Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

OK to request help identifying a mid-90s bike?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

OK to request help identifying a mid-90s bike?

Old 08-29-21, 03:27 PM
  #26  
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio
 
Choke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 694

Bikes: CiŲcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 105 Posts
What a beauty.

Since you seem to still be confused about what you have....

VIRGINIA - FRAMETELLER (in Italian)

I tried to put a Google translate link in but it doesn't seem to work. If you go to Google translate and put the webpage into it, and then click on that link, it will translate the page for you.
Choke is offline  
Likes For Choke:
Old 08-29-21, 06:26 PM
  #27  
soulmango 
Eurotrash bikes
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 39

Bikes: 1993 Bianchi EL OS; random build PureFix fixed gear; 1968 Schwinn Racer 3-speed; 2019 Vitus Energie CRX; mid-90s Boss Hogg 24" BMX; 1999 Free Agent Team Limo; mid-1990s Virginia (model unknown); early 2000s? Fondriest Top Lite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill View Post
What is there to figure out?
nothing beyond satisfying my curiosity & my want to be able to know itís history, itís era, maybe a model name, maybe even who Ettore A. was/is.

just always nice to actually know a bike while getting to know it.
soulmango is offline  
Old 08-29-21, 11:26 PM
  #28  
soulmango 
Eurotrash bikes
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 39

Bikes: 1993 Bianchi EL OS; random build PureFix fixed gear; 1968 Schwinn Racer 3-speed; 2019 Vitus Energie CRX; mid-90s Boss Hogg 24" BMX; 1999 Free Agent Team Limo; mid-1990s Virginia (model unknown); early 2000s? Fondriest Top Lite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Choke View Post
What a beauty.

Since you seem to still be confused about what you have....

VIRGINIA - FRAMETELLER (in Italian)

I tried to put a Google translate link in but it doesn't seem to work. If you go to Google translate and put the webpage into it, and then click on that link, it will translate the page for you.
Thank you, Choke. I appreciate the effort & info. The Italian language page made me work to remember my 4 years of high school Italian.

Itís not that Iím confused per se, itís more that Iíd love to know more about the company & more about this specific model (what it even is) & so on.

Itís obviously not a mandate in order for me to enjoy the bike, I just think itís unique enough to try to know more about it.

Thanks is again for the info!

Last edited by soulmango; 08-29-21 at 11:29 PM.
soulmango is offline  
Old 08-30-21, 02:44 PM
  #29  
soulmango 
Eurotrash bikes
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 39

Bikes: 1993 Bianchi EL OS; random build PureFix fixed gear; 1968 Schwinn Racer 3-speed; 2019 Vitus Energie CRX; mid-90s Boss Hogg 24" BMX; 1999 Free Agent Team Limo; mid-1990s Virginia (model unknown); early 2000s? Fondriest Top Lite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MauriceMoss View Post
It looks like a post Orazio Grenzi Virginia, so it should have come out of Luciano Paletti's shop.
Apologies, MauriceMoss. I had meant to give my thanks early on & got distracted with "only 5 posts, etc.). Anyway, thank you.

So, I looked into the Paletti thing as the engraved bottom bracket & the shared nameplate logo could be sort of a more modern/bastardized version of the Luciano Paletti nameplate, but then I was reading more about the Paletti & realized Luciano's son, Michele took over the business & maybe he incorporated an "MP" for a logo?

Luciano Paletti on left, the Virginia with the additional, unknown logo. Similar, but again, can it be a Michele Paletti logo?

It's hard to get a complete idea of the Virginia brand from the VIRGINIA - FRAMETELLER page as it really only has bikes into the early 80s represented. Looking at the Paletti page though, they have newer bikes & even reference BF member
jamesdak 's bike that has very similar types of welds & shapes of internal cable routes.

Lastly (for this entry at least), I was looking at how there are signatures on some of the toptubes, like on my Bianchi, & then noticed I hadn't even taken a photo of the one on the Virginia because I'd been concentrating on the drive-side shots. Unlike my Bianchi, this one is a sticker, but I assume it's there for the same effect.

This is the "signature" on the Virginia frame. I am not able to discern what the actual name is. Stylized P or T - o - l - A - t - t - u - r - i or c - o and maybe another letter or just a flourish.

Thoughts?

Last edited by soulmango; 08-30-21 at 02:59 PM.
soulmango is offline  
Old 08-30-21, 04:46 PM
  #30  
Cougrrcj 
Over forty victim of Fate
 
Cougrrcj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 3,890

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 368 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by soulmango View Post
yeah, I was Yamaha RZ350 kid. Never went back after my accident.
I had the '76 RD 400C, in green - from '79-82 when a left-turning cager took me out. RD400 was totalled. Not mine, but pic from the interwebs. Mine wore a square-tube rear rack with adjustable sissy bar (and it also had the correct mirrors). Of all of the motorcycles I've owned, I REALLY miss this one!!!

__________________
'75 Fuji S-10S bought new, 52k+ miles and still going!
'84 Univega Gran Tourismo
'84 Univega Viva Sport
'86 Miyata 710
'90 Schwinn Woodlands
Unknown brand MTB of questionable lineage aka 'Mutt Trail Bike'
Plus or minus a few others from time-to-time

Cougrrcj is offline  
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 08-31-21, 01:09 PM
  #31  
soulmango 
Eurotrash bikes
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 39

Bikes: 1993 Bianchi EL OS; random build PureFix fixed gear; 1968 Schwinn Racer 3-speed; 2019 Vitus Energie CRX; mid-90s Boss Hogg 24" BMX; 1999 Free Agent Team Limo; mid-1990s Virginia (model unknown); early 2000s? Fondriest Top Lite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj View Post
I had the '76 RD 400C, in green - from '79-82 when a left-turning cager took me out. RD400 was totalled. Not mine, but pic from the interwebs. Mine wore a square-tube rear rack with adjustable sissy bar (and it also had the correct mirrors). Of all of the motorcycles I've owned, I REALLY miss this one!!!

Sorry to hear that, Cougrrcj. Yeah, miss the sound & the free-revving, almost no compression braking coasting style of those 2-strokes.

I can bend my knee enough to pedal a bike, but I can't bend it enough to get onto those high footpegs any more.
soulmango is offline  
Old 09-03-21, 07:28 AM
  #32  
Mr. 66
Senior Member
 
Mr. 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2,215
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 447 Posts
I had an orange RD350, it was like riding a chainsaw catching the powerband.
Mr. 66 is offline  
Old 09-03-21, 07:51 AM
  #33  
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 12,531
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3134 Post(s)
Liked 1,809 Times in 1,058 Posts
The internal tube routing with both the entrance and the exit on top was really only used my most steel builders for a couple years in the late 80's/early 90's (say maybe 88-92?). Most builders quickly realized that both entrances on top made great access points for sweat/water and led to corrosion, so, after a year or two, they first switched to the front entrance being on the side of the tube, and then the back a year or two later. I have a Colnago Super (maybe, it might be a Super Piu?) that's been estimated to be from 1989 with both entrances on top. I also have a Concorde Aquila that was contract built in Italy by an unclear builder (some think Bilato Bros, some have made other suggestions) in ~1990 that had the front entrance on the side. Don't know what your builder used or when, but that might help narrow build year down, as might the use of 8 speed Ergos (if they're original - but they'd probably push the build date back a couple of years). The Mavic Equipped stickers on the rear might imply that the Campagnolo setup is not original, but it also might be referring to the original wheels because there's a Campagnolo sticker on the bike too. That, and the name, could imply it was the race bike of a local, sponsored racer, A. Ettore. Don't know about Oria KK Chrome Moly tubing. Doesn't look oversized, is it? Is that a unicrown fork?

Last edited by himespau; 09-03-21 at 07:55 AM.
himespau is offline  
Old 09-03-21, 08:58 AM
  #34  
BikingViking793 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 438

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 51 Posts
Nice ride
__________________
check out the Frugal Average Bicyclist
Frugal Average Bicyclist Ė The goal here is to help you keep cycling on a budget.
BikingViking793 is offline  
Old 09-03-21, 09:49 AM
  #35  
cs1
Senior Member
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Posts: 7,078

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66 View Post
I had an orange RD350, it was like riding a chainsaw catching the powerband.
Back in the day all my buddies had an RD 350. I had a Kawasaki S2 350 triple, also a 2 stroke. We made a lot of smoke and noise on those bikes.
cs1 is offline  
Old 09-03-21, 07:37 PM
  #36  
ShannonM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Humboldt County, CA
Posts: 639
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 276 Times in 189 Posts
Dude, I know nothing about your bike, other than that it's stupendously awesome and I want one.

--Shannon
ShannonM is offline  
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 09-04-21, 05:19 PM
  #37  
soulmango 
Eurotrash bikes
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 39

Bikes: 1993 Bianchi EL OS; random build PureFix fixed gear; 1968 Schwinn Racer 3-speed; 2019 Vitus Energie CRX; mid-90s Boss Hogg 24" BMX; 1999 Free Agent Team Limo; mid-1990s Virginia (model unknown); early 2000s? Fondriest Top Lite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau View Post
The internal tube routing with both the entrance and the exit on top was really only used my most steel builders for a couple years in the late 80's/early 90's (say maybe 88-92?). Most builders quickly realized that both entrances on top made great access points for sweat/water and led to corrosion, so, after a year or two, they first switched to the front entrance being on the side of the tube, and then the back a year or two later. I have a Colnago Super (maybe, it might be a Super Piu?) that's been estimated to be from 1989 with both entrances on top. I also have a Concorde Aquila that was contract built in Italy by an unclear builder (some think Bilato Bros, some have made other suggestions) in ~1990 that had the front entrance on the side. Don't know what your builder used or when, but that might help narrow build year down, as might the use of 8 speed Ergos (if they're original - but they'd probably push the build date back a couple of years). The Mavic Equipped stickers on the rear might imply that the Campagnolo setup is not original, but it also might be referring to the original wheels because there's a Campagnolo sticker on the bike too. That, and the name, could imply it was the race bike of a local, sponsored racer, A. Ettore. Don't know about Oria KK Chrome Moly tubing. Doesn't look oversized, is it? Is that a unicrown fork?
So, himespau, that's a bunch of great knowledge &/or educated guesses. Thank you for that!

I totally see & understand what you mean about the top routing entry/exit & it being an additional path for water to route in as well. My '93 or '94 Bianchi has the internal routing, but it's via the lower left side (from seated position) & exits top back


As for grouppo & badging, yes, I believe the ergo Record is original & that the Mavic was for the wheels as you mentioned.

Regarding the tubing, I was educated to the fact that
"[the] bike is built with Mannesmann steel (very pure CroMo steel) and the frame building was done by Oria, Verona. Good quality tubing!! Nice detail is that your frame has the lugless TIG-welded triangle and the solid lugged bottom bracket pot for extra stiffness."
All tubes are round except the downtube which is ovalized at the headtube & becomes rounded at the BB, & the seat- & chainstays which are all ovalized.
Oh, & yes, unicrown fork...


It's certainly nowhere near as light as my Bianchi which is oversized tubing & I don't really care. I didn't buy it to compare against the Bianchi (closest I currently have that I could compare with), I just find it to be a cool bike, steel, well-equipped, & seems like it will be solidly comfortable, take whatever I throw at it (I'm not really hesitant to take my 23 or 25c-wearing road bikes into dirt & gravel if it's where I want to go) & last forever.

Anyway, your thoughts for era seem to hover toward the 88-92 era, but not exactly sure which way you're leaning when you say "use of 8 speed Ergos (if they're original - but they'd probably push the build date back a couple of years)". Which direction are you saying? Chance of earlier or later? I'm just to good with dating Campy ergo gear.

Thanks again to you (& all others) for the great help & props. I am excited to dismantle it & clean it thoroughly (probably do a frame-saver kind of thing) & build it back properly.

Regards,
Saul

Last edited by soulmango; 09-04-21 at 05:58 PM.
soulmango is offline  
Old 09-04-21, 06:07 PM
  #38  
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 12,531
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3134 Post(s)
Liked 1,809 Times in 1,058 Posts
Originally Posted by soulmango View Post
Anyway, your thoughts for era seem to hover toward the 88-92 era, but not exactly sure which way you're leaning when you say "use of 8 speed Ergos (if they're original - but they'd probably push the build date back a couple of years)". Which direction are you saying? Chance of earlier or later? I'm just to good with dating Campy ergo gear.
I was going to put it 88-90 (cut the difference and call it 89), but I think 8 speed campagnolo only came out in 91, and even then it was only with downtube shifters. 8 speed Campagnolo Record with Ergo shifter/brake levers came out in 1992 if memory serves, so that'd put this bike as a 92 or after (if it was fall 1992, it might have been a 1993 model year or later).

1990's sort of fits with the unicrown fork (unless it's an internal lug), but I'd thought most people were changing the location of the internal routing by 1992/3. Most doesn't mean all though.
himespau is offline  
Old 09-05-21, 12:30 AM
  #39  
soulmango 
Eurotrash bikes
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 39

Bikes: 1993 Bianchi EL OS; random build PureFix fixed gear; 1968 Schwinn Racer 3-speed; 2019 Vitus Energie CRX; mid-90s Boss Hogg 24" BMX; 1999 Free Agent Team Limo; mid-1990s Virginia (model unknown); early 2000s? Fondriest Top Lite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM View Post
Dude, I know nothing about your bike, other than that it's stupendously awesome and I want one.

--Shannon
You know, Shannon, I donít know that much about it either, but I couldnít agree with you more!
soulmango is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.