Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

LOL, slightly different headphone rant... fire hazard!

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 12-02-21, 11:45 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12031 Post(s)
Liked 3,676 Times in 2,525 Posts

OK, time and time again I have ranted and raved about the advantages of wired over wireless headphones... and that wireless has always been an option... while some smartphone vendors have chosen to remove the wired headset option.

So here's one more little "wireless" issue... wired headsets do not burst into flame.

The recalled earphones were sold at Home Depot, Lowe's, and other hardware and electronics retailers throughout the U.S., as well as on CyberGuys.com.

The recall was initiated after it was discovered that the earphones can overheat, making users susceptible to burns and putting their property at risk of fire.

Five of these reports resulted in fires, although the resulting damage, if any, was not specified. Four individuals received "minor" burns from the recalled earphones.
https://bestlifeonline.com/news-dewa...dphone-recall/

Nice job... wireless headsets that burst into flame... causing "minor burns."

"Uh dude, where's my hair?!?" Yup, for $60 or so, you can get a "wireless haircut."
Old 12-02-21, 12:03 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 16988 Post(s)
Liked 8,913 Times in 4,987 Posts
You should post this in a disc brakes are bad because I hate progress thread in there road forum.
Old 12-02-21, 12:25 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Breezer Radar

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked 1,475 Times in 714 Posts
New meaning for the phrase fire in the hole.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 12-02-21, 12:33 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
You should post this in a disc brakes are bad because I hate progress thread in there road forum.
I actually like disc brakes... Oh sure there were early problems with some designs.

Bluetooth headsets are NOT new. Making them the only option... that IS new. Wearing batteries in or near your ears... can YOU choose?
Old 12-02-21, 12:41 PM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 433 Posts
I poo-poo'd BT earbbuds before, but I am a convert. Not with apple's variant though. My el cheapo $15 earbuds from TJ Maxx have seen tons of use these last couple years. Their batt is in one of the middle bits, not in the actual buds themselves like apple's...cuz mine have a wire connecting them. If mine burst into flames, they'll singe my jacket/sweatshirt. That's about it.
Likes For skijor:
Old 12-02-21, 12:47 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1583 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 342 Posts
It is important to know that batteries in general, and particularly rechargeable batteries are all prone to catch fire spontaneously. It's super rare with alkaline battery types, but quite common in lead acid, lithium ion, nickel cadmium batteries and such.

As a part of the operations management for a fire safety company, we refuse to do work within battery distributors, storage, and retail locations simply due to the liability involved. A lithium battery fire (in particular) basically can't be put out by most traditional means. The methods are simply to help control and contain the heat produced up till it burns itself out.

It is rather surprising out of a DeWalt product to be more prone to a point of recall.
Old 12-02-21, 12:54 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15306 Post(s)
Liked 9,062 Times in 4,481 Posts
"If you love somebody better set them on fire."--The Dead Milkmen
Old 12-02-21, 04:52 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Juan Foote View Post
It is important to know that batteries in general, and particularly rechargeable batteries are all prone to catch fire spontaneously. It's super rare with alkaline battery types, but quite common in lead acid, lithium ion, nickel cadmium batteries and such.

As a part of the operations management for a fire safety company, we refuse to do work within battery distributors, storage, and retail locations simply due to the liability involved. A lithium battery fire (in particular) basically can't be put out by most traditional means. The methods are simply to help control and contain the heat produced up till it burns itself out.

It is rather surprising out of a DeWalt product to be more prone to a point of recall.
Yeah Dewalt is known for having some pretty decent tools... I suspect this was a contract job and they just slapped their brand on the package... OUCH.
Old 12-03-21, 10:26 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 2,418 Times in 1,568 Posts
Yikes. Next I'll be hearing my Skull Candy earbuds and phones are being renamed Skull Grenades.
Likes For canklecat: