Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are new bikes a huge waste of money?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are new bikes a huge waste of money?

Old 08-30-19, 01:35 PM
envigado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
That's a beauty!!!

I've got a little over $200 into my Basso. Still needs better brakes and bar tape, though.

That’s a rare find....beautiful
Likes For envigado:
Old 08-30-19, 03:40 PM
St8kout

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As a general rule, I buy everything new.

When I look on Craigslist, EVERYTHING is priced close to what I can buy online new. Either these sellers don't know how to shop and overpaid, or they're trying to rip people off, making them pay new retail prices for used old stuff.
When something cost say, $1000 new, is it really worth buying used for $990? No, of course not. Well that's what I see on any given day on Craigslist. Buy it new, get the warranty, and if there is some defect, send it back for another one or a refund.

While there are different reasons as to why someone is selling something, a lot of the time it's because there is something wrong with it.
Likes For St8kout:
Old 08-30-19, 03:57 PM
robnol
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol
It’s called esnipe where a bidder swoops in at the last nano second with a bid.... it’s not a guarantee but it works occasionally.... and bicycle blue book listed Msrp at 4500
that is so funny.....last years stock is 50% off.seems like ur making my point for me...granted its new but last years bike is half what the other guy paid for the same bike...thats messed up
Old 08-30-19, 04:27 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol
that is so funny.....last years stock is 50% off.seems like ur making my point for me...granted its new but last years bike is half what the other guy paid for the same bike...thats messed up
Well usually it is because not enough people DID buy it at full price.

But that is really just 20/20 hind site. The reality is that you really don’t know what’s going to be deeply discounted next year.

And sometimes waiting for a year means the price going up the following year if the model was super popular.

Last edited by Kapusta; 08-30-19 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-30-19, 05:29 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Nine year old carbon triathlon bike. What could go wrong? Smart shopper!!
Old 08-30-19, 05:39 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
Buy what pleases you! There is an intangible called quality which is difficult to price. You know it when you get it. I was riding my over 30 year old Gios, which I bought new and built up myself, the other day and another rider commented how beautiful it was. When the rider found out how old the Gios was the rider was amazed! I really take care of all of my 'stuff' because when you work hard in order pay out the BIG bucks for 'stuff' you tend to want to take care of it anyway, no matter its value to others, lol!

What's the saying?... 'the quality remains long after the price is forgotten' (by I forgot whom).
Old 08-30-19, 06:22 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Thinking about this some more, you may have done OK. I assume you are a triathlete, as the bike has no purpose beyond tri and TT. Not so many TT opportunities, so likely tri. Anyway, over 9 years the bike has undoubtedly been dropped/banged in the transition area numerous times. If it's still apparently in one piece it will probably survive your efforts for awhile. You'll be mostly pedaling along in a straight line, no standing to climb, no tricky downhills or cornering. Even if cracked it may serve your purpose. Fingers crossed!
Old 08-30-19, 07:03 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Thinking about this some more, you may have done OK. I assume you are a triathlete, as the bike has no purpose beyond tri and TT. Not so many TT opportunities, so likely tri. Anyway, over 9 years the bike has undoubtedly been dropped/banged in the transition area numerous times. If it's still apparently in one piece it will probably survive your efforts for awhile. You'll be mostly pedaling along in a straight line, no standing to climb, no tricky downhills or cornering. Even if cracked it may serve your purpose. Fingers crossed!
If it cracks just right, pole vaulting could be added as a 4th event. Quadrathalon.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-30-19, 08:48 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 610 Posts
Well, I think the topic's been pretty well covered.
Closed

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01: