Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How do you thread brake cable through top tube?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-05-21, 12:19 PM
KenNC

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts

Just picked up a 80s Gitane as my next project, and it has the rear brake cable threaded through the top tube. I have left it in for now, but plan to replace the brake hoods, so will need to remove the cable, or at least clip the cable head off, to get the new hoods on. And so will need to replace the cable.

What is the best way to do this? When I see frame with this type of cable routing for sale, they usually have the cable left in place. I can picture attaching a new cable to the old (perhaps with some heat shrink tubing, or with epoxy) and pulling it through. But I can also picture that separating half way through and causing a headache.

Some of you must have dealt with this before so thought I'd ask. Thank you!
Old 08-05-21, 12:29 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
I assume you mean putting new cable including housing in, correct? (if just the inner you should be able to easily push a new inner through the housing).

On my only bike with this set up I tied a string to the cut end of the old housing and pulled it through, tied a washer to each end to prevent loss. Tied the string to the new housing when ready and pulled it through. Its not a huge drag, and this worked fine but I did eventually figure out you can pretty easily fish a stiff wire through (if you are patient)
Old 08-05-21, 12:32 PM
imakecircles

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Nuovo Racing, 2012 Cervelo RS Rival, 20xx Redline Conquest (Commuter/Rain Bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 30 Posts
Pull off brake lever and cable, leaving the existing housing in place. Replace new cable into existing housing. Remove old housing keeping cable routed in place through top tube. Thread new cut to length housing onto cable through top tube. In other words, don't fully remove that which may have been fished through unless you have to.
Likes For imakecircles:
Old 08-05-21, 01:08 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 255 Posts
If there’s nothing in place, try feeding a thread through one end with a vacuum attached to the other opening. Once the thread emerges, tape a cable to it and pull that through. Then run housing over the cable.

On my wife’s former Erickson, I was super careful to always leave something in place, and ultimately it was a cable entry that contributed to that frame’s demise.
Likes For Dfrost:
Old 08-05-21, 01:33 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 834 Times in 363 Posts
I've owned 5 (still have 4) Italian frames with cable routing through he top tube. All had an internal tube (conduit) that the cable ran through. One was designed so the outer housing was also routed through the top tube .With all the others just the inner cable ran through. All I needed to do was feed the cables through one end and out the other. This doesn't mean yours is the same. I never trusted French bikes.
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 08-05-21, 02:04 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,309 Times in 773 Posts
I always thought holes in the tops of tubes that you didn't want water to get into were a bad idea.
Old 08-05-21, 02:10 PM
KenNC

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by gearbasher
I've owned 5 (still have 4) Italian frames with cable routing through he top tube. All had an internal tube (conduit) that the cable ran through. One was designed so the outer housing was also routed through the top tube .With all the others just the inner cable ran through. All I needed to do was feed the cables through one end and out the other. This doesn't mean yours is the same. I never trusted French bikes.
Okay, it looks like this is designed with an internal conduit. The outer housing ends at the entrance to the tube. For a test, I tried running another brake cable in alongside the existing brake cable, but it didn't fit. A derailleur cable DID fit, and on three tries, it always popped out the other end. So it looks like there is an internal tube running all the way through. Phew..... Thanks!

Likes For KenNC:
Old 08-05-21, 02:12 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 394 Posts
I know I say this for everything -- but doesn't Park Tool make a tool for this?

Oh, wait, photo in post #1 says "made in France". So I presume a different size and the tool does not fit.

Likes For tiger1964:
Old 08-05-21, 02:34 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 834 Times in 363 Posts
One suggestion. Put a little grease on the cable where it goes through the tope tube. I've run them dry and they rattle a little. The sound is annoying.
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 08-05-21, 02:44 PM
Highmass

Bikes: 1991 Centurion Oxygen, 1997 Centurion Invincible, 1995+- Fondriest Wind, 1982 Grand Master Nissan Pro 2000, 1992 Olmo Racing (The racing part of the name HAS to be a joke).

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
I always thought holes in the tops of tubes that you didn't want water to get into were a bad idea.
And speaking of things where you don´t want water. That seatpost. I´ve not experienced it myself, but others have reported problems, when using fluted seatposts, where the fluting extends into the seattube. It´s an ideal water trap, and it can supposedly lead to stuck seatposts.
Likes For Highmass:
Old 08-05-21, 02:47 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,663 Times in 2,497 Posts
I'm glad I read about strings and vacuums on here. I recently had to thread some wires through my lathe. Couldn't get it to work by just feeding it through, there is a sharp bend.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-05-21, 03:55 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
You're not entirely wrong. But it often doesn't get much worse than some flyrust on the inside.

​​​​​​​
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 08-05-21, 05:56 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,309 Times in 773 Posts
Originally Posted by Highmass
And speaking of things where you don´t want water. That seatpost. I´ve not experienced it myself, but others have reported problems, when using fluted seatposts, where the fluting extends into the seattube. It´s an ideal water trap, and it can supposedly lead to stuck seatposts.
Bung a cork in the top of any hollow ones.

And yes, seatpost flutes are a Completely Stupid Idea.
Old 08-05-21, 07:45 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts
Bung a cork in the top of any hollow ones.

And yes, seatpost flutes are a Completely Stupid Idea.
I won't argue that but they do dress a vintage bike up a bit. When I put the white lithium grease on my fluted seat posts I always make sure there is enough in the flutes to seal them at the top of the seat tube. Wipe the excess off flush to the seat tube using a Q-tip in the flutes and no moisture can get down the flutes.

A little clear nail polish applied around the cable housing at the openings for through the frame cables would help seal them against moisture. I also plug any unused threaded frame holes with stainless steel set screws and then seal them with clear nail polish to keep them from backing out and to keep moisture from seeping in around the threads. Probably overkill but it makes me feel better LOL.
Old 08-05-21, 09:16 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Ditto, the thread trick. There are several other tutorials on YouTube for fishing cable and/or housing through internal routing.

When I got a 2014 Diamondback Podium frame with internal cable routing -- minus the original cables -- I procrastinated for months before building up that bike, thinking the cable routing would be a nightmare. I finally watched some Diamondback industry promo videos for that bike. Turns out it was pre-fitted with internal cables. I'm not sure whether it's standard metal sheath or just cable liners. But as long as the original internal housing is in good shape, all I need to do is thread through the new cables. Easy.

If I ever do need to replace the inner cable housing/liners, I'll use the trick of attaching the new cable liner/housing to the old and use that to pull it through.

Ditto, the rattling thing too. Mine rattles a bit on chipseal, between the top tube and head tube. Not enough to worry about. But I can tell the inner cable liner/housing is tapping against the fat, hollow carbon fiber tubes. I might eventually get a fiber optic camera doodad and peek inside to see how it's set up and whether they used those rubber bumper ring doodads.
Old 08-06-21, 02:15 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
To thread new housing through the top tube:

I insert the cable into the housing and leave an inch of cable sticking out of the end and bend it at an angle. Insert it through the front hole, push the housing through the top tube and when the tip of the cable approaches the rear hole I twist the cable on the other end. That helps the bent tip find the hole and then I grab the tip when it pops out and pull the entire housing out of the rear hole.
Old 08-06-21, 03:56 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 398 Posts
Earlier this week I had to re-cable a Burley tandem. Both shift cables routed to DT penetrations near the HT then open air to the rear, thru the DT, the front BB shell, the cross tube to the rear BB shell then out the tube opening. UGH, about 4ft of tubing and two shells with no internal housing or conduit or nuttin. "Ah, I read about this on BF C&V"

I got out the long length of tubing that Jagwire sells, just like shift cable liner, translucent, stiff and just big enough to cover a brake cable. Cut the first cable about a foot from the rear tube opening then CAREFULLY fed the tubing over the cable, past the two BB shells , up the DT and, with some fiddling, trial and error out the penetrations at the front. Pulled the old cable out and fed the new cable in. Pulled the tubing and repeated for the second cable. Slow and deliberate but that worked fine. I needed a coffee break after that.

BTW, I've had NO luck attaching a new cable to the old and pulling it through. Tape does not work on old oily, dirty cables let alone the new cables. Whatever you use to connect the two cables, if it does hold, gets snagged somewhere inside the frame.
Old 08-06-21, 07:46 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
@Prowler - I have a Duet and left the cables exposed. Do you have pics?

My Pinarello presented a challenge. The housing cover would not fit in the entry on either end. I stripped the cover off and inserted the inner housing, which ran into a stop.
P1040364 on Flickr

final install:
P1020203 on Flickr

Last edited by SJX426; 08-06-21 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-06-21, 03:32 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
@Prowler - I have a Duet and left the cables exposed. Do you have pics
Sorry, no pix. It was a customer's bike and he's pick it up. His DT penetrations were large enough to accept std steel 4mm cable ends so I did not need an alternate solution.
Old 08-06-21, 03:58 PM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
When I ran a new shift cable through the chainstay on a Trek, turning the frame vertical in the work stand helped a lot.
Old 08-06-21, 06:50 PM
con50582

Bikes: Canyon, Giant, Norco, Bottechia, Gitane, Diamant, Scott

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts

Cut a length of this and run it over the cable while its in the frame. Hold the liner in place and pull the brake cable out. Run the new cable through the tube. Pull the black tube off the cable and save it for next time.
Old 08-07-21, 12:02 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
@Prowler - I have a Duet and left the cables exposed. Do you have pics?

My Pinarello presented a challenge. The housing cover would not fit in the entry on either end. I stripped the cover off and inserted the inner housing, which ran into a stop.
P1040364 on Flickr

final install:
P1020203 on Flickr
Had the same problem with my Montello.. I think Pinarello meant to just run the cable bare within the top tube as all the Montellos I have seen have reducing ferrules at the top tube cable openings. It does work that way ok, but it always bothered me that the cable is in there sawing at the top tube steel when the rear brake is operated. I just greased the section of cable really good where it is in the top tube and left it at that, but maybe next time, I change cables on the bike, I'll try to run cable liner in the top tube.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 08-07-21, 06:37 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
@Chombi1 - Do you have a pic? I haven't looked for nor have I seen a ferrule approach.
Old 08-08-21, 01:57 AM
Schlafen

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
You're not entirely wrong. But it often doesn't get much worse than some flyrust on the inside.

This right here is where my trust issues with steel frames come from lol 😅.

On a side note, internal guide tubes (ones I've seen anyway) are usually brass tubes, not steel, brazed to the top tube, so there's really no potential for rust damage, it is the worst place for constant water ingress as the tubing is at its thinnest.
Old 08-08-21, 02:37 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Schlafen
This right here is where my trust issues with steel frames come from lol 😅.

On a side note, internal guide tubes (ones I've seen anyway) are usually brass tubes, not steel, brazed to the top tube, so there's really no potential for rust damage, it is the worst place for constant water ingress as the tubing is at its thinnest.
Oh absolutely, though chances are this particular bike was left outside in the rain for longer periods of time. I had a hell of a time to remove the rusted sealed bottom bracket and well.. this is how I bought it:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.