Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Choosing a video viewing platform

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Choosing a video viewing platform

Old 12-04-21, 02:38 AM
  #1  
NikolasFarrel
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
NikolasFarrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Rockford Illinois USA
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Choosing a video viewing platform

Hi all, I love watching movies and shows after work or when the weather doesn't allow for travel. Used to be an HBO fan who liked the platform after watching Game of Thrones for a long time. Due to the coronavirus being downsized and after moving to a new job realized it was expensive to pay for subscriptions. Recommend a video viewing platform, there are so many of them and it's hard for me to choose.
NikolasFarrel is offline  
Old 12-05-21, 02:51 PM
  #2  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 29,135

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 881 Times in 586 Posts
Originally Posted by NikolasFarrel View Post
Hi all, I love watching movies and shows after work or when the weather doesn't allow for travel. Used to be an HBO fan who liked the platform after watching Game of Thrones for a long time. Due to the coronavirus being downsized and after moving to a new job realized it was expensive to pay for subscriptions. Recommend a video viewing platform, there are so many of them and it's hard for me to choose.
Kanopy and Hoopla, both are free streaming services available with a library card from many public libraries, Also, movie and TV series DVDs are available for borrowing for free at many public libraries.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 12-05-21, 04:01 PM
  #3  
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 27,000

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12023 Post(s)
Liked 3,672 Times in 2,521 Posts
Related to libraries, are books on tape, available for streaming at many libraries... my wife loves them.

I still like turning pages.
genec is online now  
Likes For genec:
Old 12-05-21, 11:08 PM
  #4  
Kat12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Related to libraries, are books on tape, available for streaming at many libraries... my wife loves them.

I still like turning pages.
I'm too much of a control freak to let someone else read to me...

(Also, I read quickly, so having to wait for someone else to read to me what I could've read myself faster... can't do it. When doing trainings at work, I much prefer the ones that are either something to read instead of a video to watch, or if they have subtitles and allow me to skip to the next section whenever I want, rather than having to wait for someone to slooooowly... read... to... me... each... little... bit... that... I... finished... reading... myself... forever... ago...

Sometimes it's hard for me to read out loud to others as well and I have to concentrate on speaking slowly rather than at the rate at which I actually naturally read. Because I was a good reader as a kid, I was sometimes chosen to read to the class in early elementary school; problem was that as I was reading out loud, my eyes would be reading ahead of where my voice was and I'd keep getting lost on the page and confused, lol.)
Kat12 is offline  
Likes For Kat12:
Old 12-06-21, 02:16 AM
  #5  
NikolasFarrel
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
NikolasFarrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Rockford Illinois USA
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Kanopy and Hoopla, both are free streaming services available with a library card from many public libraries, Also, movie and TV series DVDs are available for borrowing for free at many public libraries.
I will take a look, I heard about Kanopy from a friend but didn't watch it, now I can watch it since it is such a popular platform.
NikolasFarrel is offline  
Old 12-06-21, 02:21 AM
  #6  
NikolasFarrel
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
NikolasFarrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Rockford Illinois USA
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Kat12 View Post
I'm too much of a control freak to let someone else read to me...

(Also, I read quickly, so having to wait for someone else to read to me what I could've read myself faster... can't do it. When doing trainings at work, I much prefer the ones that are either something to read instead of a video to watch, or if they have subtitles and allow me to skip to the next section whenever I want, rather than having to wait for someone to slooooowly... read... to... me... each... little... bit... that... I... finished... reading... myself... forever... ago...

Sometimes it's hard for me to read out loud to others as well and I have to concentrate on speaking slowly rather than at the rate at which I actually naturally read. Because I was a good reader as a kid, I was sometimes chosen to read to the class in early elementary school; problem was that as I was reading out loud, my eyes would be reading ahead of where my voice was and I'd keep getting lost on the page and confused, lol.)
Speaking of training, you might think about doing a little audio tutorial for employees, I think many would appreciate it. I was once fond of audiobooks an interesting thing if I liked something I opened the book and read. If you are speaking in front of a larger audience and have to repeat yourself at times, this can make it difficult. Consider mini audio aids.
NikolasFarrel is offline  
Old 12-06-21, 10:49 AM
  #7  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 29,135

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 881 Times in 586 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Related to libraries, are books on tape, available for streaming at many libraries... my wife loves them.

I still like turning pages.
Also available for loan with a library card are electronic books for reading on a Kindle and other devices. My wife reads all the books of her favorite authors on her Kindle with books loaned by the library without ever needing to leave the house. I prefer the audio books. I have had access to all the top authors and books for years from the library and listened to hundreds of books while riding my bike. Good readers can add an extra dimension to a novel, just as good actors and direction add an extra dimension to a well written screenplay.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 12-06-21, 04:53 PM
  #8  
Kat12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by NikolasFarrel View Post
Speaking of training, you might think about doing a little audio tutorial for employees, I think many would appreciate it. I was once fond of audiobooks an interesting thing if I liked something I opened the book and read. If you are speaking in front of a larger audience and have to repeat yourself at times, this can make it difficult. Consider mini audio aids.
My coworkers pay absolutely no attention to any tutorials or instructions I give them. Audio or otherwise. My coworkers would likely rather also have something to read than something to listen to, if given the choice of something to ignore...
Kat12 is offline  
Old 12-07-21, 09:57 AM
  #9  
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)
 
Juan Foote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jawja
Posts: 3,978

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1582 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 342 Posts
If you are talking completely free, it may be in relation to whether you have (high data) internet service or OTA capability. Here in Atlanta, if you are close enough to town, there are a plethora of OTA (digital) signals that can be picked up. If you have internet you can stream from most of the major networks. In some cases there is a delay for new episodes. Plex has a lot of free content you can stream. There are still, so far as I understand, many of the torrent sites available that stream independent content as well.

Something else of note and worthwhile IMO, is Amazon Prime membership. If you order four or five things a month to be delivered to your home, the rest of the service perks are basically free.
Juan Foote is offline  
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 12-07-21, 11:25 AM
  #10  
NikolasFarrel
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
NikolasFarrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Rockford Illinois USA
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote View Post
If you are talking completely free, it may be in relation to whether you have (high data) internet service or OTA capability. Here in Atlanta, if you are close enough to town, there are a plethora of OTA (digital) signals that can be picked up. If you have internet you can stream from most of the major networks. In some cases there is a delay for new episodes. Plex has a lot of free content you can stream. There are still, so far as I understand, many of the torrent sites available that stream independent content as well.

Something else of note and worthwhile IMO, is Amazon Prime membership. If you order four or five things a month to be delivered to your home, the rest of the service perks are basically free.
You just enlightened me on the issue of OTA honestly never thought about it, if you can give me a link where you can read more details, I would appreciate it

I recently came across https://soap2day-movies.com/ Maybe you something about this site?

Amazon Prime to be honest I completely forgot, thanks for reminding me. I wish I could buy everything on Amazon so regularly.

Torrents? Isn't torrents piracy, I confess I downloaded a couple of programs before buying them, but I caught a worm and now I treat torrents with some caution.
NikolasFarrel is offline  
Old 12-07-21, 11:33 AM
  #11  
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)
 
Juan Foote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jawja
Posts: 3,978

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1582 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by NikolasFarrel View Post
You just enlightened me on the issue of OTA honestly never thought about it, if you can give me a link where you can read more details, I would appreciate it

I recently came across https://soap2day-movies.com/ Maybe you something about this site?

Amazon Prime to be honest I completely forgot, thanks for reminding me. I wish I could buy everything on Amazon so regularly.

Torrents? Isn't torrents piracy, I confess I downloaded a couple of programs before buying them, but I caught a worm and now I treat torrents with some caution.
OTA, like a digital receiver/antenna. No secret, just have to be close enough to broadcast (towers) to get them. I live in a hole and am technically close enough, but only get two OTA channels here.

Not familiar with the site.

Torrents are simply a method for distributing streams. They don't have to violate copyright if there is permission from the creator. Unfortunately, my ISP throttles when I attempt to connect to a torrent site and have no real feel for the landscape any longer. I even tried VPN and they weren't having it. Plex, on the other hand, works quite well.

Something else not to overlook. YouTube. They offer all kinds of free media. You have to create a Google account and sign in for age verification. I suggest using AdBlockPlus, or similar with it.
Juan Foote is offline  
Old 12-07-21, 08:09 PM
  #12  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 13,221

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 2,418 Times in 1,568 Posts
I don't care about new release movies and rarely have. I don't even care about spoilers so I still enjoy movies two or three years after the initial release and hearing about them.

Amazon Prime is okay for that. Plenty of movies and TV shows, but few new movies or TV shows. I check off movies I want to watch and get notifications when they're available.

YouTube has many good movies that are free with ads. I use ad blocker so the ads don't show. It's not easy to find a complete catalog of free YouTube movies though, but a manual search will turn them up.

Amazon Prime also has movies with ads. My ad blocker doesn't work there.

I used to check Hulu and others for free movies. Sony has, or had, a small selection of good free movies without ads -- I forget the name of their movie site.

Never used torrents, although I had invitations years ago. A friend who's stuck in Vietnam uses it to watch movies. He traveled there in late 2019 intending to stay only a few months, but the pandemic came along with travel restrictions so he's stuck there, although he enjoys the place. They enjoyed relatively free movement, with masks, etc., throughout most of 2020, but the Super Cooties finally caught up with them and Vietnam has had lockdowns and restrictions most of this year. So he's watching a lot of free movies and TV shows via whatever torrents he can access. I don't know anything else about it.

FWIW, I don't mind reasonable use of targeted ads. The reason I block most ads is because (a) they aren't relevant to me, despite websites harvesting my data, and (b) unlike the old days of TV which inserted ads at appropriate breaks in the programming, YouTube and other sites randomly interrupt shows without regard to the intended commercial break points. So until they get it right, I block 'em. I selectively allow ads for some YouTube independent creators of original material to support them. But YouTube itself can eat a bug.
canklecat is offline  
Old 12-08-21, 12:52 AM
  #13  
NikolasFarrel
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
NikolasFarrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Rockford Illinois USA
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
I don't care about new release movies and rarely have. I don't even care about spoilers so I still enjoy movies two or three years after the initial release and hearing about them.

Amazon Prime is okay for that. Plenty of movies and TV shows, but few new movies or TV shows. I check off movies I want to watch and get notifications when they're available.

YouTube has many good movies that are free with ads. I use ad blocker so the ads don't show. It's not easy to find a complete catalog of free YouTube movies though, but a manual search will turn them up.

Amazon Prime also has movies with ads. My ad blocker doesn't work there.

I used to check Hulu and others for free movies. Sony has, or had, a small selection of good free movies without ads -- I forget the name of their movie site.

Never used torrents, although I had invitations years ago. A friend who's stuck in Vietnam uses it to watch movies. He traveled there in late 2019 intending to stay only a few months, but the pandemic came along with travel restrictions so he's stuck there, although he enjoys the place. They enjoyed relatively free movement, with masks, etc., throughout most of 2020, but the Super Cooties finally caught up with them and Vietnam has had lockdowns and restrictions most of this year. So he's watching a lot of free movies and TV shows via whatever torrents he can access. I don't know anything else about it.

FWIW, I don't mind reasonable use of targeted ads. The reason I block most ads is because (a) they aren't relevant to me, despite websites harvesting my data, and (b) unlike the old days of TV which inserted ads at appropriate breaks in the programming, YouTube and other sites randomly interrupt shows without regard to the intended commercial break points. So until they get it right, I block 'em. I selectively allow ads for some YouTube independent creators of original material to support them. But YouTube itself can eat a bug.
I was recommended Brave browser by a friend because I often work with YouTube music and it works in the background, but sometimes there is a huge amount of advertising as the target and not. When I turned on YouTube via Brave to my surprise there were no ads. I haven't checked with other sites yet though. Google ads have also ceased to haunt.

I had planned to go to Vietnam before the quarantine, but when I found out how many people were stuck there I was hesitant.

I myself have not followed much at all new films as I think there is a race for graphics, not a story, but sometimes I can watch something quite new.

Once again I am convinced that I have not studied Amazon and all its services completely. Always used as a marketplace.
NikolasFarrel is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.