Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Product Shortages in your area?

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 01-18-22, 08:03 PM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 387 Posts

There are supposed to be widespread shortages of products in the USA, has anyone experienced this phenomenon? Lots of empty car dealer lots, but that's been ongoing. In the grocery stores near me the only shortage I've seen is ramen noodles, the instant kind that come in a single-serving plastic bag for 25 - 30 cents each. There's usually a few shelves full of them at my local supermarket, but those shelves have been barren the last few weeks. No colleges nearby so can't blame it on students stocking up for the semester. Plenty of toilet paper.

Anyone else experiencing shortages?
Old 01-18-22, 08:14 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2769 Post(s)
Liked 2,933 Times in 1,907 Posts
Cat Food! not kidding. Pet food was scarce. Supplies are back but lean.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 01-18-22, 08:33 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Focus Mares AL, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 686 Posts
If you order a product from my company, you're looking at delivery in August 2023 and counting (as compared to 90 days in normal times). Which means we won't make any money on your order until August 2023. And that is a big darned problem. It ain't toilet paper, it's infrastructure.

So, you wonder, how long can infrastructure crumble before toilet paper doesn't show up on the shelves?

Nobody actually knows.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 01-19-22, 01:35 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 2,418 Times in 1,568 Posts
Yup. Definitely a shortage of automobiles. But that's primarily a shipping crisis, not specifically related to the pandemic, although the Super Cooties Apocalypse didn't help matters. We were going to see shortages and price hikes even without the pandemic.

And we'll see more shortages and exorbitant prices this year. While the news media and politicians make hay or hash about the shortage of employees, they're telling only one side of the story: employees aren't willing to risk their health and lives in the underpaid service industry to feed, nurse, or drive hostile and sometimes violent "customers." Several friends work (or did work) in health care, restaurants, Uber, etc., and I've heard their horror stories firsthand.

And in my area (Fort Worth/Dallas) the entertainment, dining and drinking businesses were grossly overbuilt in anticipation of endless economic growth. Well, guess what... no local economy can thrive for long when most jobs are in the service sector. Wait staff can't even afford to eat and drink at all those other restaurants, bars and pubs. Without significantly more good paying jobs in manufacturing, tech and professional fields, there are far more eating and drinking places than the economy can support.

Good employees would happily work in productive jobs for a decent wage, but the US doesn't make much of anything anymore. Our lopsided international trade and favoritism toward foreign partners has finally caught up with us.

My usual jogging/walking route covers a large car dealership. Over the past two years their inventory has dropped significantly for new and good used cars. They've vacated an entire building and lot that was no longer productive (I think last winter's deep freeze and plumbing problems was a factor). The main lots range from half full to half empty. Plenty of luxo high end gas guzzlers, not nearly as many utilitarian cars.

And it's a seller's market. Some dealers are tacking on a 20% or so profit on top of MSRP, and buyers will pay it or they won't get a vehicle. Last time I saw that kind of quirk in the car economy was during the mid-1980s, when all Honda dealers in the US -- and a few Toyota and Nissan dealers -- tacked on a non-negotiable profit margin on top of MSRP... and customers paid it for the perceived benefits of a Honda.

Meat has never been unavailable in my area, but prices have fluctuated. I usually check Kroger's bargain bin fridge once or twice a week to stock up on decent beef. Occasionally I'll even see some better quality beef for around $5-$6/lb, which ain't bad by current standards. Pork and chicken fluctuate quite a bit too. Ditto eggs -- the price of a dozen can vary from a dollar one week to $3 the next week, but that's been true for years, long before the pandemic economic crisis, and unrelated shipping crisis.

The ammunition shortage persists. I need to requalify and had to switch from my familiar .38/.357 to 9mm because I haven't see any .38 Special or .357 Mag ammo in almost two years, and the tiny bit available is double the MSRP. But 9mm is reasonably available and not terribly overpriced... by contemporary standards. My old boxes of ammo from the 1980s-'90s are labeled with prices of $5 to $15 a box, while current prices are $20-$50. But I no longer shoot competitions so I don't use much anymore, and if I did I'd switch to .22 for silhouettes, etc. I only use enough to qualify every few years. Technically Texas no longer even requires a permit, but it's still a good idea to be eligible for liability insurance, and unspoken but acknowledged credibility.

The mini-bike boom seems to have faded. I'm not seeing exorbitant prices for used bikes and components now. As anticipated, the folks who were temporarily out of work or stuck home with kids out of school in spring 2020 have already given up their brief fling with cycling, jogging, walking, etc.

Another downside is I'm seeing fewer bargains in new/old stock athletic shoes. Back in 2020 and early 2021 I found bargains in athletic shoes from Adidas, Nike, etc., almost every visit to Ross and Marshall's discount stores. I bought about six pair of Adidas and Under Armour shoes for $30 or less per pair (shoes that usually cost upward of $150), and put about 700 miles running on 'em (and another 500 miles or so walking) in 2021. But that market glitch seems to have faded and I haven't seen any bargains on really good athletic shoes in months in Ross and Marshall's.
Old 01-19-22, 09:38 AM
John Foster

Bikes: '16 Scott CR1 '82 Norco MagnumII

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Ontario Canada Shortages

I work at a hardware/building supply store.

We can barely get 2x4 and 2x6 lumber and plywood in as fast as they go out.
For our farm customers, the Ivermectin shelf is empty.
Alcohol and peroxide are always in short supply
Custom window orders take forever to come.
Our hardware store quality bike accessory shelf ( bells, tubes, reflectors) has been virtually empty since the start of the pandemic.

We personally ordered a new Silverado truck in October, we heard that there is a build date for it in February, we will wait and see. A lot of people are waiting 9-12 months for new trucks.
Also personally we have been waiting over 8 months for a new bar fridge.
We get our television via roof top antenna, the rotor control died over a year ago and we are still waiting for a new one. Fortunately we can manually clamp it in place with an orientation that gets our favorite channels.
Old 01-19-22, 11:00 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
I can not find a can of Friskies pate Turkey and giblets for 30m radius.
Old 01-19-22, 11:08 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
The ammunition shortage persists. I need to requalify and had to switch from my familiar .38/.357 to 9mm because I haven't see any .38 Special or .357 Mag ammo in almost two years, and the tiny bit available is double the MSRP. But 9mm is reasonably available and not terribly overpriced... by contemporary standards. My old boxes of ammo from the 1980s-'90s are labeled with prices of $5 to $15 a box, while current prices are $20-$50. But I no longer shoot competitions so I don't use much anymore, and if I did I'd switch to .22 for silhouettes, etc. I only use enough to qualify every few years. Technically Texas no longer even requires a permit, but it's still a good idea to be eligible for liability insurance, and unspoken but acknowledged credibility.

Another downside is I'm seeing fewer bargains in new/old stock athletic shoes. Back in 2020 and early 2021 I found bargains in athletic shoes from Adidas, Nike, etc., almost every visit to Ross and Marshall's discount stores. I bought about six pair of Adidas and Under Armour shoes for $30 or less per pair (shoes that usually cost upward of $150), and put about 700 miles running on 'em (and another 500 miles or so walking) in 2021. But that market glitch seems to have faded and I haven't seen any bargains on really good athletic shoes in months in Ross and Marshall's.

I've noticed those shoe shortages as well and it'll only get worse as the big companies are starting to cutoff sales to those discount chains. I predict a massive climb in athletic shoe prices in the coming years.

If ammo is hard to find out there, come out to Tacoma, wa. Most of the city hears gunshots multiple times a day, my home security cameras have caught 3 in the last 6months. The tweakers are reloading from somewhere and it's been going like this since the start of covid.
Old 01-19-22, 11:18 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Yup. Definitely a shortage of automobiles. But that's primarily a shipping crisis, not specifically related to the pandemic, although the Super Cooties Apocalypse didn't help matters. We were going to see shortages and price hikes even without the pandemic.

And we'll see more shortages and exorbitant prices this year. While the news media and politicians make hay or hash about the shortage of employees, they're telling only one side of the story: employees aren't willing to risk their health and lives in the underpaid service industry to feed, nurse, or drive hostile and sometimes violent "customers." Several friends work (or did work) in health care, restaurants, Uber, etc., and I've heard their horror stories firsthand.

And in my area (Fort Worth/Dallas) the entertainment, dining and drinking businesses were grossly overbuilt in anticipation of endless economic growth. Well, guess what... no local economy can thrive for long when most jobs are in the service sector. Wait staff can't even afford to eat and drink at all those other restaurants, bars and pubs. Without significantly more good paying jobs in manufacturing, tech and professional fields, there are far more eating and drinking places than the economy can support.

Good employees would happily work in productive jobs for a decent wage, but the US doesn't make much of anything anymore. Our lopsided international trade and favoritism toward foreign partners has finally caught up with us.

My usual jogging/walking route covers a large car dealership. Over the past two years their inventory has dropped significantly for new and good used cars. They've vacated an entire building and lot that was no longer productive (I think last winter's deep freeze and plumbing problems was a factor). The main lots range from half full to half empty. Plenty of luxo high end gas guzzlers, not nearly as many utilitarian cars.

And it's a seller's market. Some dealers are tacking on a 20% or so profit on top of MSRP, and buyers will pay it or they won't get a vehicle. Last time I saw that kind of quirk in the car economy was during the mid-1980s, when all Honda dealers in the US -- and a few Toyota and Nissan dealers -- tacked on a non-negotiable profit margin on top of MSRP... and customers paid it for the perceived benefits of a Honda.

Meat has never been unavailable in my area, but prices have fluctuated. I usually check Kroger's bargain bin fridge once or twice a week to stock up on decent beef. Occasionally I'll even see some better quality beef for around $5-$6/lb, which ain't bad by current standards. Pork and chicken fluctuate quite a bit too. Ditto eggs -- the price of a dozen can vary from a dollar one week to $3 the next week, but that's been true for years, long before the pandemic economic crisis, and unrelated shipping crisis.

The mini-bike boom seems to have faded. I'm not seeing exorbitant prices for used bikes and components now. As anticipated, the folks who were temporarily out of work or stuck home with kids out of school in spring 2020 have already given up their brief fling with cycling, jogging, walking, etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triffin_dilemma
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 01-19-22, 11:38 AM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 433 Posts
I can't find LBDs anywhere around here. Who the H hoards LBDS?
Old 01-19-22, 12:31 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1587 Post(s)
Liked 489 Times in 347 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
If you order a product from my company, you're looking at delivery in August 2023 and counting (as compared to 90 days in normal times). Which means we won't make any money on your order until August 2023. And that is a big darned problem. It ain't toilet paper, it's infrastructure.

So, you wonder, how long can infrastructure crumble before toilet paper doesn't show up on the shelves?

Nobody actually knows.
I (help) run a fire safety company. Most fire alarm panels and power supplies are out of stock until who knows when. Dates keep getting pushed back three months. The few items that are in stock are marked up as much as 5X. We are struggling hard in that we have SO many deficient jobs/inspections and can't do a thing about it. For the most part the fire marshal are being ok with it as they are aware of the supply issues.

On the home front, our store is out of any and everything edible and marked as gluten free. There have been days at a time with no chicken (which is very surprising for our area), very little pork and beef. Our local store has been slim pickings on paper products as well. Plates, towels, TP, that sort of thing are in short supply. The store has a one per customer things going on those (again). I think above and beyond what they are out of is the inflation on what they do have. Grocery bill has more than doubled.
Old 01-19-22, 12:47 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 35 Posts
Thankfully no cat food shortage here. My furball with claws can be a picky eater sometimes. Seriously what kind of cat doesn't like fish? WTF?
Old 01-19-22, 01:01 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5343 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,286 Posts
Nothing notable here. Just went grocery shopping and filled a cart with everything on our list. No sticker shock either. Local rancher still has all the meats we order every 6wks.
Old 01-19-22, 02:18 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15324 Post(s)
Liked 9,097 Times in 4,494 Posts
I was at a Monster Pets a couple of weekends ago. It literally had no Fancy Feast wet food of any kind. A worker there told me that manufacturing plants are again having a hard tome getting cans to package the cat food. I cannot find ProPlan seafood variety packs in any store. I have had to turn to ordering them on line. Poultry variety packs in store are hit or miss.
Old 01-19-22, 03:48 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 17035 Post(s)
Liked 8,952 Times in 5,017 Posts
Parsley gets special food from the vet. Bear steals what he wants. Stray Pixie gets rabbit stew.
Old 01-19-22, 03:58 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,114 Times in 681 Posts
Yesterday, no Ritz crackers or my brand of yogurt. Went to a second store, same thing. There were many empty shelves but I was not interested enough to take inventory.

Ammo has been very short for a year or so. Tires and chains are short.

Ribeye was $28 a pound whereas I used to buy it for $14 but it was there.

I can't get Shell Rotella T6 motor oil for weeks.

Some cheeses that I buy have been hit or miss.
Old 01-19-22, 04:02 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5343 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,286 Posts
Conti 5000 and 4000s tires are fully stocked and the lowest price I've seen in months.
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 01-19-22, 04:48 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts
Recently, frozen broccoli (but not any other frozen vegetables I buy). The other day I was able to get some for the first time in at least 2-3 weeks.

I think we were talking a while back about weights-- as in, for gyms (was that here?). Still expensive. Now they're at least a dollar a pound even at discount stores, and I've seen them well more than that on Craigslist (though, of course, they might not be actually selling at that price).

Cat food for me, too. At first certain brands, not any I used. Now the two brands my cat will eat. One seems to be coming back, though not in variety, and the other, not so much. (I can order from Chewy, but have to buy a whole case-- I can't buy just a few containers of several different flavors.)
Old 01-19-22, 04:51 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,114 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
Conti 5000 and 4000s tires are fully stocked and the lowest price I've seen in months.
Where can I get GP5000 S tubeless in 25 and 28mm.....?
Old 01-19-22, 04:54 PM
indyfabz

Iím lucky to be able to shop at a public market near work (and not all that far from home) most days. No shortages of meat, fish, poultry, cheese, vegetables, herbs, etc. All of the business are local or local-ish, including the Amish and Mennonite ones.

Leeks and potatoes currently roasting. Then comes the whole bronzino.
Old 01-19-22, 08:29 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2269 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 659 Posts
Everything is short .

Yet so many blame the clerks at the store.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 01-20-22, 01:55 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by Dylansbob View Post
I've noticed those shoe shortages as well and it'll only get worse as the big companies are starting to cutoff sales to those discount chains. I predict a massive climb in athletic shoe prices in the coming years.
I'll probably regret not buying a pair of Saucony Endorophin Speed or Pro version 1 shoes when version 2 was introduced in late 2021. I'm not really fast enough to justify a carbon or any plated shoe, but the prices were reasonable on then-recently discontinued models.

One of my goals for 2021 was to run a half-marathon -- or full, if I got lucky in training -- by the end of the year. I resumed running in late 2020 and by springtime was doing 7-10 miles on weekends, 3-5 miles a few times a week. I was aiming for an 8-9 minute/mile average, which seemed okay for a 63 y/o guy who hadn't run a step since my military days in the 1970s-'80s. But, despite being fully vaxxed, I caught the Super Cooties in late September which set my training way back. No hospitalization or lung complications, but an upper respiratory inflammation that persisted for months, and constantly fatigued and achy. I kept jogging -- slowly -- and walking a lot, but I didn't begin to feel more or less normal until December, too late to catch up on lost months of training. I think I managed to work my way back to an 8-mile run in late December.

So, still an energy shortage, one might say.

If ammo is hard to find out there, come out to Tacoma, wa. Most of the city hears gunshots multiple times a day, my home security cameras have caught 3 in the last 6months. The tweakers are reloading from somewhere and it's been going like this since the start of covid.
Yup, no shortage of random gunfire, violence and road rage here in Texas. Early data shows we're on a record pace to meet or beat previous records for murders in most major cities, and highway fatalities from reckless driving and road rage.

Yee -- and I say this with all sincerity -- haw.
Old 01-20-22, 02:13 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

I've noticed a few shelves bare of some items, like Tide Pods and other brands of laundry gel flings at Kroger today. But Walgreens still had 'em in small and medium size packets, steeply discounted. I bought more than usual because I need to redo most of the bedding I washed and stored away last winter. It's clean but smells musty. Usually I don't stock up on gel flings because they liquefy after a few months, but these small packets contain only about a dozen gel pods each, about enough for a single laundromat session. So I'll use 'em up within a few weeks.

No shortage of cat food or litter here. I use Iams regular chicken flavor because my three cats seem to have compromised on that with minimal barfing. And Arm & Hammer Clump & Seal or Slide for the litter box. Best stuff I've found, especially with multiple cats. Not cheap, but practically no dust to aggravate my allergies, and a 19 lb box lasts a week with the three fur monsters. I probably spend as much on them as I do for myself on groceries.

Kroger almost always has beef or pork on sale, so I bought a couple of ribeye steaks for $7 a pound Wednesday. Not great quality, but the centers are tender enough to grill, and the other bits are fine for stew or braised dishes. Still cheaper than a burger meal at Braums or pizza takeout.

Regarding parts and components, I've noticed the local Walgreens freezer has been out of service for months. The large fridge still works but no ice cream or frozen foods for months. They say they can't get parts for that particular freezer. I suspect the grocery stores get priority if there's a parts shortage. No biggie, I never buy frozen stuff from Walgreens anyway.

For awhile last year Braums seemed to have either changed contractors or materials for packaging milk. I buy Braums A2 milk which suits my lactose intolerance, and I need the extra calcium and vitamin D after my thyroid cancer in 2018. It's as good as any whole milk, cheaper than any grocery store, and much cheaper than any lactose-free milk. But for awhile last year the half-gallon plastic containers were flimsy, distorted, and the seals leaked. So customers had to handle the messy jugs carefully. But Braums seems to have resolved that problem several weeks ago. Prices are up about 20 cents per half gallon, to around $2 a half gallon for regular whole milk, $2.20 for chocolate. Not bad compared with most grocery stores.
Old 01-20-22, 02:14 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by SkinGriz View Post
Fascinating stuff, thanks. After reading the wikipedia article I've bookmarked some YouTube video tutorials to get a better sense of the theory.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 01-20-22, 03:41 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 139 Posts
In Japan we are short on french fries. McDonalds here will only let you order one small fries with each meal, and the Tokyo Disney Resorts have stopped selling them altogether. But Costco seems to have no shortage of potatoes, I guess the fries are all precut and frozen in North America and sent by ship, while fresh potatoes are grown locally and are still easy to find. There are no car shortages in Japan, dealerships have plenty of domestic and imported cars, used car prices remain low. Inflation still seems pretty much nonexistent in Japan, prices are a bit lower than when I came here some 15 years ago.
Old 01-20-22, 08:13 AM
indyfabz

Just remembered visiting a ShopRite (large cooperative grocery chain in the NE) a couple of weekends ago and seeing that the shelves were completely bare of vegetable oil except for commercial-size containers of maybe a gallon or more. And it was an off brand. No canola oil either. Was able to scoop up a bottle of grapeseed oil, which was fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.