Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

B

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-21, 11:19 AM
PTR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Batavus Sprint

Hi, i have been a member since 2016 but i have made only a one post.
today it was about to change because i wanted to make post about my first "find". Wrote gazillion letters long post added few pics and tried to post it but since im "newbie" all that went down the drain.
I guess i have to take it slowly then.

I found a Dutch bike Batavus Sprint mixte and would like to know more about the bike and ecpesially the era of production. I can post pics after i have made my first 10 post so i can only describe it now 🙂
Likes For PTR:
Old 08-14-21, 11:28 AM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 449 Posts
Fishing Mixtes From Spiraling Down The Drain...

Originally Posted by PTR
Hi, i have been a member since 2016 but i have made only a one post.
today it was about to change because i wanted to make post about my first "find". Wrote gazillion letters long post added few pics and tried to post it but since im "newbie" all that went down the drain.... I can post pics after i have made my first 10 post so i can only describe it now 🙂

OP's Album
Likes For machinist42:
Old 08-14-21, 11:29 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 2,176 Posts
-----

your member page here at the forum has a place where you can create a photo album

there is not minimum post requirement to do this

when you have the images loaded members can visit the album and place them into the discussion thread

member @non-fixie is sure to have lots of helpful information on your find

-----

Last edited by juvela; 08-14-21 at 01:06 PM. Reason: spellin'
Old 08-14-21, 01:03 PM
PTR

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

your member page here at the forum has a place where you can create a photo album

there is not minimum post requirement to do this

when you have the images loaded members can visit the album and place them into the discussion thread

member @non-fixie is sure to hae lots of helpful information on your find

-----
is it possible that my initial post was also saved somewhere and it can be restored? It would save a lot of time rewriting my overly exited intro.
Old 08-14-21, 01:07 PM
juvela

Originally Posted by PTR
is it possible that my initial post was also saved somewhere and it can be restored? It would save a lot of time rewriting my overly exited intro.
-----

..the moderators might be able to answer this...

cb400bill

-----
Old 08-14-21, 01:18 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 449 Posts
Otto Saves

Originally Posted by PTR
Possibly.

Have you tried initiating a new post as you did when you wrote it? The system may have saved it for you as a "Draft?"

Otherwise, juvela's suggestion to contact the Mods (or The Rockers?) is prudent.
Old 08-14-21, 01:55 PM
juvela

-----

cycle's birth time appears near to 1976-1977

​​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​

-----
Old 08-14-21, 02:56 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

..the moderators might be able to answer this...

cb400bill

-----
Nope. It’s goners.

Old 08-14-21, 03:03 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Assuming the front derailleur is OEM, it is no older than a 1977 model. That is the year that Shimano introduced their CPSC cage. It was used through 1981 on this particular front derailleur. The rear derailleur is an obvious replacement from the 1990s but the levers match the front deralleur. Both are consistent with the crankset and while the levers appear to be placed a bit low on the down tube, so is the brand decal. The frame itself appears to be hi-tensile steel, with stamped dropouts and a small diameter seat post. Pedals are another obvious update. The stem appears to be at an unsafe height.
Old 08-14-21, 03:17 PM
PTR

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
What do you think what type of rear derailleur was there leaving the factory line. Assuming all the components were Shimanos
Old 08-14-21, 03:31 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
The Sprint was Batavus' sports model at the time, covering the middle ground between their city bikes and the racing line-up. In Holland they could be had with drop bars as well as upright bars. Not particularly light, but well made, and with a few upgrades - such as aluminum rims and losing the protective hardware and rack - it is fine machine for light touring.

It might well be the same frame that was sold as the Tour de 'Europe in the US.

This is an ad from May 1977. I suspect yours is a bit later:

There are a few Batavus's on Bikeforums, like in this thread.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 08-15-21, 01:23 PM
PTR

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I uploaded some more pics in gallery. What do you think are the brakes original?
The rims are Weinmann alloy rims. Should clean up really nice.
Old 08-15-21, 01:41 PM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts
The brakes are original.
Likes For fabiofarelli:
Old 08-15-21, 01:48 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by PTR
I uploaded some more pics in gallery. What do you think are the brakes original?
The rims are Weinmann alloy rims. Should clean up really nice.
I believe the brakes could well be original. Those did show up on the Sprint in the catalogs. Weinmann rims are fine. I'd keep them. Those brake levers do not belong on those bars, they are city levers. Either the bars or the levers are not original.

If the frame were mine and I liked it, I'd build it up with period-correct parts I like and not worry too much about originality. These bikes were originally built to a budget, and with nicer parts it will be a nicer bike.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 08-15-21, 02:11 PM
PTR

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
The plan was to build it for my wife and daughther for light touring on local bicycle roads. The thing is my daugther is very experienced with bikes because she trains 4 times a week on mtb and roadbike since she was 5 yo but my wife is new to sportbikes/dropbars so i am thinking something more beginner user friendly.

An you sir are right those bars are not original because they are smaller size than the stem so PO has inserted a piece of aluminium to fil the cap .
Old 08-15-21, 02:56 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by PTR
The plan was to build it for my wife and daughther for light touring on local bicycle roads. The thing is my daugther is very experienced with bikes because she trains 4 times a week on mtb and roadbike since she was 5 yo but my wife is new to sportbikes/dropbars so i am thinking something more beginner user friendly.

An you sir are right those bars are not original because they are smaller size than the stem so PO has inserted a piece of aluminium to fil the cap .
Mrs non-fixie was not a fan of drop bars at first, and to get her used to the more sporty riding position and offer a few different hand positions as well, I used these on her bikes for a while:

The last iteration before moving to drop bars was this one:

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 08-15-21, 03:28 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Your frame appears to be tall for a mixte, possibly even a 23" seat tube. Hard to find those. I suspect the Sprint model is its own thing, since I bought my Tour de l'Europe in Amsterdam in '74 so I know it wasn't just a U.S. model. Yours is actually nicer than mine was with its steel rims and cottered crank, Simplex shifters and derailleurs. Interestingly, I thought all Batavus/Intercycle bikes of that era had the Durolon coating to protect the paint but I don't see that sticker on your seat tube. Enjoy the build and the bike.
Old 08-16-21, 02:57 AM
PTR

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Your frame appears to be tall for a mixte, possibly even a 23" seat tube. Hard to find those. I suspect the Sprint model is its own thing, since I bought my Tour de l'Europe in Amsterdam in '74 so I know it wasn't just a U.S. model. Yours is actually nicer than mine was with its steel rims and cottered crank, Simplex shifters and derailleurs. Interestingly, I thought all Batavus/Intercycle bikes of that era had the Durolon coating to protect the paint but I don't see that sticker on your seat tube. Enjoy the build and the bike.
i cant find any size labels from frame but i measured horizontaly from the center of the stem/fork to the center of the seat post and it was 53cm so i think its rather medium/small size. My daughters Orbea mtb measures the same.
Old 08-16-21, 06:36 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by PTR
i cant find any size labels from frame but i measured horizontaly from the center of the stem/fork to the center of the seat post and it was 53cm so i think its rather medium/small size. My daughters Orbea mtb measures the same.
For "frame size" you want to measure the seat tube length, that's from the centerline of the crank to the top of the seat tube where the seat post emerges. What you were measuring is the effective top tube length, "effective" because mixtes don't have actual top tubes so you're measuring the span that one would have to cover.
Old 08-16-21, 12:01 PM
PTR

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Freewheel overhaul.

So the first job ( after cleaning) was rear wheel. The axle was broken so i had to replace that. Luckily one guy had it and i could swap it right away. While doing that i noticed that the freewheel was making bad noises and didn move freely. So decided to open it and give it a good clean. Did all that, put a new grease but i think i used wrong grease or too much of it. It was Motorex bike grease. The freewheel fheels now "thick" and doesn spinn freely and it doesnt make that nice ticking sound. What kind of lubricant is right for freewheel?
Ill do it again tomorrow.
The freewheel is shimano ug.
Old 08-16-21, 03:27 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

I don't know what is "right", but I generally don't take freewheels apart. I just flush them with WD40 and spin them until no more dirt escapes with the WD40 and it spins freely (and noisily). Then I flush and spin again, this time with a thin general purpose oil, also called sewing machine oil in my part of the world, until the oil has replaced the WD40 and it sounds "right". Worked for me so far. YMMV.

Old 08-20-21, 12:22 PM
PTR

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Trying to figure out what gear shifters i can use instead the ones i have on downtube.
Old 08-20-21, 12:23 PM
PTR

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Well this should be my 10th post.
Old 08-20-21, 12:24 PM
PTR

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

This is the setup im going with
Likes For PTR:
Old 08-24-21, 01:53 PM
Ishamael

Bikes: 1987 Nishiki International, 198(?) Kuwahara Apollo Sierra

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PTR
If you'd pressed 'back' in your browser when you got the newbie error, you probably would have gotten the post back. I had to do that for one of my posts. If you started a new thread, I'm afraid it might be lost to the ether.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.