Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

26" tires?

Old 08-09-21, 11:33 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 252 Posts
26" tires?

What are some light fast 2" to 2.2" X26 " light gravel-sand tires currently available? I just bought a really light Marin all aluminum 3X9 with 26" wheels. I put some 2.1's on it and it is super light and fun ride. I might grind some local dirt roads and I want to keep it as light as possible. I might go Compass but not sure if 2.3's will fit without rubbing on a hard flex.
Old 08-09-21, 11:45 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
I might go Compass but not sure if 2.3's will fit without rubbing on a hard flex.
Check the notes for actual width on the Rene Herse web page for each tire.

Rat Trap Pass is labeled 2.3" because Panaracer uses the same silicon bladder as their 2.3" MTB knobbies in the tire mold, and they didn't want to get it mixed up in manufacturing. They're actually around 2.1", unless you mount them on fatbike rims.
Old 08-09-21, 11:49 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
There's a good thread going in C&V: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...el-thread.html

The Rat Trap Pass is not a full 2.3". Their own website admits that it maxes out around 2.15" if you do the math.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-09-21, 12:40 PM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
There's a good thread going in C&V: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...el-thread.html

The Rat Trap Pass is not a full 2.3". Their own website admits that it maxes out around 2.15" if you do the math.
Appreciate that. Is that basically the best option? I found some 26X2.2"s listed at 564 grams just over $50 each? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 08-09-21, 02:01 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
Continental Speedking Racesport are very good. Pretty light. Supple. Fast rolling.
Old 08-09-21, 04:16 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Sold as a BMX tire, but Maxis DTH comes in 26x2.10 and 26x2.30. There are others such as the Schwalbe Billy Bonkers

The two I know of that are sold as a gravel tire are the Rene Herse Humptulips Ridge (previously mentioned) and Panaracer Gravelking. You can also look at XC or touring tires.
Old 08-09-21, 05:14 PM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by katsup
Sold as a BMX tire, but Maxis DTH comes in 26x2.10 and 26x2.30. There are others such as the Schwalbe Billy Bonkers

The two I know of that are sold as a gravel tire are the Rene Herse Humptulips Ridge (previously mentioned) and Panaracer Gravelking. You can also look at XC or touring tires.
Yes, thanks, I've been looking and checking published weights. I was just checking if there were any i was missing since You have to check so many different sources nowadays to locate what's available.
Old 08-09-21, 06:55 PM
OmegaWolf
on your lawn

Bikes: 1995 Trek 370, 1997 Trek 800 Sport, 2013 Specialized Crossroads Elite, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR5, 1991 Fuji Roubaix

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
WTB All Terrain are light and fast, but I haven't been able to find them in 26" lately.
Old 08-10-21, 10:12 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
Panaracer Gravelking SK in 25x2.1. Enough float and low rolling resistance while still being being grippy in gravel.
Likes For commo_soulja:
Old 08-17-21, 02:52 AM
scubaman

Liked 69 Times in 37 Posts
René Herse Rat Trap Pass are wonderful tires. I’ve ridden them on day and bikepacking rides on mixed surfaces for >5 years, and I’ve built up bikes for friends with them who have done the same. They truly transform a 26” MTB frame. I find them suitable for pretty much anything but single track. The new René Herse Humptulips will be better if your riding includes a mix of road and loose dirt.
Old 08-17-21, 03:22 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by commo_soulja
look nice!
Old 08-18-21, 07:47 AM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by scubaman
René Herse Rat Trap Pass are wonderful tires. I’ve ridden them on day and bikepacking rides on mixed surfaces for >5 years, and I’ve built up bikes for friends with them who have done the same. They truly transform a 26” MTB frame. I find them suitable for pretty much anything but single track. The new René Herse Humptulips will be better if your riding includes a mix of road and loose dirt.
Appreciate the input. I ordered a set of the RTP's last week and am anxiously awaiting delivery. Did you go tubes or tubeless set up? I would have to do a gorilla tape hack to go tubeless.

I am putting the RTP's on an all aluminum Marin Novato I just bought for $100 off craigslist. It is a surprisingly light, nimble ride set up 9 speed Deore. The V brakes are better than my mechanical discs and the bike has been very fun to ride. I actually bought 2 of them for $100 each so I have 2 sets of wheels that can be changed in about 1 minuet. The bikes came with good 26" X 38mm tires which I have never seen before and I threw a set of 2.1" knobby tires on to try. They transformed the bike into a very fun grinder, but they weigh nearly 800grams and are mounted with Walmart green slime filled tubes no less. LOL. Can't hardly wait to try out the RTP's.
Old 08-18-21, 08:59 AM
scubaman

Liked 69 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
Appreciate the input. I ordered a set of the RTP's last week and am anxiously awaiting delivery. Did you go tubes or tubeless set up? I would have to do a gorilla tape hack to go tubeless.

I've set them up both/all ways: tubeless with Stan's tubeless rims; tubeless with a Velocity Dyad rim (which I think Velocity says are not tubeless-ready, but which has worked for me with Stan's tubeless tape & sealant; note that I've only done this with a *rear* wheel, including because the downside risk of front wheel failure seems much higher); and with tubes, including standard butyl and Tubolito. I run them around 30 PSI / 2 bar.

I'm pretty sure all my RTPs have had the Extra Light casing, and neither I nor my friends who I set up with these tires have had any issues, even with bikepacking bags on fairly rough terrain. (Notwithstanding how versatile the RTPs are and how much I like them, I'd advise against using them - or other slicks - on singletrack.) But I plan to try the Endurance casing when it's time to replace my current tires.
Old 08-18-21, 10:14 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
I'll be interested to hear how you like the RTPs... as much as I enjoy the smaller Naches Pass, I didn't want to guarantee anything since you had mentioned "sand" in the OP. I don't deliberately ride in sand.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-18-21, 11:42 AM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I'll be interested to hear how you like the RTPs... as much as I enjoy the smaller Naches Pass, I didn't want to guarantee anything since you had mentioned "sand" in the OP. I don't deliberately ride in sand.
Me either. Didn't mean to throw anyone off. That was more of an old guy way to describe possible road conditions. I didn't mean that I was looking for sand specific tires. I don't ride anything very aggressively, just fast enough for fun without too much risk.
Likes For RH Clark: