Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Brake help

Old 09-18-21, 02:57 PM
Richard65

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brake help

Hi I’ve done a bleed on my Shimano xt done it a few times and my lever almost touching the handlebars I’ve checked if any air in but theys no bubbles coming out when check
ive put new pads on as well and theys a good amount of clearance between pad and disc (I’ve pushed the pistons in as well) so I would understand why they would be more push but what I’m trying to wonder is they a way to make the lever more solid or a way to make the pads and disc closer together thank you
Old 09-18-21, 03:21 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
You still have air in the system somewhere.
Old 09-18-21, 03:26 PM
Richard65

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
You still have air in the system somewhere.
I’ve done it a few times just to see if theys air but when I syringe oil through it no air bubbles show up
Old 09-18-21, 03:33 PM
cxwrench

You're doing it wrong. If you have a soft lever it's because you have air in the system.
Old 09-18-21, 03:34 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Play with the free stroke and/or reach adjust?

Old 09-18-21, 03:35 PM
Richard65

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're doing it wrong. If you have a soft lever it's because you have air in the system.
my lever is soft because the pads are a bit a way from the disc I’m just wondering if theys a way I can make them closer
Old 09-18-21, 03:36 PM
Richard65

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Rolla;22235854]Play with the free stroke and/or reach adjust?

My reach adjust is fully out
Old 09-18-21, 06:01 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard65
my lever is soft because the pads are a bit a way from the disc I’m just wondering if theys a way I can make them closer
Because hydraulic brakes are a bit of a black box, I can't tell you whether the self-adjusting happens in the lever or the caliper, but it appears that's not functioning.

It's almost certainly trapped air or maybe contamination. Tapping the lever and caliper with something hard while bleeding, in addition to changing the angle of the bike around, might do it.
Old 09-18-21, 08:17 PM
cxwrench

Your lever is soft AND your pads are too far away from the rotor BECAUSE THERE IS AIR IN THE SYSTEM. Trust me on this one.
Old 09-18-21, 11:06 PM
Richard65

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your lever is soft AND your pads are too far away from the rotor BECAUSE THERE IS AIR IN THE SYSTEM. Trust me on this one.
what’s the best video if one to bleed?
Old 09-19-21, 02:26 AM
MUDCOWS

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you are totally sure there is no air in the system (my fav method is to remove pads, insert bleed block and feel for any spongyness while pulling the lever) and you are not happy with the throw of the lever you can try to over bleed the system.
Add about 15-20ml of brake fluid to syringe, attach to bleed port at the caliper and open system. Compress syringe until you feel some resistance then close bled port. Pull brake lever to see if you are happy with the throw and check if pads are not rubbing. Repeat if necessary.

Last edited by MUDCOWS; 09-19-21 at 07:33 AM.
Likes For MUDCOWS:
Old 09-19-21, 09:33 AM
cxwrench

what’s the best video if one to bleed?
Just watch some YT videos, you'll figure it out. There are hundreds if not thousands. I'm not going to waste my time watching a bunch to pick out the best.
Old 09-19-21, 11:13 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Take the wheel out and find something hard that you can slide up between the pads that fills the space between them completely. Squeeze the levers. Then you'll know better whether your issue is spongy feeling from trapped air or maybe something like the brake lever position adjustment.

Not that it should really have an effect on spongy brakes but have you measured your brake pads or rotor to see if they are within the limits specified by the mfr?

If you are losing any hydraulic fluid what so ever, then you will be getting air in them no matter how many times you bleed them.
Old 09-20-21, 07:23 AM
Richard65

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Take the wheel out and find something hard that you can slide up between the pads that fills the space between them completely. Squeeze the levers. Then you'll know better whether your issue is spongy feeling from trapped air or maybe something like the brake lever position adjustment.

Not that it should really have an effect on spongy brakes but have you measured your brake pads or rotor to see if they are within the limits specified by the mfr?

If you are losing any hydraulic fluid what so ever, then you will be getting air in them no matter how many times you bleed them.
I did this with a brake block and the brake was solid so after all messing around it was my disc for some reason my disc was thinner then my old one because I put my old one back in and the brake was more solid then my new disc so thank you for the advice you gived me as if I didn’t do the brake block I would probably be going round in circles