Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Plans in the works for a "Great Redwood Trail" from Willits to Eureka

Notices
Northern California Northern California

Plans in the works for a "Great Redwood Trail" from Willits to Eureka

Old 01-06-22, 07:18 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 549 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun View Post
It could hookup with the Avenue of the Giants that goes from Garberville to Rio Dell. It was the only time that the freeway engineers left the old Hwy 101 intact and available for cyclists to use. The Avenue of the Giants is one of the most beautiful and relatively traffic free places I have found to ride and my favorite bike ride for the past 50 years.
What we really need is a paved trail running parallel to Avenue of the Giants.
Old 01-06-22, 07:47 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina View Post
What we really need is a paved trail running parallel to Avenue of the Giants.
That would be wonderful, for cyclists and walkers. But with all the "historic" trees around, and how tight the space is, it's hard to see how a new trail could be cut and paved without a big ruckus being made from folks. For that reason, alone, I doubt it'll ever get seriously proposed or built.

Nice thing is, it's a relatively little-traveled road through the Avenue. Even at peak season, it's not all that bad. It's darker, with the canopy, and with the windy roadway and near-zero shoulder. But it's relatively safe for cyclists, all things considered. Bummer that the route wasn't cut 20ft wider during initial creation, decades ago, in anticipation of future use.
Old 01-06-22, 08:06 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 549 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820 View Post
That would be wonderful, for cyclists and walkers. But with all the "historic" trees around, and how tight the space is, it's hard to see how a new trail could be cut and paved without a big ruckus being made from folks. For that reason, alone, I doubt it'll ever get seriously proposed or built.

Nice thing is, it's a relatively little-traveled road through the Avenue. Even at peak season, it's not all that bad. It's darker, with the canopy, and with the windy roadway and near-zero shoulder. But it's relatively safe for cyclists, all things considered. Bummer that the route wasn't cut 20ft wider during initial creation, decades ago, in anticipation of future use.
Fair point. An unpaved trail would be much easier, and probably more sensible.