Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Road slicks for 25mm internal width rims?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-22, 06:44 PM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 29 Posts

I have a fully-rigid hardtail running 2.5 Maxxis Ardents at the moment (photo below, if that helps). I'll be putting some Jones Loops on it to make it more of a dirt rando.

I'll be doing an Everesting later this year, and I'm thinking of picking up a set of slicks so I can use this as my backup bike if something goes wrong--or maybe just a bike to swap to for a few hours to mix things up and save my back. It's light enough, and 36t up front will be plenty, since it's climbing and coasting.

I could buy a cheap set of wheels, but if I can get away just throwing on a new set of tires on the rims (RaceFace Arc 25s), even better. Any suggestions?

Likes For cormacf:
Old 01-23-22, 06:52 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
If you're looking for efficiency, I'd go with something from Rene Herse:

https://www.renehersecycles.com/prod...ponents/tires/
Likes For tyrion:
Old 01-23-22, 09:12 PM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Thanks! The Snoqualmie Pass looks like like a nice fit.

Last edited by cormacf; 01-24-22 at 11:15 PM. Reason: God only knows what autocorrect put in there originally. :)
Old 01-23-22, 09:22 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4352 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
It's titanium with purple bits and Ergon grips, I like it : )

These are Maxxis DTH tires for like Urban Bicycle Motor-Cross but they looked real good and gave me some rubber so I can roll on it. I need to put actual MTB tires on it, get some shredding on it and post better photos. My actual modern Ti mountain bike is all about that dirt but I did more anodized red and a little pink on that bike (and more to come when I get my 29er wheels built)

Anywho a good plus one for the Rene Herse Tires, they always have gotten good reviews and I like a good supple tire personally.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-24-22, 07:19 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 438 Posts
If I might, I'd like to add a 'rider' Q to ther OP's question.
Does anyone have experience or strong opinion on how 'narrow' a tire one might consider putting on an mtb rim?

- reason I ask is, I'd like to consider a wheelset with more 'gravel-ish' type intent. But have soooo many bikes, putting another bike into the stable seems ludicrous....
my HT sees very little service - it would be fine/great for that kinda use, and with the good Fox fork, it'll be way more fun than a rigid...
Ride On
Yurti
Old 01-24-22, 07:29 PM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
I've been going down the same rabbit hole with my salsa fargo, converting the 25/30mm ID rims for audax / brevet use

So far, rene herse has been the best choice but their tyres are prohibitively expensive in Australia

The maxxis velocita 40mm are a good choice

Soma vitesse 48mm are a light supple option, but also pricey yet down under

And lastly look into the gravelking 43mm full slick. Light rolling, good puncture protection, good size..
Old 01-24-22, 10:59 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
If I might, I'd like to add a 'rider' Q to ther OP's question.
Does anyone have experience or strong opinion on how 'narrow' a tire one might consider putting on an mtb rim?
Depends on the rim. MTB have had a lot of wheel and tire sizes lately and rim widths have come along for the ride. In the old days where nearly every bike was a 26er XC hard tail, it was no problem to throw 1.5 in commuter tires on. Today you want to match rim size to wheel size within reason. From 1.5:1 to 3:1 ratio of tire to inner width, with the "good" range around 2

DT swiss guide for instance pdf link

25i rims according to them should take 1.5 to 3 in tires with 1.7 to 2.4 preferred
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 01-25-22 at 12:53 AM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 01-24-22, 11:17 PM
cormacf

That's some sweet-assed cabling. Respect.
It also reminds me that I need to get a purple seat collar.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
It's titanium with purple bits and Ergon grips, I like it : )

These are Maxxis DTH tires for like Urban Bicycle Motor-Cross but they looked real good and gave me some rubber so I can roll on it. I need to put actual MTB tires on it, get some shredding on it and post better photos. My actual modern Ti mountain bike is all about that dirt but I did more anodized red and a little pink on that bike (and more to come when I get my 29er wheels built)

Anywho a good plus one for the Rene Herse Tires, they always have gotten good reviews and I like a good supple tire personally.
Old 01-25-22, 07:05 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
hookworms
Old 01-25-22, 11:34 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4352 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
Originally Posted by cormacf
That's some sweet-assed cabling. Respect.
It also reminds me that I need to get a purple seat collar.
Thanks, Jagwire Elite Link (though I might have done the road set because it was in stock and swapped to the elite mountain cables)

Yeah a purple seat color was nice though I fear it might be a little too much with the post but then I say "it's 3DV, never too much"
Old 01-25-22, 11:58 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Schwalbe “Kojac” 2.0” 26” slicks would be cool.
Old 01-25-22, 12:08 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
fwiw - I put high volume tires on a hybrid a few years ago & the experience was new to me. I could really feel some bounce / rebound. the ride was different from the regular 32 or 35mm tires I was used to. it was OK & I enjoyed them for a cpl years but the ride experience of WTB Nanos (not slicks, I know) was more in line with what I wanted. had some big fat slicks on an old 26er MTB too small for me. that bike was actually really fast & fun on the roads
Old 01-26-22, 06:44 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Depends on the rim. MTB have had a lot of wheel and tire sizes lately and rim widths have come along for the ride. In the old days where nearly every bike was a 26er XC hard tail, it was no problem to throw 1.5 in commuter tires on. Today you want to match rim size to wheel size within reason. From 1.5:1 to 3:1 ratio of tire to inner width, with the "good" range around 2

DT swiss guide for instance pdf link

25i rims according to them should take 1.5 to 3 in tires with 1.7 to 2.4 preferred
Thanks! Great Infor!
Currently not home, and the 2 wheelsets I use for the Stumpy HT are with bike in attic...
But both have had upt to 2.4 tires on them and also, 2.0, one set is tubeless...
after some thinking, it prolly doesn't make sense to go much below 2.0 - 50/48 ish mm width. - not much to be gained on a 26 rim, and tire tread and construction will have as much or more affect on 'road' and gravelish performance.
But I will look close, once I'm back home in a week...
Ride on
Yuri