Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Product Shortages in your area?

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Product Shortages in your area?

Old 01-20-22, 08:35 AM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 387 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote View Post
I (help) run a fire safety company. Most fire alarm panels and power supplies are out of stock until who knows when. Dates keep getting pushed back three months. The few items that are in stock are marked up as much as 5X. We are struggling hard in that we have SO many deficient jobs/inspections and can't do a thing about it. For the most part the fire marshal are being ok with it as they are aware of the supply issues..
I haven't seen that here in Southern California. Fire alarm and fire sprinkler systems are one of the few things in construction projects that get installed on time, and repiars get done quickly, too.
Old 01-20-22, 08:41 AM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Originally Posted by GhostRider62 View Post
Yesterday, no Ritz crackers or my brand of yogurt. Went to a second store, same thing. There were many empty shelves but I was not interested enough to take inventory. Ammo has been very short for a year or so. .
Yogurt in 1 qt containers is almost non-existent (that's the way I buy it), but the 8oz cups in any-flavor-you-want are always available. Ammo is pretty much back in stock, although more expensive. Some stores sell out of popular calibers right before a weekend, so I go in mid-week and no problem picking up a few boxes if planning to go to the range.
Old 01-20-22, 08:41 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12063 Post(s)
Liked 3,693 Times in 2,540 Posts
Onion Rings.

Every other "shortage" seems to be resolved in a week or two... as if the deliveries were just slightly delayed.

But restaurants near me that normally have onion rings, are telling me "not now." Been this way since early November.

Of course there HAVE been several onion recalls since late last summer...

https://www.fda.gov/food/outbreaks-f...s-october-2021
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ng/8699595002/
https://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/orani...-21/index.html
Likes For genec:
Old 01-20-22, 08:53 AM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
I'

Regarding parts and components, I've noticed the local Walgreens freezer has been out of service for months. The large fridge still works but no ice cream or frozen foods for months. They say they can't get parts for that particular freezer. I suspect the grocery stores get priority if there's a parts shortage. No biggie, I never buy frozen stuff from Walgreens anyway.
We had a grocery store job that got delayed opening for two months because they couldn't get parts for the HVAC systems or the refrigeration systems on the coolers/freezers. They finally found parts in Mexico that they drove across the border in someone's personal car, and got other parts shipped in by quick airfreight from Asia (at a substantial premium $$$ !) to get it done.

I go into an HVAC contractor's shop that does those super cold storage units used for the COVID vaccines (and other vaccines). He's swamped with business keeping up with repairs and maintenance from local hospitals/clinics, but can't get parts. Parts are so short for those things he buys and strips parts out of old machines to keep his customers machines up-and-running.
Old 01-20-22, 08:54 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1587 Post(s)
Liked 489 Times in 347 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder View Post
I haven't seen that here in Southern California. Fire alarm and fire sprinkler systems are one of the few things in construction projects that get installed on time, and repiars get done quickly, too.
We haven't had any shortages of sprinkler materials so far. (knock on wood) I would suspect that the fire systems being put in are likely proprietary panels/companies such as Siemens, Edwards, and such. We deal in open source items like Fire Lite and Silent Knight, to a lesser degree Ademco/Honeywell. I like for us NOT to mess with the latter. I worked doing alarms for years prior to this and never came around to caring much for Ademco. The equipment is rugged and works well, but the UI sucks badly.
Old 01-20-22, 08:56 AM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
I'

Regarding parts and components, I've noticed the local Walgreens freezer has been out of service for months. The large fridge still works but no ice cream or frozen foods for months. They say they can't get parts for that particular freezer. I suspect the grocery stores get priority if there's a parts shortage. No biggie, I never buy frozen stuff from Walgreens anyway.
We had a grocery store job that got delayed opening for two months because they couldn't get parts for the HVAC systems or the refrigeration systems on the coolers/freezers. They finally found parts in Mexico that they drove across the border in someone's personal car, and got other parts shipped in by quick airfreight from Asia (at a substantial premium $$$ !) to get it done.

I go into an HVAC contractor's shop that does those super cold storage units used for the COVID vaccines (and other vaccines). He's swamped with business keeping up with repairs and maintenance from local hospitals/clinics, but can't get parts. Parts are so short for those things he buys and strips parts out of old machines to keep his customers machines up-and-running.
Old 01-20-22, 09:03 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,114 Times in 681 Posts
Friends built a house completed last Spring but only just moved in.....appliance shortages.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 01-20-22, 09:11 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 199 Posts
The grocery store I go to is not as bad as the first rounds of Covid panic buying. However, it is hit and miss on some things. Mostly I see the Gatorade and box juice areas empty. Bottom line is no one is going hungry, but you may have to modify the menu.

I haven't really needed much else and when I did I was able to get it. I'm fairly good with bike supplies.

I got sticker shock when I got an estimate for a roofing job. Probably related to shortages both material and labor.

I'm going car shopping Saturday. I don't have a whole lot of hope. Most dealers may have 2 examples of the model I'm interested in. However, I'm not in a hurry and can wait indefinitely if they are tacking on "market adjustment fees".
Old 01-20-22, 09:23 AM
GhostRider62

Roofing shock here, too. $2100 to roof my little shed that is 8 x 16. Did it myself in a morning for $400. I had to shop a bit to find the shingles but there were available about 30 minutes away.
Old 01-20-22, 09:46 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12063 Post(s)
Liked 3,693 Times in 2,540 Posts
Friends built a house completed last Spring but only just moved in.....appliance shortages.
My brother in law just finished a house this last fall... the longest delay was for garage doors... ordered well over a year ago.

Initially they were not allowed to "occupy" due to the lack of doors... they boarded up the doorways with plywood and appealed to the inspector... who relented.
Old 01-20-22, 11:23 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Our dishwasher broke last year. The installment is off standard thanks to the way the previous owners did the floor, so I don't have the height that is considered standard for them. I had basically one model to pick from and it's not a high end unit. The controls that make the heat/dry operate quit although the rest of the unit functions as desired. I paid ~$300 for this unit.
We had an applicance guy that has done other work for us come look. He walked in, got the model, went out to his truck and ONE of the two parts it needs to be fixed cost more than the washer. We went online to buy another and they are now ~$500 and/or out of stock for anything we can use due to the height problem.

Lucky for us he told us a trick for getting it to wash right even without heat which I hope will make us to the other side of this if ever there is one.
Old 01-20-22, 11:32 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2769 Post(s)
Liked 2,933 Times in 1,907 Posts
Roofing shock here, too. $2100 to roof my little shed that is 8 x 16. Did it myself in a morning for $400. I had to shop a bit to find the shingles but there were available about 30 minutes away.
Yup had the roof repaired and it was expensive due to material cost. Delayed it to see if material costs would go down but can’t have a roof that leaks it will just cause more damage.
Old 01-20-22, 12:34 PM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 433 Posts
I ordered a new espresso machine last Labor Day. I called and canceled that order last week. I figured since they couldn't get it to me in four months, fate is telling me it wasn't meant to be.
Old 01-20-22, 01:09 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5343 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,286 Posts

Lucky for us he told us a trick for getting it to wash right even without heat which I hope will make us to the other side of this if ever there is one.
8min after starting open and close the door?
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 01-20-22, 01:56 PM
skidder
Bipsycorider

We haven't had any shortages of sprinkler materials so far. (knock on wood) I would suspect that the fire systems being put in are likely proprietary panels/companies such as Siemens, Edwards, and such. We deal in open source items like Fire Lite and Silent Knight, to a lesser degree Ademco/Honeywell. I like for us NOT to mess with the latter. I worked doing alarms for years prior to this and never came around to caring much for Ademco. The equipment is rugged and works well, but the UI sucks badly.
The most common ones here in Southern California are Fire Lite, Silent Knight, and Siemens, and no problem getting any of them or devices. All are great, the Siemens ones are usually the more complex ones in larger buildings - tough to get set up, but work great after that. As for poor ones, you can't forget the Honeywell 'Notifier' panels; always having faults, always requiring servicing/repairs.
Likes For skidder:
Old 01-20-22, 01:58 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
8min after starting open and close the door?
Not sure I get the reference...

No, our hot water takes a while to come up to the spout. Run the hot water till it's scalding hot at the sink and then start washer. Go by every once in a while and run hot water to keep it hot for the cycles. Our unit washes the darned things for a couple of hours overall. Uses very little water though, guess that's a plus.
Old 01-20-22, 02:02 PM
skidder
Bipsycorider

I got sticker shock when I got quotes for a bathroom remodel (the whole thing). About 25% more than I had estimated (all four contractors were about the same price), and it would be 12 weeks (minimum!) before they got all the materials so they could start. I changed plans and now I'm getting a plumber to install a new shower pan with drain connection, and new top-end on the toilet drain pipe (cast iron and the flange is broken), other than that I'm doing the rest of the work myself.
Old 01-20-22, 02:04 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by skidder View Post
The most common ones here in Southern California are Fire Lite, Silent Knight, and Siemens, and no problem getting any of them or devices. All are great, the Siemens ones are usually the more complex ones in larger buildings - tough to get set up, but work great after that. As for poor ones, you can't forget the Honeywell 'Notifier' panels; always having faults, always requiring servicing/repairs.
Honeywell recently bought out a bunch of different companies. Just before the purchase, Fire Lite quit selling any accessories like battery harnesses, resistor packs, panel doors and so on. Surely just to increase the sales and value of the brand pre-sale. Notifier is nothing more than Fire Lites "proprietary' branding and most of the program just like the Fire Lite counterparts. Unfortunately, they don't use the same devices of which you have to be a dealer for access.
They did the same with Ademco. They acquired them and shortly thereafter dropped support on a TON of long lived and hearty equipment that is well used in the field. Vista 32fb, for instance. The good aspect is that most Ademco panels program the same. This also carries over to the "ADT" branded Ademco and Fire Lite equipment out there. The bad thing with them is they shut out the back door method for programming access and on most of their branded equipment you cannot change the central station phone #'s. Lucky for us we have things like a Telguard that don't care whom the panel is attempting to dial and once you take it off a phone line ADT can't call it an (illegally) put it to sleep like they are known to do.
Old 01-20-22, 02:34 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5343 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,286 Posts
Not sure I get the reference...

No, our hot water takes a while to come up to the spout. Run the hot water till it's scalding hot at the sink and then start washer. Go by every once in a while and run hot water to keep it hot for the cycles. Our unit washes the darned things for a couple of hours overall. Uses very little water though, guess that's a plus.
The temp sensing in my Whirlpool is broken so dishwasher will error code and shut off unless the door is opened at 8min mark (which is first drain cycle after pre-rinse).
Old 01-20-22, 04:30 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling View Post
In Japan we are short on french fries. McDonalds here will only let you order one small fries with each meal, and the Tokyo Disney Resorts have stopped selling them altogether. But Costco seems to have no shortage of potatoes, I guess the fries are all precut and frozen in North America and sent by ship, while fresh potatoes are grown locally and are still easy to find. There are no car shortages in Japan, dealerships have plenty of domestic and imported cars, used car prices remain low. Inflation still seems pretty much nonexistent in Japan, prices are a bit lower than when I came here some 15 years ago.
How about asset price inflation?
Old 01-20-22, 04:47 PM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by SkinGriz View Post
That's the fault of the magic money tree. Money created from ether. When interest rates are allowed to rise and money supply contract, look out below.
Old 01-20-22, 08:03 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 2,418 Times in 1,568 Posts
Oh, another anecdote/internet-data-point: Both neighborhood laundromats have several commercial grade washers out of order. Probably waiting for parts. Hard to tell since many laundromats nowadays are leased and the lessee/manager has little control over maintenance and, in some cases, little interest in maintaining the place. Makes it difficult to wash large items like comforters, blankets and bedding, since our apartment complex washers aren't large enough.

Still, we're better off than my parents and grandparents during WWII. I grew up hearing their stories about shortages, rations, etc., and still have a couple of ration booklets they saved.

They were a tougher generation. I remember visiting my mom's dad and great-grandmother back in the 1960s and even through the mid-1970s they still used swamp coolers rather than a/c here in Texas. When we visited my great-grandmother in Amarillo my brother and I slept in the screened-in porch, not even a fan to stir up the dust.

I suppose there were rebellions here and there over shortages and rationing in WWII, but there didn't seem to be widespread panic and hostility over being inconvenienced. Americans are good at launching into full Nuclear Karen Mode when we're slightly delayed or inconvenienced in any way regarding our pleasures.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 01-20-22, 08:47 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 139 Posts
There is asset price inflation, but it has not translated into inflation in other sectors. Japan’s asset market has “defied gravity” for a long time, but there are no illusions regarding its actual value. Some people have accused Japanese companies of “sitting on piles of cash “ as asset prices have surged. But everyone in Japan remembers the collapse of the “Bubble Economy” in 1991, and companies aren’t going to be caught with their pants down again.
Old 01-21-22, 04:48 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 263 Posts
Do you have recommendations for plans or instructions for the shed?

I have pretty much zero residential construction experience.

Thank you.
Old 01-21-22, 06:36 PM
GhostRider62

Do you have recommendations for plans or instructions for the shed?

I have pretty much zero residential construction experience.

Thank you.
Not sure I could explain how to roof, my concontractortor buddy showed me about 20 years ago when I helped him do a roof. I saved $425 for each hour of my labor. You could try youtube. If you try it, wear an anchored safety harness. I already had one from going up trees. The same guy wanted $1900 to replace 3 treads and 3 risers going up my front porch. Crazy if you ask me.
Likes For GhostRider62:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.