Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment
Reload this Page >

Rate the last movie you watched

Notices
Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment Do we really need a description for this forum?

Rate the last movie you watched

Old 11-10-21, 04:50 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 890 Times in 591 Posts
Originally Posted by Welshboy View Post
Yes, it's a fantastic film. I'll keep an eye out for "Till the end of time". Thanks.
Is the Criterion Channel available in your area? If so you might find it a worthwhile streaming channel to subscribe if you like classic and or foreign (to the U.S.) films. It is featuring 31 Robert Mitchum films this month.

Watched last night the classic film noir featuring Robert Mitchum and Kirk Douglas, Out of the Past. Directed by Jacques Tourneur. 10/10.

Also watched The Enemy Below, starring Michum and Curt Jurgens. A good WW2 destoyer-submarie cat and mouse game with Mitchum as the Destroyer captain and Jurgens the submarine captain. I had never seen the movie in color as the only time I ever viewed it previously was on B&W broadcast TV. 7.5/10.
Old 11-11-21, 04:58 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 78 Posts

'Vertigo' (1958) - starring James Stewart, Kim Novak and Barbara Bel Geddes.

I'm really not sure how I've managed to avoid ever seeing this classic Hitchcock film but I really enjoyed it. Jimmy Stewart plays John "Scottie" Ferguson a retired San Francisco detective who suffers from acrophobia and vertigo. He gets hired to tail Madeleine (Kim Novak) the beautiful wife of a former acquaintance. You've all probably seen it but I won't spoil the plot for those who haven't. Jimmy is Jimmy, Novak looks stunning as does 1950's San Francisco - for those of you born there or lived there it must be like a postcard from the past! A true classic that gets 9/10 from me and it's ever so slightly better than 'Psycho'.
Likes For Welshboy:
Old 11-11-21, 04:14 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 351 Times in 226 Posts
No Time to Die. 7/10. Good action. Great scenic views from around the world. Wasn't a fan of the complicated plot nor the way James Bond has gone all PC.
Old 11-12-21, 05:41 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 78 Posts

'A Man Called Horse' (1970) - starring Richard Harris, Dame Judith Anderson, Corinna Tsopei and Manu Tupou.

This popped up on TCM recently and it's probably about 40 years since I last watched it. I always thought it was a true story but it's based on a short story first published in 1950 telling the story of an Englishman who is captured by a Sioux tribe and kept as a slave until he becomes a warrior after killing two warriors from another tribe. I'm way out of step with others who have rated it on IMDb where it scores 6.9 but, for me, it's 9/10.
Likes For Welshboy:
Old 11-12-21, 07:09 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2629 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 78 Posts
Knives out C+
Old 11-12-21, 07:10 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2629 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies View Post
No Time to Die. 7/10. Good action. Great scenic views from around the world. Wasn't a fan of the complicated plot nor the way James Bond has gone all PC.
My thoughts on this movie too. However I was afraid the length of the movie would be hard for me to sit through but that was not the case.
Old 11-12-21, 09:26 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by Qiana Peterson View Post
"Cursed island" with Leonardo DiCaprio. I'm amazed, now it's my favorite movie.
I think you mean "Shutter Island".
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 11-12-21, 09:49 AM
NoWhammies

Speaking of Shutter Island, I just watched this movie the other night. 8/10. Creepy feel. I liked the story line/plot. Leo did a good job and I was surprised to see Mark Ruffalo in the flick. I've always associated him with Avengers movies. Goes to show you how familiar I was with him before the Marvel universe movies came to be.
Old 11-16-21, 01:30 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 492 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies View Post
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
Knives out C+

I have yet to see No Time to Die. I am equally excited and yet a bit apprehensive about it and what the various social movements convinced the director and (money) management to do to the character in order not to offend anyone. I have watched Bond all my life and Craig has been among my favorites in the part. Seems a shame to send him out on one that completely redefines his part. Maybe they could have waited for the recast/reset for that? Anywho, I am certainly going to see it at some point...

So, to the next aspect of Craig. Knives out is an excellent example of a discussion there. It could be said that Craig sucked in the part he played in that. It could be perceived as a casting fault and that Craig did the best he could with what he was given. My opinion on that falls to the middle of the road. Quite a few of the non Bond franchise movies I have seen him in left me wanting, quite a bit. Many of them are very one time watchable, but not entertaining or strong enough to want to view multiple times. For instance Layer Cake....Now, he has has some surprising performances in Defiance and Logan Lucky. Cowboys vs Aliens was a dog no matter which way you look at it, and even Han Solo couldn't save that one.
Old 11-16-21, 04:22 PM
fletcher7

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No time to die is the last movie I watched
Old 11-17-21, 07:41 AM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese View Post
I think you mean "Shutter Island".
Oh, yes, I'm sorry. Have you seen this movie?
Yes, Shutter Island is a very good movie. Good plot with a twist that I didn't see coming, the movie is very well made, and Leonardo DeCaprio is excellent.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 11-17-21, 01:32 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Three winners from the Criterion Channel this week
Two 1940's movie starring Laird Creger who died too young at 31
I Wake Up Screaming and Hangover Square

Baby Doll, starring Carrol Baker, Eli Wallach and Karl Malden, directed by Elia Kazan. Very good but not for viewers who might get offended by a movie set and filmed in 1956 Mississippi that doesn't meet current PC standards.
Old 11-17-21, 02:17 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 290 Posts
Just finished Dune. It was okay. Way pretty than the 80s one.
Old 11-19-21, 11:25 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Respect, 2021 Aretha Franklin bio, starring Jennifer Hudson. 10/10. The scene about the making of her first hit, I Never Loved a Man at Muscle Shoals, AL is outstanding. I remember first hearing that song on the radio in 1967 and buying the 45 later that day. I had never heard of Aretha Franklin until that day and have always been a great fan of her work ever since.
Highly recommended. DVD available at the Redbox includes several short documentaries about the making of the movie.
Old 11-19-21, 12:31 PM
Cyclo_Tron

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Dune.

5 out of 10. It's the best non-literature media but it could've been 10 times better.
Likes For Cyclo_Tron:
Old 11-20-21, 09:15 AM
mrv 
BIKE RIDE

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 103 Posts
this looks interesting.....

maybe i follow up with a review later....

Old 11-20-21, 09:17 AM
mrv 
BIKE RIDE

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclo_Tron View Post
Dune.

5 out of 10. It's the best non-literature media but it could've been 10 times better.
'84 Dune or 2021 Dune? .....or doesn't matter?
I liked the '84 Dune, but I had read the book and was about 15 when I saw it. The joy of seeing the book stuck with me. . . . and messed me up, I became a David Lynch fan.
I liked the new Dune. It had it's own weirdness with Paul's visions repeating over and over.
Old 11-20-21, 12:33 PM
Cyclo_Tron

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mrv View Post
'84 Dune or 2021 Dune? .....or doesn't matter?
I liked the '84 Dune, but I had read the book and was about 15 when I saw it. The joy of seeing the book stuck with me. . . . and messed me up, I became a David Lynch fan.
I liked the new Dune. It had it's own weirdness with Paul's visions repeating over and over.
21' Dune. The 84' Dune had its ups and downs but I'd probably rate it about the same.
Likes For Cyclo_Tron:
Old 11-20-21, 01:59 PM
Ride for Pizza

Bikes: 2007 LeMond Chambery (deceased)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclo_Tron View Post
Dune.

Really?! A slow incomplete story without considering the book, but I though it was a fantastic adaptation of the book.
Old 11-20-21, 05:23 PM
Ride for Pizza

Bikes: 2007 LeMond Chambery (deceased)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Army of Thieves

7/10

Fun movie, not super deep, or visually stunning. But a nice evening with my wife and some good beer.
Likes For Ride for Pizza:
Old 11-21-21, 12:24 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820 View Post
Gallipoli -- a 1981 film directed by Peter Weir, starring Mel Gibson and Mark Lee. Pretty darned good. Funny, engaging, interesting character development, about "the big push over the top" at Gallipoli during WWI, as viewed from a couple of buddies who join up and get sent to the front. And, ultimately, a sad look at the waste of young life that war causes.

I saw it a couple of months after it first came out, back then. I've seen it many times since. Leaves you sad, given the tragedy of the situation you know's coming.
Gallipoli -- Watched it again, recently. Great film. Harsh and sad, with the reality of the war and what went on with the ANZACs there. But it's beautifully made, with great acting and cinematography. 9/10+.
Old 11-22-21, 08:25 AM
Jeff Neese

Yes, I completely agree with you. By the way, about the end of the film. My friend and I had a long discussion about whether the main character was really mad. When I finished watching, I had no doubt that it was. And most of my acquaintances think so too. But when we started discussing it, I began to doubt it.
That's one of the hallmarks of a great film - it has you thinking and talking about it later. It's been a long time since I watched Shutter Island, but my interpretation when I watched it was that he was not mad, that he realized that therapy was never going to work, and he willingly went to his "death" rather than live with what he had done. But clearly the movie left it open. Scorsese is a genius and this is one of his best. It also rewards having a good home theater setup. Both the visuals and sound editing are great - very immersive.
Old 11-22-21, 11:50 AM
colorider
smorenivore

Bikes: '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 1,379 Times in 546 Posts
Finch. 7/10 It was okay but not anything special for T. Hanks.
Old 11-22-21, 06:30 PM
NoWhammies

Dune 10/10. Stunning visuals. Incredible soundtrack. Actors who, IMHO, did a pretty good job in their roles. And a storyline that I was actually interested in. My advice? If you are going to see this movie, see it in the theatre. I do not think the movie will translate as well to the small screen.
Old 11-22-21, 08:34 PM
DMC707 

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 448 Posts
1996 Eddie Murphy Nutty Professor -- was watching it this morning

Good times -- love Dave chapelles's character ! -- just a fun movie

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.