Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin announces Epix 2 and Fenix 7

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Garmin announces Epix 2 and Fenix 7

Old 01-18-22, 11:36 PM
  #1  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 22,690
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17044 Post(s)
Liked 8,956 Times in 5,019 Posts
Garmin announces Epix 2 and Fenix 7

Garmin has updated their Fenix line, and put the Venu 2 screen into one of them calling it Epix. This is an evolutionary not revolutionary upgrade for the Fenix series, all of which now get solar charging as well as mapping. Epix has shorter battery life because of the always on AMOLED screen, but still gets 30+ hours of GPS recording on a charge.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2022/01/...th-review.html

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2022/01/...th-review.html
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 01-19-22, 07:25 AM
  #2  
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels
 
sdmc530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 3,124

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 345 Posts
thanks for links...currently looking to upgrade my garmin watch!!
sdmc530 is offline  
Old 01-19-22, 12:38 PM
  #3  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 22,690
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17044 Post(s)
Liked 8,956 Times in 5,019 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
thanks for links...currently looking to upgrade my garmin watch!!
What are your thoughts on the new goodies?
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 01-19-22, 01:05 PM
  #4  
fooferdoggie 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 510 Times in 309 Posts
I like the garmin for workouts better then the apple watch. but for notifications and overall usefulness the apple watch is better. I need them combined.
fooferdoggie is offline  
Old 01-20-22, 11:42 AM
  #5  
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels
 
sdmc530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 3,124

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 345 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
What are your thoughts on the new goodies?

DC did a great job on the reviews. I really like the line up. I am digging the new Epix! I know its not really a huge issue to set up the devices on the device but in todays world there is no reason to knot be able to do this on my iphone. I am a garmin fan for certain so I a might be a bit bias. My 1030 is just awesome but yeah a smartphone configure would be welcome but I wouldn't not buy another if it wasn't either.
sdmc530 is offline  
Old 01-21-22, 12:30 PM
  #6  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 22,690
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17044 Post(s)
Liked 8,956 Times in 5,019 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
DC did a great job on the reviews. I really like the line up. I am digging the new Epix! I know its not really a huge issue to set up the devices on the device but in todays world there is no reason to knot be able to do this on my iphone. I am a garmin fan for certain so I a might be a bit bias. My 1030 is just awesome but yeah a smartphone configure would be welcome but I wouldn't not buy another if it wasn't either.
I've had a Fenix since the F3 came out, I'm surprised to read it's already been 7 years! I use mine for cycling but also hiking, skiing, swimming, and other fun. Can't imagine going back to a one purpose device.

I'm due for an upgrade and tempted by both. I'm trying to decide what's most important to me. I have several bands for my Fenix that won't fit the Epix, including a sandalwood for another life that involved going to the office. I want the better screen, especially for the resolution in the maps, I'm trying to decide if the battery hit, loss of my bands, and smaller screen are worth it to me.

Good problem to have! 🙂
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 01-22-22, 09:00 AM
  #7  
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels
 
sdmc530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 3,124

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 345 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
I've had a Fenix since the F3 came out, I'm surprised to read it's already been 7 years! I use mine for cycling but also hiking, skiing, swimming, and other fun. Can't imagine going back to a one purpose device.

I'm due for an upgrade and tempted by both. I'm trying to decide what's most important to me. I have several bands for my Fenix that won't fit the Epix, including a sandalwood for another life that involved going to the office. I want the better screen, especially for the resolution in the maps, I'm trying to decide if the battery hit, loss of my bands, and smaller screen are worth it to me.

Good problem to have! 🙂

my local Scheels is waiting for new inventory to arrive. Then I can compare them both in person in hand and decide. I am wanting to hold them before deciding to be the final factor I guess. Both I think are very solid!
sdmc530 is offline  
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 01-25-22, 01:06 PM
  #8  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 22,690
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17044 Post(s)
Liked 8,956 Times in 5,019 Posts
DCR published a detailed comparison of the F7 and E2.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2022/01/...on-review.html

This image is both watches showing the same map at the same zoom and detail levels. The E2 is able to display more information because it has more pixels.

Seattle Forrest is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.