Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Recommend me a 34T 1x ring, 5 bolt, 110 BCD

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-20-22, 06:12 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts

I'm setting up a new (old) mountain bike 1x11 and need a single ring for the front. I'd like to use a 1x-specific ring to avoid using a chain keeper. So, I need:
- 1x specific
- 34T
- For a 5 bolt, 110 B.C.D. crank

Wolf Tooth has this one but it's $80, which seem a bit steep to me...

***OR*** recommend me a new-fangled crank that meets the following criteria:
- Fits a 1x, 34T ring
- Is compatible with a standard, 68mm English threaded bottom bracket shell
- Has a chainline in the 44-47mm range (for a 135mm rear)
- Has a not-ridiculously-wide q-factor. My old Deore square taper comes in at 160mm
- There needs to be some reason for me to bother with a new crank. Lighter (maybe?), lower q-factor (doubt it), etc.

Finally, please don't try to critique my gearing choice or argue 1x versus 2x, etc.
Old 01-20-22, 06:57 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
That $80 Wolf Tooth sounds pretty good to me considering the likely cost of any new crank+bottom bracket. For example, a Shimano GRX FC-RX600 1X crank is about $150 everywhere I see it listed and it would require an HTII bottom bracket. That's just an example since it only comes with a 40T chainring.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 01-20-22, 09:01 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 311 Posts
Haven't seen a 34t but there are some 36t rings on AliExpress
​​​​
Old 01-20-22, 09:11 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Can't imagine why a new crankset is a more viable option than the chainring that checks all of your boxes. Amortize that 80 bucks over a two-year lifespan, and it's ten cents a day.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 01-20-22, 10:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,944 Times in 2,637 Posts
Go Wolf Tooth, they make good quality parts right here in 'Murica and they are well worth it. The less drivetrain stuff you have the more sense it makes to spend a bit more on it. In the case of this it has a good tooth profile to hold onto the chain and are well made so they will last a good long time. If you are so concerned with cost Race Face makes a Narrow Wide chainring that works well, not sure what their 110bcd stuff looks like but I have a 130 bcd on a old Tiagra Hollowtech II crank and it works great as a 1x9. However I wouldn't hesitate to go Wolf Tooth if I didn't have specific budgetary rules for that particular bike as a challenge (and at the time I was simul-building two bikes so didn't want to kill the bank). I am willing to pay more for a quality product that will last a while and is hopefully made without terrible labor practices or business practices.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-21-22, 08:00 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Thanks everyone. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious. Wolf Tooth it is. I forgot or didn't know they made their stuff in the US. That's a nice bonus, and somewhat helps justify the price.
Likes For FastJake:
Old 01-21-22, 10:46 PM
TPL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
110 pattern can go as low as 33 tooth