Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Increased stress

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Increased stress

Old 12-26-21, 12:15 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Timberjack, Expert TG, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2686 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 978 Posts
There’s a lot of psychiatry in this thread but “I blacked out and fell off my bike” sure sounds more body than mind
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 12-27-21, 12:31 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 2,418 Times in 1,568 Posts
Nikolas mentioned in post #18 that he had breakthrough COVID despite the vaccine (I'm pretty sure I did as well, beginning the end of September and easing up only in early December, also despite the Moderna vaccines --- I'm in a high risk environment with most people taking few or no precautions).

That almost certainly explains the symptoms he's experienced. I had similar symptoms, as have many other folks who developed COVID. It's a nasty illness and doesn't merely affect the respiratory system. It also affects the neurological system, which was noted by researchers in 2005 after the 2004 SARS pandemic, and again by more recent research into the current pandemic.

While I don't dispute the benefits of psychiatry, psychology and philosophy such as Stoicism (the contemporary manifestation of which is often dumbed down to "Suck it up, buttercup" memes), vertigo, anxiety, fatigue, etc., are physical symptoms of real physical illnesses. And with COVID, recuperation can be very slow, taking months or a year. I've seen those significant physical declines and long recoveries among friends who got COVID since 2020. One of those is a 50something cyclist who's one of the strongest, fastest, naturally gifted cyclists I've ever seen. He usually averages 20 mph without really hammering, and holds many local KOMs. His recovery from COVID took months and when he was able to resume riding he was averaging around 15 mph, my typical slowpoke pace.

And at the risk of sounding melodramatic, the lingering effects of COVID and prolonged recovery have so strongly affected some formerly strong and healthy folks that they've committed suicide. It's different when our physical decline is gradual, as normally occurs. We gradually become accustomed to getting slower, weaker, more fatigued, perhaps with chronic pain. But when it happens suddenly to folks who were in their prime before becoming ill, it's a serious problem that requires more than just physical intervention to cope.

Last edited by canklecat; 12-27-21 at 12:37 AM.
Old 12-27-21, 08:13 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 139 Posts
I like the words of Dumas in "The Count of Monte Cristo* when he says "There is neither happiness nor misery in the world; there is only the comparison of one state state with another, nothing more."

I always look at my grandfather's life as a source of inspiration. He never suffered from a moment of depression. He was one of 12 children in a farm household where each and every child was expected to work to help support the family, most had never worn a pair of new shoes or a set of new clothes. At the age of 8 he was sent to work full time in a textile mill, the older kids labored in the fields. At the age of 14 he ran away from home and enlisted in the Army, and became a Cavalryman at an age when kids today aren't yet old enough to drive. Army pay in 1933 was less than what he earned as an 8-year-old textile worker, but he liked Army life. 8 years later he was deployed to the Pacific to fight the Japanese. 16 of the 18 members in his troop were killed in action or in the captivity of the Japanese. He returned from the war disabled and with an impressive collection of scars. He lived the rest of his life modestly and honestly, sleeping soundly.

If you are not happy with your life, perhaps you need a change. About 15 years ago I decided I didn't like being where I was. I had a job I didn't like in a place I disliked, and had had a number of bad relationships. I realized there were no chains holding me where I was, so I packed my bags and moved to Japan, where I have lived ever since. I could have gone to Europe, or Brazil, or some other place, the location was less important than the change in scenery. Being unpleased withy former life, I made a new one for myself, one which I liked better.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 01-12-22, 03:33 PM
NikolasFarrel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Friends, I know this is a forum to give likes, but I will say thank you all very much for the moral support you have given and are giving me. After COVID, I become more sentimental or conversely, more human and more appreciative of other people's company and support. I feel a little better now, but as it turned out my depression and ill health are the residual effects of COVID, at least that is what the doctors concluded. By the way, meditation and breath control help to calm down and gradually strengthen the lungs. Once again, thank you all so much for your support.
Old 01-25-22, 04:23 PM
jerrymor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
I have few methods to deal with the stress which work for me personally:
- yoga - one of the best and the most effective for me. When i am stressed the hardest part is to get on the mat but as soon as i am there i feel much more relaxed
- long bath with essential oils
- meditation - even 10 minutes can change a lot
In case i can't deal with the stress level anymore i can always give a call to CanadaDrugs and ask advice about the medication or visit a doctor.

Last edited by jerrymor; 01-30-22 at 02:27 PM.