Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

RAAM Starts Today (June 10) at Noon!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-14, 12:05 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
RAAM Starts Today (June 10) at Noon!

Just in case you missed all the hype, the TV sports features, the unending stream of commercials... (yeah, kidding)

Looks like not much competition for Christoph Strasser, unless some dark horse pedals out of the woodwork. Marko Baloh is riding RAW this year. It's always interesting to check the ongoing results, for the solos anyway.

I really couldn't care less about the teams. Too easy! Well, maybe the 2-person teams are worth watching. The whole solo event reminds me of the old Six Day Bike Races, where guys would pedal non-stop around a velodrome for six days, before the humane society got wind of it and shut it down, so they had to do it with 2-man teams. I'd love to do a 2-man RAAM, but I'd insist on doing handsling exchanges, just like on the track!

Luis
Old 06-10-14, 12:52 PM
rollie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a friend riding in the solo event, Derek Kozlowski, of Koz for Kids. It will be his first attempt in this event, and I hope he does well. I would consider anyone capable of completing this race a winner, whether they were first or last. I wouldn't survive one day of it! GO TEAM KOZ!
Old 06-10-14, 03:00 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rollie
I have a friend riding in the solo event, Derek Kozlowski, of Koz for Kids. It will be his first attempt in this event, and I hope he does well. I would consider anyone capable of completing this race a winner, whether they were first or last. I wouldn't survive one day of it! GO TEAM KOZ!
Thanks for this, @rollie. Always nice to have someone to cheer for that's connected in some way. I'll cheer him on too!

Luis
Old 06-11-14, 11:20 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Dan and Pam, local randos, are riding with Team Tejas in RAW.
I saw one team that sounded familiar, "Beau and Babe", and thought, "gosh, where have I heard that name before?" Pulled up their picture, and they're posing with their Texas Time Trial trophies. Don't know them, though.
Dennis Johnson is soloing RAAM. He's from the Houston area, I've met him a couple of times, but he's more friend-of-a-friend. I think he set a new RAW record for his age group a year or so ago.