbmorrison

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Absolutely. Cables too. You might even like it better as it gives a slightly less spongy feel.

Thank you very much!! CranyCrank....I knew not to use SIS housing for brakes. Thought there may be same issue with the shifters ..Agn Thanks..
JB.
Old 09-12-21, 06:28 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Sure, but there's no real advantage in using indexed derailleur cable housing with a friction shifting system. Before indexed shifting appeared on the scene, the same type of housing was used for both brakes and derailleurs, so if you have a friction shifting set-up, and some spare brake cable housing, go ahead and use that. But never use indexed derailleur cable housing for brakes; it's not strong enough and can fail catastrophically.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 09-12-21, 07:44 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 262 Posts
I Believe Velo Orange may have some friction cable housing.
Old 09-12-21, 09:28 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by jbmorrison
I cannot find friction shift housing anyplace.
It's just the same as brake cable housing.

I prefer to use it rather than derailleur housing with my friction shifters, because it never frays at the ends like derailleur housing can, especially when using the wrong size ferrules.
Old 09-12-21, 10:59 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
A re-cabling with Jagwire cables and housing will give surprising improvement to gear shifting. Modern indexing outer housing almost completely eliminates any sponginess in shifting. While you probably won’t notice a lot of improvement if you are using DT shifters, but with either Bar End or Thumbies, you will notice crisper, quicker shifting. Only one issue, is on some older road bikes you will need an adapting ferrule on the chain stay to accommodate the slightly thicker cable housing.
I re-cabled a friend’s friction shifting bike and was pleasantly surprised at the improvement.
Old 09-13-21, 08:58 AM
The MuffinMan

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Squirt some Tri Flo down the housing of brake and derailleur cables for reduced friction.
Old 09-13-21, 12:24 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
If you are replacing the housing on an old bike, then you likely will have to replace the shifter cables too. Modern shifter cables are quite a bit smaller in diameter than what we used BITD.

I guess for most it'd be considered a "duh" and the if you replace housings it'd be smart to replace the cables anyhow. But you didn't specifically say you were replacing them that I noticed.
Old 09-13-21, 05:07 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
The use of spiral wound shift housing dates from not only the days of friction shifting but from when freewheels and early cassettes had, at most, 7-cogs and cog spacing wasn;'t nearly as close as it is with 9-speed and above. Using index-compatible housing will allow more precise shifting that the new, less tolerant cog spacing benefits from.
Old 09-13-21, 05:19 PM
jbmorrison

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all of your reply's, and taking time to help!!...I am from the 10 Speed days and have been back in cycling for a couple of years now. I had to learn over again Ha!..I remember when the shift and brake cables were the same size (not so now). To clarify, I got rid of a pair of junky Shimano EF41 shifter/brake levers,changed them with Sunrace thumb friction shifters (I love them) and need some extra shift housing for a handle bar change on my travel/trekking bike..All I had was sis shift housings.. That was the reason I asked the question on here. I now can use my sis housing for the added length for the handlebar change...Thanks again for all the help

JB.