Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

CIÖCC - Sell? Replace? Restore?

Old 09-17-21, 02:47 PM
WhatTheDelromi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
CIÖCC - Sell? Replace? Restore?

I was going to post this under Classic and Vintage, but was afraid it would get flagged as miscategorized.

A few months ago I bought a very used late-70s CIOCC racing bike at a flea market. I liked it for its unusual name. Then I picked it up and was basically sold ($500) because of how light it was.

Mechanically it's a bit Frankenstein. Original Campy shifters were replaced with Shimano integrated (they beyond repair), the chain is the wrong size for the cassette, etc. I got a quote from my trusty bike repair guy to replace the system with new Campy integrated shifters. I would also need new rims to match the new hardware. Estimate came in at just over $1K. (Keep in mind these are New York City prices.)

I don't have total sticker shock except that it's twice what I was expecting. Apparently the right parts are hard to find in this market.

My initial instinct was to maybe sell the bike and buy a more conventional vintage road bike and the transaction wouldn't cost me a dime (I posted an ad on CL for $750 and quickly got a response and there's a lot of local vintage stock in the 300-400 range). Or throw $1K into her and be done with it.

I'd be more inclined to invest in the repairs if the body was clean. One of the things I liked about the bike was how scratched up it is (less likely to get stolen). That said, if I'm going all out on the mechanics, it got me thinking about restoring the frame. I don't even know where to begin with that...

So I am curious to see if people here have an opinion. I ride mainly for recreation and errands. Not looking to ride the Tour de France... But I'm also 6'4 and 220 pounds, so I really want a light frame.

If you're of the "replace" side of the divide, I'm open to recommendations of new light weight models that are currently on the market that won't break the bank but are still in the style of the original road bike.

Thanks!

Last edited by WhatTheDelromi; 09-17-21 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-17-21, 04:45 PM
kc0yef 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Buy a vintage groupset plenty here for under $500

Originally Posted by WhatTheDelromi
Estimate came in at just over $1K. (Keep in mind these are New York City prices.)
Thanks!
Old 09-17-21, 04:48 PM
kc0yef 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
here is a set came up today, not mine but for example

groups
Old 09-17-21, 04:48 PM
microcord

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 52 Posts
I ride mainly for recreation and errands.
A lot depends on your strength and the topography of your planned "recreation" area. For me, they're "weak" and "hilly" respectively. The weight of the bike is of little or no importance; what does matter a lot is the gearing. So what I'd do is check to the best of my ability that the frame is sound and undamaged, and, if it was, change wheels and drivetrain (with an "ultra-compact" crankset). I'll take 32-spoke wheels (you might consider 36 spokes), and components from Microshift, Sensah, or whatever company (i) doesn't charge a premium for promotion/"mystique", and (ii) currently has a working supply chain. The resulting bike would have almost everyone crinkling their noses for one reason or another, but I think I'd enjoy it. I could always up/side/retrograde it later.
Old 09-17-21, 05:28 PM
microcord

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by kc0yef
. . . for example

groups
The lowest gear is the combination of 42 (front), 23 (rear). I imagine that changing the freewheel to one going up to 26 would be straightforward. But even if I did that, I'd be limited to more or less flat rides. Boring! (One of my favourite regular rides has a stretch at 18%.)

However, topography, fitness and ambitions vary.
Old 09-17-21, 07:42 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked 2,930 Times in 1,861 Posts
My two cents.
#1 It seems to be the right size for you and it is a Ciocc, a rare and beautiful bird. You will regret letting it go, in my opinion. In fact, it is a legacy bike that wouldn't be horrible to refinish.
#2 There are several groupsets that would be more appropriate, a few of which are currently advertised in CV sales (which requires membership which is cheap and worth it), and would not require cold setting the frame for clearances.
~~Campagnolo Victory/Triomphe might be reasonable, if you wanted brifters, Chorus, Athena, or you could go lower priced toward Veloce
~~Shimano Tri-color would be crisp shifting and a group could be had somewhat reasonably. You can get early brifters for them
~~If you wanted to go a bit more modern you could go Tiagra with brifters

And for what it is worth, absolutely C and V. And would be a fun bike to restore. This would be the direction I would take if I wanted to update the Ciocc. https://www.ebay.com/itm/30414823040...QAAOSwULBhQoDj

I was going to post this under Classic and Vintage, but was afraid it would get flagged as miscategorized.

A few months ago I bought a very used late-70s CIOCC racing bike at a flea market. I liked it for its unusual name. Then I picked it up and was basically sold ($500) because of how light it was.

Mechanically it's a bit Frankenstein. Original Campy shifters were replaced with Shimano integrated (they beyond repair), the chain is the wrong size for the cassette, etc. I got a quote from my trusty bike repair guy to replace the system with new Campy integrated shifters. I would also need new rims to match the new hardware. Estimate came in at just over $1K. (Keep in mind these are New York City prices.)

I don't have total sticker shock except that it's twice what I was expecting. Apparently the right parts are hard to find in this market.

My initial instinct was to maybe sell the bike and buy a more conventional vintage road bike and the transaction wouldn't cost me a dime (I posted an ad on CL for $750 and quickly got a response and there's a lot of local vintage stock in the 300-400 range). Or throw $1K into her and be done with it.

I'd be more inclined to invest in the repairs if the body was clean. One of the things I liked about the bike was how scratched up it is (less likely to get stolen). That said, if I'm going all out on the mechanics, it got me thinking about restoring the frame. I don't even know where to begin with that...

So I am curious to see if people here have an opinion. I ride mainly for recreation and errands. Not looking to ride the Tour de France... But I'm also 6'4 and 220 pounds, so I really want a light frame.

If you're of the "replace" side of the divide, I'm open to recommendations of new light weight models that are currently on the market that won't break the bank but are still in the style of the original road bike.

Thanks!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 09-17-21, 10:24 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
The front stem is way high if you check stem goes down and the seat post is not stuck.

Last edited by zukahn1; 09-17-21 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-27-21, 07:30 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,353 Times in 882 Posts
If you can get $750 for it as-is, take it. You'd only get a $100-200 more if you fully restored it.
Old 09-30-21, 08:21 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
If you can get $750 for it as-is, take it. You'd only get a $100-200 more if you fully restored it.
I agree, I would sell it if you can actually get 750 for it. Too often people are swayed by the brand and over pay for a bike that "can" be worth a lot when "finished". IMO, unless extremely rare the money spent is rarely recouped.
You can find and unrestored Ciocc for well under 1500.00 if that's what you are looking for.
Good Luck, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 09-30-21, 12:33 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
As a rider, the patina and what ever workable components fitted would be just fine. That said, the bike does have collectable value and should never be left unattended. It is a high candidate for theft, even sporting its patina of age and mismatched component group.

Were I selling it, I would want at least $500. To get your best dollar, clean it up. Ensure that it road worthy and safe to ride. Resituate the seat post and steering stem. Take good pictures coupled with a complete description and list it locally. To that add a wee bit of patience and you will get your price. As for restoration...

If the bike is to be a keeper, fair enough - restore it. If it is to be sold, restoration will set you back more than you will get for the bike.

As for scratched up, often referred to as "patina of age", there is nothing wrong with presenting/riding the bike that way. My old Legnano Grand Premio sports a killer patina and I have resisted painting it for many years...

The old Torpado that I was given, a couple of years ago, arrived with too much patina so it got the full treatment, to the tune of several hundred dollars - but it is a treat for Winkin and Blinkin...