Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Rebuild Project - Traveling Bike, Trek FX 2 disc....

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-21, 03:49 AM
TravelBiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hey guys... heres my dilemma I'm looking to downsize the Trek FX 2 disc because the weight is a bit heavy, otherwise the ride is totally fine, and i like the way it looks in triple black, even though it has a few dings... i am a fulltime traveler and many times i stay in places with stairs that dont have elevators so that means i have to carry 26 lbs up flights, i used to live in the 5th floor but now im on the 2nd - i dont own a car so use this as my fulltime mode of transportation. Which do you guys would be the most cost effective and easiest? ie getting the most lightweight bike for the cheapest price. i cant afford full carbon fiber unless its heavily discounted or used.

Opton 1... i was told i could replace some of the components on the bicycle, they are all stock, its an 18 speed, aluminum frame with some bontragger and shimano components, but the good news is i only use the first 6 speeds, so i could totally just wack the other 12 because i never go up that high, i tend to be a city rider.

Option 2... simply swap out this bike for a road bike in an even trade or perhaps this bike plus another $300. I'm not concerned about having a new bike (because ill ding it up with daily use).

Option 3... build a new one that suits my riding style from the ground up, starting with the frame, could also be a used frame and used components. one other note, i live in the country of Cambodia so not all components are available as would be in more developed countries like the USA.
Old 02-18-21, 07:05 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
How light do you think you can go? 20 pounds vs 26 pounds up one flight of stairs is probably not going to make much difference. What might make sense is to get a folding bike that is easier to carry even if just as heavy.
Old 02-18-21, 07:29 PM
TravelBiker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
How light do you think you can go? 20 pounds vs 26 pounds up one flight of stairs is probably not going to make much difference. What might make sense is to get a folding bike that is easier to carry even if just as heavy.
Hey thanks for asking. I think going from 26 to 20 would make a difference but 18 lbs or 16 lbs would be much better. Folding would also be good for carrying up the stairs yes, because the trek FX, i need to turn it certain ways to go up each flight, but to be honest folding, i dont really like the design of those, because they look too clunky and odd.

Heres another idea i just came up with after doing some thinking, although this might be a bit pricey. Replace the FX with a lighter weight bike thats in the range of 18 to 20, the replace some of the components on the new one with superlight weight components. I know that will probably be a bit expensive but at least i can do it in stages.
Old 02-18-21, 07:33 PM
TravelBiker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A few other ideas to get the weight down, but most of these are basically going to somewhat involve defacing a perfectly good stock bike...
Replace handlebars with carbon
Replace fork with caron
Replace seat post with carbon
remove all reflectors
Cut the rear brakes off the bike
Cut the cords for the rear brake and 3 shifter off the bike
Cut off 1 set of derailers
Go with a 1x so 6 speed instead of 18, cut the disc
Replace pedals with plastic pegs
Replace tires with lightweight
cut off some spokes
Likes For TravelBiker:
Old 02-19-21, 01:55 AM
TravelBiker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Regarding option 2, i think this would probably be the simplest way to get there, i just have to find suitable replacement. I have got several candidates, Bianchi that weighs 20 lbs and costs $$900, this is a bit over budget but still considerable. I also road a twitter that was $750 and 20 lbs, and finally i found someone who was selling a used Giant TCR for a low price and the weight is 17 lbs, thats a steal, but i have not yet been by to test ride it. The question is whether i like riding a road bike. Earlier this morning I test road a Norco Threshold, it was the perfect size but the weight was 25 lbs, obviously it wouldnt make any sense replacing a 26 lbs bike with a 25 lbs bike, although the norcos ive seen are very attractive just a bit on the heavy side.
Old 02-19-21, 08:51 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
You won't get from 26 to 18 or even 16 lbs in a cost-effective way. It might be doable, but at that point all the lightweight replacement parts would cost as much or more than a new, lighter bike. That is unless you go the chinese no-name component route, but you get what you pay for.

The more realistic weight saving options without compromising safety and durabilty would be going 1x, replacing the crankset and BB in the process and lighter tires (probably tubeless), which might save you around 2-3 lbs. Lightweight wheels would be a good upgrade, but a costly one.

So IMO you should look towards saving up for a lighter bike. Or do some more training so it gets easier for you to carry the bike.
Old 02-19-21, 09:01 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by TravelBiker
A few other ideas to get the weight down, but most of these are basically going to somewhat involve defacing a perfectly good stock bike...

Cut the rear brakes off the bike

cut off some spokes
Those sound like terrible ideas.
Old 02-19-21, 09:17 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked 5,410 Times in 2,748 Posts
Make it a single speed. Remove front derailleur and shifter and one chainring. Pick an appropriate cog to keep (consider chain tension) and replace the others with spacers. Remove rear derailleur. One brake will be enough for your use. Remove rear brake, lever, etc. This could possibly drop 5# and not cost you anything. Work on upper body strength, carrying 26# shouldn't be a concern unless you are somehow impaired.
Old 02-19-21, 02:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,985 Times in 2,661 Posts
I wouldn't bother putting money towards a cheaper hybrid to make it slightly less weight. The ideas you have aren't that great as it will be an expensive proposition (or extremely dangerous) for some minimal weight savings and probably spending more money than the bike cost initially.

I think shelbyfv made the best idea out of these in working on your strength. Try carrying 30+ pounds bikes up and down stairs multiple times a day and lifting e-bikes frequently. Carrying a 26 pound bike up the stairs once a day isn't so bad.
Old 02-19-21, 03:07 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
How about something like a Ritchey Breakaway where you can take it apart to make it more manageable?

https://us.ritcheylogic.com/us_en/bi...oad-wcs-carbon

Can easily get it to be sub 20 lbs too
Likes For Elvo:
Old 02-19-21, 11:56 PM
TravelBiker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
carrying 26# shouldn't be a concern unless you are somehow impaired.
Unfortunately it is now, because i suffer from piriformis syndrome which i think is an overstress type injury on both my ankle and backside, as well as my elbow. I think this was the result of my carrying overstuffed luggage up and down the stairs but they said the bike didnt help the matter either since i repeat the task every single day at least once. i think part of the problem is the angle at which i am carrying the bike while walking up the stairs because the weight tends to end up on my wrist for example, or my ankle or hip while ive also got a backpack other stuff etc.
Old 02-20-21, 12:05 AM
TravelBiker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TravelBiker
Regarding option 2, i think this would probably be the simplest way to get there, i just have to find suitable replacement. I have got several candidates, Bianchi that weighs 20 lbs and costs $$900, this is a bit over budget but still considerable. I also road a twitter that was $750 and 20 lbs, and finally i found someone who was selling a used Giant TCR for a low price and the weight is 17 lbs, thats a steal, but i have not yet been by to test ride it. The question is whether i like riding a road bike. Earlier this morning I test road a Norco Threshold, it was the perfect size but the weight was 25 lbs, obviously it wouldnt make any sense replacing a 26 lbs bike with a 25 lbs bike, although the norcos ive seen are very attractive just a bit on the heavy side.
Oops so today i went to test ride the Giant tcr carbon bike, i think its probably at least 4 years old, it turns out that it was a size small which is way too short for me, so still looking. i saw another bike that looks really interesting its called the Optima Mostro Carbon Fiber, this is a really interested looking piece of machinery. i think its made in Thailand so its not top tier manufacturer. price is around $800 to $1200 which is more than my original budget but still worth considering given its new and fits my weight requirement.
Old 02-20-21, 12:25 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
Yep. There are a few Asian brands that sell only where you are, along with other countries nearby.
Might be something carbon secondhand also, to save a bit.

If you do find a carbon ride that does the job, that would be the way to go, to have a good headstart/base on weight.

If you don't ride anything super steep, I think the idea of modding to 1x is good. Cassette size large enough to cover things. Suitable chainring size.
Likes For tangerineowl:
Old 02-20-21, 06:47 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked 5,410 Times in 2,748 Posts
Try a hard foam roller for the piriformis
Old 02-21-21, 01:24 AM
TravelBiker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Try a hard foam roller for the piriformis
Thanks a lot maybe i will.

So heres an update i checked a few used bikes, maybe you guys could comment on some of these brands if you know them. Theres one called a Java Saliro 3, this is a slick looking machine the weight is 21 lbs, obviously thats not within the weight range i specified earlier but it is a totally nice ride. Second one, Twitter, i am not sure of the model that i rode, but the weight was 20 lbs so it seemed like a smooth ride, i know its a Chinese brand. Another the Optima Mostro Disc 5800 - this one is a Thai bike, for sale for $800 used and $1200 new, anyone know this? its a slick looking machine for sure, and weighs 18 lbs, so it fits within my weight requirement. Final is the Giant OCR, i have seen several of these for sale and i really dont like the riding position, with my hands being too close to together and the seat too high.

Just a slight addendum if some of you missed my previous comment, i currently own a Trek FX 2 disc and the ride is just fantastic for bumpy streets in Cambodia, and the riding position is great, it would just be more convienent for me as a traveler to own a bike that weighs less.

Last edited by TravelBiker; 02-21-21 at 01:33 AM.