Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Which Pallet used this Oak

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 12-03-21, 02:45 PM
prairiepedaler

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 107 Posts

Here is a stack of oak, apparently salvaged from pallets. I haven't seen wood like this before used in a pallet. Oak yes, but not these dimensions or thickness (5 1/2 wide by 2 inch thick by 43in). It must not have been ringnailed together. Ringnails in oak are a b!tch to remove. Looks useful for some sort of project. I'm guessing heavy machinery?

Old 12-03-21, 04:32 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2748 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,890 Posts
I use old pallets to set stuff on like small machinery you don’t want contacting the floor. Never seen pallets like the ones in the pic.
Old 12-03-21, 06:09 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 540 Posts
"apparently"? so, what gives you the idea they are from pallets?
Old 12-03-21, 07:49 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2268 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 657 Posts
The pallets we use have the supports that are 4.5 inches and we use those for heavy wet or frozen loads. But the ends of them are painted blue or red so we can spot them right away for their weight capacity. So it's gotta be for something like crate engines maybe?
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 12-03-21, 08:20 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 3483 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,152 Posts
Looks a lot nicer than what I see in pallets.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-03-21, 10:24 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 2,418 Times in 1,568 Posts
I see what appears to be oak lumber cross-stacked on a pallet. Looks like it was cross-stacked for drying and aging, then forgotten, maybe because the original business closed. My guess would be rough stock for making barrels.

No idea what the pallet is made of, but probably not oak unless it's an older pallet (possible, if the stacked lumber is as old as it appears to be). Too pricey and scarce nowadays, with most pallets now being yellow pine and lighter weight softer woods. But that's Texas. In your region pallets may still be oak.
Old 12-03-21, 10:48 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
I see what appears to be oak lumber cross-stacked on a pallet. Looks like it was cross-stacked for drying and aging, then forgotten, maybe because the original business closed. My guess would be rough stock for making barrels.

No idea what the pallet is made of, but probably not oak unless it's an older pallet (possible, if the stacked lumber is as old as it appears to be). Too pricey and scarce nowadays, with most pallets now being yellow pine and lighter weight softer woods. But that's Texas. In your region pallets may still be oak.
looks like oak to me. i pick up oak pallets all the time. been pulling them apart to make flooring and various things. mostly oak, but some are pine.

whatever that stack lumber was from, it was at some point fastened and constructed in some manner. you can see the staining and some holes from what i'd assume was nails. it also appears at least one side of each board was recently enough cut/ripped as the surface is lighter in color than the rest. likely cut to remove damaged surface from dismantling. it's my best guess, anyway
Likes For thook:
Old 12-03-21, 11:24 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 477 Posts
There was a packaging plant near me for several years, not fully certain what they did but it involved repackaging thick sheets of brass, bronze and aluminum. Wasn't uncommon to get a rougher cut oak that would fit those dimensions. I'd bet the 43" is just from running the saw the length of both sides of the pallets. Was always surprised how many of them would have only 1 or no center support beam but with 4x4 beams on each side and 1.5-2" thick slats I guess it wasn't too necessary. Although red oak was most common, I'd also pull cherry, maple, birch, ash, walnut, beech and white oak. The wood did have to be left to dry a little longer as most didn't seem kiln dried and it wasn't uncommon to find boards splitting near the nail holes from being assembled too wet. Built 8 rocking dinosaurs for Christmas gifts for the local food pantry all built with beautiful red oak bases and rockers that came from the pallets. Just had to move quick since some grabbed them for the firewood value.
Old 12-03-21, 11:31 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 2,418 Times in 1,568 Posts
Originally Posted by thook View Post
looks like oak to me. i pick up oak pallets all the time. been pulling them apart to make flooring and various things. mostly oak, but some are pine.

whatever that stack lumber was from, it was at some point fastened and constructed in some manner. you can see the staining and some holes from what i'd assume was nails. it also appears at least one side of each board was recently enough cut/ripped as the surface is lighter in color than the rest. likely cut to remove damaged surface from dismantling. it's my best guess, anyway
Ah, I didn't see enough detail to see where the stacked lumber had been fastened before. If those were oak pallets it had to be for some very heavy, very valuable and fragile stuff.

I used to work on a freight dock loading and unloading trucks and never saw pallets made of anything other than cheap yellow pine or comparable wood. Even with heavy loads. But our heaviest loads weren't all that valuable or fragile, usually stuff like nails, screws, nuts, bolts, metal ingots, etc.

Unfortunately that slipshod packaging and cheap pallets meant I wasted a lot of time picking up stuff from broken pallets because the manufacturer couldn't be bothered with better packaging. It got much worse very quickly in the 1990s after consumer goods trade shifted mostly to China. Back then Chinese manufacturers used unbelievably cheap, flimsy pallets that seemed to be made of biscuits, and cartons made of the kind of thin single ply cardboard we use to fill out dress shirts in cello wrap. And the equivalent to Saran wrap to hold it all together, instead of proper thick plastic wrap.

Presumably Chinese packaging has improved but I didn't stick around that job long enough to find out. After a grueling winter holiday season of messing with that atrocious packaging and pallets I quit that job. The worst was an entire truck loaded with Chinese glassware and dinnerware, which wasn't badly made, but the packaging was so flimsy it was impossible to handle without breakage. I'd estimate at least a third of that load was broken, and I couldn't work fast enough to get it done without risking slashing my hands and arms to ribbons. Even by 1990s standards it wasn't worth the $10/hour they paid casuals (non-union employees).
Old 12-04-21, 12:35 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Ah, I didn't see enough detail to see where the stacked lumber had been fastened before. If those were oak pallets it had to be for some very heavy, very valuable and fragile stuff.

I used to work on a freight dock loading and unloading trucks and never saw pallets made of anything other than cheap yellow pine or comparable wood. Even with heavy loads. But our heaviest loads weren't all that valuable or fragile, usually stuff like nails, screws, nuts, bolts, metal ingots, etc.

Unfortunately that slipshod packaging and cheap pallets meant I wasted a lot of time picking up stuff from broken pallets because the manufacturer couldn't be bothered with better packaging. It got much worse very quickly in the 1990s after consumer goods trade shifted mostly to China. Back then Chinese manufacturers used unbelievably cheap, flimsy pallets that seemed to be made of biscuits, and cartons made of the kind of thin single ply cardboard we use to fill out dress shirts in cello wrap. And the equivalent to Saran wrap to hold it all together, instead of proper thick plastic wrap.

Presumably Chinese packaging has improved but I didn't stick around that job long enough to find out. After a grueling winter holiday season of messing with that atrocious packaging and pallets I quit that job. The worst was an entire truck loaded with Chinese glassware and dinnerware, which wasn't badly made, but the packaging was so flimsy it was impossible to handle without breakage. I'd estimate at least a third of that load was broken, and I couldn't work fast enough to get it done without risking slashing my hands and arms to ribbons. Even by 1990s standards it wasn't worth the $10/hour they paid casuals (non-union employees).
i know what you mean. it boggles the mind when you think about time and money wasted all the while trying to save money. makes so much sense...lol
every couple/few weeks, i pick up nearly a ton of frozen chicken and chicken products that have been damaged in storage, loading, and shipping to feed it to the animals here (animal sanctuary). this is only a fraction of what's damaged that i don't see. i know there's a tiger refuge that picks up, too. but, they can only use raw unprocessed chicken to feed. things like breaded and/or seasoned stuff we can use to a large degree....on top of raw. at any rate, all that stuff gets damaged for the same reasons you've seen. and, who knows how much goes to rendering plants or the dump. (well, i suppose they do). so, they also have tons of pallets. all the chicken we get is stacked on one or two, wrapped (sort of), and loaded onto my flatbed trailer. i must have five or six stacks around 5ft high of pallets right now. some are those blue painted ones mentioned above. hard to do much with them as they're remarkably heavy and hard to pull apart. i use those to stack things on in the out buildings. but, to get to my point; it's northwest arkansas and full of hardwoods. there's lots of logging and several pallet companies in the region that supply the industries and distribution hubs here. i assume texas is more full of pine, and maybe that's why you see them more there? i like the pine ones when/if they're not beaten to death. easy to pull apart and i can rip them down to make trim and various things with. busted pallets make great tinder and kindling....of course
Likes For thook:
Old 12-04-21, 10:10 AM
prairiepedaler

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 107 Posts
Hello to y'all, I have not seen said wood and the picture is from an ad posted by a local seller. Doubtful he'd reveal which pallets this wood supposedly came from considering he is interested in selling it thereby jeapordizing a source. He has 75 boards at c$4 per. I broke down some a few years ago which appeared to be mahogany and still have them. These were slats, not the stringers.
Old 12-04-21, 03:34 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Timberjack, Expert TG, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 973 Posts
My kids got a heavy duty playground for Christmas last year and it was shipped on a giant triple length heavy duty pallet with basically guard rails and a few upper cross members that turned it into a sparse crate. The wood was just pine but it was dimensional lumber and they didn't skimp. I managed to hide the parts from my kids but the pallet was a "bridge" to play with for a week before I finished tearing it down. The pieces are waiting to become launch ramps soon if the weather doesn't eat them first.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 12-04-21 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-04-21, 04:03 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

fun stuff!! i've built so many things over the years with pallets; a big dog cabin, a deck, two platforms for metal storage buildings, a junk corral, the roof for a shed. not to mention the things i've made from the dismantled lumber from them. you've got a year or so with that thing's bones being out in the elements before it starts really degrading
Old 12-09-21, 10:16 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 4024 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 117 Posts
Not unusual to use oak for pallets. A place around here uses black walnut scraps.

Old 12-09-21, 01:24 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

man, you guys. i never see anything but oak and pine. i'm making an oak counter top right now. black walnut would be nice

more and more those OP photos sure look like stringers to me. just where the fasteners went and the way staining ran. you never see deck boards that thick. it's a waste
Old 12-09-21, 02:54 PM
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 458 Posts
As a kid, I was sent to a garage door warehouse to pick out the Oak rough sawn boards from the scrap pile. They were pallets which my brother and I took apart with crowbars and removed all the nails. My Dad got enough boards to build a deck from this chore. He also burned up a circular saw dealing with it.
Old 12-10-21, 01:09 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by StupidlyBrave View Post
As a kid, I was sent to a garage door warehouse to pick out the Oak rough sawn boards from the scrap pile. They were pallets which my brother and I took apart with crowbars and removed all the nails. My Dad got enough boards to build a deck from this chore. He also burned up a circular saw dealing with it.
that's a lot of work!! to do with crow bars. i got myself one of these and life got a bit easier....

just had to make a handle with some steel pipe. i cut the side stringers off with a framing saw and pull the bottom and top deck boards from the middle stringer with the tool. goes quick!