Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Replacement Drive Train Parts

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-21, 02:43 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts

I am soon going to need a set of drive train parts for my bike.
Original equipment is either difficult to find impossible.

42 & 52 T chainrings - I am running a Campagnolo Record or Nuovo Record crank and need some new rings. I think it is called 144 BCD but am not sure.

Regina Oro Chain

Freewheel - English threading, 5 speed: 14, 16, 18, 21, 24T. Heck, even just the cogs would be okay, if they fit a 1st generation Dura Ace or Regina body.

Any optional brands would suffice as long as they are good quality, i.e., Sugino Mighty Comp in lieu of Campagnolo Rings.

I know this reads like a WTB post but I am really after discussion of what my options are. What will fit? What won't? For example, what are my options for a replacement chain; who makes freewheels and cogs; who makes rings in my size that fit?

Another issue - I don't do ebay (too intrusive, no thanks). So, am I stuck buying only from shops?

Last edited by Bad Lag; 06-19-21 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-19-21, 03:56 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Boulder Bicycle is my go-to online shop for vintage chain. For a time they were offering bulk chain separately packaged (not factory packaging) for around $15 a chain - Sedisport narrow, for use on 5 or 6 speed FWs. They offer a similar chain currently for around $26.

Check out some of their stuff here: Chains

One thing for sure, buy NOS. No point in buying even a slightly-used chain or FW if they won't play well together.

Be vigilant and keep an eye on Ebay for the FWs; when it comes to Reginas they seem to be fetching all sorts of prices. Personally I'd not spend more than 70 bux shipped. Chainrings? Always been difficult to find in good shape and again prices vary but if you're looking for NOS or barely-used you'll have to bite the bullet and pay a bit. Consumables

DD
Old 06-19-21, 04:06 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Boulder Bicycle is my go-to online shop for vintage chain. For a time they were offering bulk chain separately packaged (not factory packaging) for around $15 a chain - Sedisport narrow, for use on 5 or 6 speed FWs. They offer a similar chain currently for around $26.

Check out some of their stuff here: Chains

One thing for sure, buy NOS. No point in buying even a slightly-used chain or FW if they won't play well together.

Be vigilant and keep an eye on Ebay for the FWs; when it comes to Reginas they seem to be fetching all sorts of prices. Personally I'd not spend more than 70 bux shipped. Chainrings? Always been difficult to find in good shape and again prices vary but if you're looking for NOS or barely-used you'll have to bite the bullet and pay a bit. Consumables

DD
The prices on "nice" 144 bcd chain rings are ridiculous.

Been looking for some myself.
Old 06-19-21, 04:25 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
^^^^ Goes doubly so for a 42, which is about the smallest 144BCD chainring that can be made.
Old 06-20-21, 06:03 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,186 Times in 961 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
^^^^ Goes doubly so for a 42, which is about the smallest 144BCD chainring that can be made.
If we could convince IRD and Soma to make and stock this in 42T, 50T, 52T, we'd be golden.

https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/pro...8?category=740

At $63 the price is competitive with other well-made new chain rings.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com