Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Took the new Defy out for the first time, stem length?

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

Took the new Defy out for the first time, stem length?

Old 01-14-22, 11:20 AM
  #1  
Defy Dene
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Posts: 24

Bikes: Roam E & Defy3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Took the new Defy out for the first time, stem length?

Before getting a proper fit when I get a few kms under my belt and used to my new ML Defy 3, what are my options for a 90mm stem? The LBS donít appear to have any Giant branded ones online but I am looking at a Deda Elementi from Chain Reaction. Not cheap.
Or ride the Defy a little bit longer than 40 minutes I did yesterday and see if the seat position I moved forward can provide comfort?
I just noticed after a few minutes my hands always gravitated to a natural position a few mmís away from the hoods.
Iím 180cm and 62 years old, so this was an eye opener compared to my Roam E bike.
Thanks for all your continuing helpÖ..
Defy Dene is offline  
Old 01-14-22, 12:09 PM
  #2  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 37,835

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 352 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19363 Post(s)
Liked 7,925 Times in 3,999 Posts
Don't change your saddle position to address reach; saddle adjustments are for your position relative to the pedals/crankset.

While 90mm is a very common stem length, many Giants have oversized steerers, so you may have a limited selection. Have you contacted the shop where you got the bike? They should have bins of compatible stems around for you to try or buy.
WhyFi is offline  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-14-22, 12:36 PM
  #3  
Defy Dene
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Posts: 24

Bikes: Roam E & Defy3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Don't change your saddle position to address reach; saddle adjustments are for your position relative to the pedals/crankset.

While 90mm is a very common stem length, many Giants have oversized steerers, so you may have a limited selection. Have you contacted the shop where you got the bike? They should have bins of compatible stems around for you to try or buy.
Valid points.
The bike shop does have loads of 90mm and they are sending me one and just like what you said, they stated that you donít really want to move the seat to make the bars closer. Knee over pedals is affected there.
Thanks!
Defy Dene is offline  
Likes For Defy Dene:
Old 01-14-22, 01:35 PM
  #4  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 5,034
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4909 Post(s)
Liked 7,065 Times in 3,061 Posts
Get fit by the shop. They'll know what they are doing, and they'll have a box full of take-off stems and seatposts that they will supply if you need something different.
Koyote is online now  
Old 01-14-22, 05:35 PM
  #5  
Defy Dene
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Posts: 24

Bikes: Roam E & Defy3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
The shop where I bought the bike from is sending up another stem and Iíll try that for a few rides and send whichever one back I donít want.
Defy Dene is offline  
Old 01-14-22, 10:32 PM
  #6  
Dean V
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,835
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 244 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Don't change your saddle position to address reach; saddle adjustments are for your position relative to the pedals/crankset.

While 90mm is a very common stem length, many Giants have oversized steerers, so you may have a limited selection. Have you contacted the shop where you got the bike? They should have bins of compatible stems around for you to try or buy.
Advanced 3 will have a regular 1.125" steerer. Only Advanced Pro and SL have the 1.25".
Dean V is offline  
Likes For Dean V:
Old 01-16-22, 01:05 AM
  #7  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 9,701

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2790 Post(s)
Liked 1,952 Times in 1,291 Posts
I would just get.a fit. Save the guessing game and actually get you dialed in and comfortable. However I am slightly biased having had a fit and being a lot more comfortable afterwards and I do mean a lot.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 01-16-22, 01:47 PM
  #8  
Defy Dene
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Posts: 24

Bikes: Roam E & Defy3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
I would just get.a fit. Save the guessing game and actually get you dialed in and comfortable. However I am slightly biased having had a fit and being a lot more comfortable afterwards and I do mean a lot.
I am looking forwards to a fit, but live in a small town and pickings are slim.
I just hope the person I choose to do it will be good. Im getting a knee replaced soon so donít know if it would be wise to get fitted before that procedure. Ugh.
As it stands now, Iím able to do about 20kms, and the shoulders are extremely tired, and hands numb. I would sell the bike before I will do what my friends wife did with their fancy Specialized road bike and put all the spacers to the max, bought a long adjustable stem and tilted the bars waaay up. The hoods are about two inches above the saddle.
Iíd sell my Defy.
Hoping the 90mm will help.
Defy Dene is offline  
Old 01-16-22, 02:31 PM
  #9  
burnthesheep
Newbie racer
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 3,186

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,405 Times in 876 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Don't change your saddle position to address reach; saddle adjustments are for your position relative to the pedals/crankset.

While 90mm is a very common stem length, many Giants have oversized steerers, so you may have a limited selection. Have you contacted the shop where you got the bike? They should have bins of compatible stems around for you to try or buy.
Giant has a steering tube/stem adapter shim. It usually comes with one of their stems purchased separate from a bike. I have one laying around. Somewhere. But I agree with this poster above.
burnthesheep is offline  
Old 01-16-22, 05:59 PM
  #10  
PeteHski
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 3,160
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1493 Post(s)
Liked 1,586 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by Defy Dene View Post
I am looking forwards to a fit, but live in a small town and pickings are slim.
I just hope the person I choose to do it will be good. Im getting a knee replaced soon so donít know if it would be wise to get fitted before that procedure. Ugh.
As it stands now, Iím able to do about 20kms, and the shoulders are extremely tired, and hands numb. I would sell the bike before I will do what my friends wife did with their fancy Specialized road bike and put all the spacers to the max, bought a long adjustable stem and tilted the bars waaay up. The hoods are about two inches above the saddle.
Iíd sell my Defy.
Hoping the 90mm will help.
I think a professional fit would be a waste of money ahead of a knee replacement. Hands going numb and tired shoulders possibly means you have the saddle too far forward i.e. too much weight supported on your arms. That would make sense if you moved your saddle forward in an attempt to shorten your reach. A shorter stem and saddle moved further back might help a lot with these issues.
PeteHski is offline  
Old 01-16-22, 06:11 PM
  #11  
Defy Dene
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Posts: 24

Bikes: Roam E & Defy3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski View Post
I think a professional fit would be a waste of money ahead of a knee replacement. Hands going numb and tired shoulders possibly means you have the saddle too far forward i.e. too much weight supported on your arms. That would make sense if you moved your saddle forward in an attempt to shorten your reach. A shorter stem and saddle moved further back might help a lot with these issues.
Thatís good to know Pete. Thanks for the input. I guess Iím sort of reverse thinking this seat fore and aft position then?
I thought moving it forwards would reduce hand fatigue, but actually after doing that the other day, the last two rides have made it seem like there is more pressure where my palms contact the hoods. Definitely moving it forwards made the reach less, so maybe moving it back a bit combined with the 90mm (which should be here Tuesday), might be the trick.
Defy Dene is offline  
Old 01-16-22, 06:18 PM
  #12  
PeteHski
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 3,160
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1493 Post(s)
Liked 1,586 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by Defy Dene View Post
Thatís good to know Pete. Thanks for the input. I guess Iím sort of reverse thinking this seat fore and aft position then?
I thought moving it forwards would reduce hand fatigue, but actually after doing that the other day, the last two rides have made it seem like there is more pressure where my palms contact the hoods. Definitely moving it forwards made the reach less, so maybe moving it back a bit combined with the 90mm (which should be here Tuesday), might be the trick.
Yep, that's the problem with moving the seat forward just to reduce reach. You are moving your centre of gravity forward, which puts more weight on your hands. First you need to find your natural balance point over the BB via seat fore/aft adjustment and then choose a stem length to provide a comfortable reach.
PeteHski is offline  
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-16-22, 09:33 PM
  #13  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 9,701

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2790 Post(s)
Liked 1,952 Times in 1,291 Posts
Originally Posted by Defy Dene View Post
I am looking forwards to a fit, but live in a small town and pickings are slim.
I just hope the person I choose to do it will be good. Im getting a knee replaced soon so donít know if it would be wise to get fitted before that procedure. Ugh.
As it stands now, Iím able to do about 20kms, and the shoulders are extremely tired, and hands numb. I would sell the bike before I will do what my friends wife did with their fancy Specialized road bike and put all the spacers to the max, bought a long adjustable stem and tilted the bars waaay up. The hoods are about two inches above the saddle.
Iíd sell my Defy.
Hoping the 90mm will help.
I would start by at least having a conversation with your local fitter, at the very least they can guide you on when to do and they may say do it now, and then come back for a follow up after your back up from surgery. That is generally what a good fitter would do for you. If nothing else travel out a bit and find someone if needed be.

I would't go crazy with adjustable stems and spacers on a carbon steerer tube just so you don't cause undue stress and cause any issues down the road. You might find a bike that works better for you but first see a fitter and at least start the conversation and at the very least you have something.
veganbikes is offline  
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-16-22, 10:13 PM
  #14  
Defy Dene
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Posts: 24

Bikes: Roam E & Defy3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
I would start by at least having a conversation with your local fitter, at the very least they can guide you on when to do and they may say do it now, and then come back for a follow up after your back up from surgery. That is generally what a good fitter would do for you. If nothing else travel out a bit and find someone if needed be.

I would't go crazy with adjustable stems and spacers on a carbon steerer tube just so you don't cause undue stress and cause any issues down the road. You might find a bike that works better for you but first see a fitter and at least start the conversation and at the very least you have something.
Thanks veganÖ
I might talk to the gal in town here that does the fitting.
Defy Dene is offline  
Likes For Defy Dene:
Old 01-16-22, 10:21 PM
  #15  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 9,701

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2790 Post(s)
Liked 1,952 Times in 1,291 Posts
Originally Posted by Defy Dene View Post
Thanks veganÖ
I might talk to the gal in town here that does the fitting.
No worries, hopefully it will help. Never hurts to have chat and if nothing else you at least know a little more after it than before and if it works out you will be a whole lot more comfortable on a machine that you should be comfortable on.
veganbikes is offline  
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-17-22, 05:22 PM
  #16  
Defy Dene
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Posts: 24

Bikes: Roam E & Defy3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Moved the seat back quite a bit and found still a ton of weight on my hands (couldnít tell zero improvement), locked arms to help hold torso up. Hard to reach hoods so I hope 90mm will help. Shoulders rolled so far forwards made it 13 kms this loop. Going to work up to 20 km by end of the month. Bad knees felt great, bum perfect so this road bike style still has merit.
Thanks
Defy Dene is offline  
Old 01-17-22, 06:28 PM
  #17  
PeteHski
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 3,160
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1493 Post(s)
Liked 1,586 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by Defy Dene View Post
Moved the seat back quite a bit and found still a ton of weight on my hands (couldnít tell zero improvement), locked arms to help hold torso up. Hard to reach hoods so I hope 90mm will help. Shoulders rolled so far forwards made it 13 kms this loop. Going to work up to 20 km by end of the month. Bad knees felt great, bum perfect so this road bike style still has merit.
Thanks
Sounds like your position is now too stretched out for your current flexibility. Locked out arms is not good, either for comfort or steering control. Shorter stem should help and more riding should improve your flexibility - also consider basic off-bike stretching, mobility and core strength exercises. It all needs working on! Don't rush it, just stay within your comfort zone and keep chipping away at bike fit and fitness. You will get there eventually.
PeteHski is offline  
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-18-22, 09:32 AM
  #18  
alcjphil
Senior Member
 
alcjphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 4,845
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Liked 843 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by Defy Dene View Post
Moved the seat back quite a bit and found still a ton of weight on my hands
You shouldn't make large changes all at once. A few millimetres at a time is the way to go about making changes in position
alcjphil is offline  
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 01-18-22, 01:38 PM
  #19  
eduskator
Senior Member
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Quťbec, Canada
Posts: 1,177

Bikes: TCR Pro, Revolt Adv, Trance X

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski View Post
Sounds like your position is now too stretched out for your current flexibility. Locked out arms is not good, either for comfort or steering control. Shorter stem should help and more riding should improve your flexibility - also consider basic off-bike stretching, mobility and core strength exercises. It all needs working on! Don't rush it, just stay within your comfort zone and keep chipping away at bike fit and fitness. You will get there eventually.
+1, upper back pain for sure after a while...

Improper stem length or insufficient flexibility, I bet it's a mix of the two. At 62 years old, it's clearly normal to be stiffer and less flexible than the average joe who buys and rides endurance road bikes unless they cycled with this type of geometry all their lives. He may not even be compatible with the bike. Even if the Defy has an endurance geometry, it's still a big jump from a Roam.

OP: aside from having some flex in your arms when riding, you shouldn't be able to see your front wheel hub either. You can't rely simply on this, but it really helps determining if you have the right stem. If you see your front hub behind your bars when riding, it may be a sign.

Last edited by eduskator; 01-18-22 at 01:42 PM.
eduskator is offline  
Old 01-18-22, 06:09 PM
  #20  
Defy Dene
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Posts: 24

Bikes: Roam E & Defy3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator View Post
+1, upper back pain for sure after a while...

Improper stem length or insufficient flexibility, I bet it's a mix of the two. At 62 years old, it's clearly normal to be stiffer and less flexible than the average joe who buys and rides endurance road bikes unless they cycled with this type of geometry all their lives. He may not even be compatible with the bike. Even if the Defy has an endurance geometry, it's still a big jump from a Roam.

OP: aside from having some flex in your arms when riding, you shouldn't be able to see your front wheel hub either. You can't rely simply on this, but it really helps determining if you have the right stem. If you see your front hub behind your bars when riding, it may be a sign.
Iíll probably go for another ride tomorrow and definitely make a note of where the front hub lies in my line of sight.
Heck of a good point, thanks!
Defy Dene is offline  
Old 01-18-22, 06:30 PM
  #21  
PeteHski
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 3,160
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1493 Post(s)
Liked 1,586 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by Defy Dene View Post
Iíll probably go for another ride tomorrow and definitely make a note of where the front hub lies in my line of sight.
Heck of a good point, thanks!
It's a golden oldie rule, not to be taken too seriously. But as eduskator said, it might give you a clue if you are miles out of position.
PeteHski is offline  
Old 01-20-22, 01:02 AM
  #22  
Defy Dene
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Posts: 24

Bikes: Roam E & Defy3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator View Post
+1, upper back pain for sure after a while...

Improper stem length or insufficient flexibility, I bet it's a mix of the two. At 62 years old, it's clearly normal to be stiffer and less flexible than the average joe who buys and rides endurance road bikes unless they cycled with this type of geometry all their lives. He may not even be compatible with the bike. Even if the Defy has an endurance geometry, it's still a big jump from a Roam.

OP: aside from having some flex in your arms when riding, you shouldn't be able to see your front wheel hub either. You can't rely simply on this, but it really helps determining if you have the right stem. If you see your front hub behind your bars when riding, it may be a sign.
Can't see front wheel hub but if I had to split hairs, the hub looks closer to rear of handle bars, so hoping a 90mm stem will help.
Defy Dene is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.