Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Canada Road in Woodside stop signs

Notices
Northern California Northern California

Old 10-31-20, 10:28 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 178 Posts

If you ride Canada Road make sure you stop at the stop signs (or at least do the cycling version of a California stop).

The last few weeks there have been police staking out the stop signs on Canada Road with what appears to be the sole purpose of pulling over cyclists blowing through the stop signs.

The last ride I was on through that area was an out and back and the police were lurking and hidden. On my way back through the guy in front of me did almost a full stop and so did I. The guy behind us ignored what we did and blew through one of the stops and they were on him instantly.

Fair warning.

Last edited by KJ43; 11-01-20 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-01-20, 08:11 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 593 Posts
Yup. Seen them lurking there. I always do a full or at least a slow roll.
Old 11-01-20, 10:17 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,595 Times in 5,942 Posts
Even crossing the top of the T's heading South, I come to an almost complete stop. I always signal my stop and pull all the way to the right, when I do it.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 11-01-20, 09:46 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 88 Posts
All the time. Most riders are pretty good about doing it, but the greatest joy I've gotten is watching some dooshy e-bike rider blow a stop sign only to be pulled over by a cop. It brought a tear to my eye.
Likes For cthenn:
Old 11-02-20, 05:39 PM
2cam16

I was headed back northbound this morning and a moto cop pulled a U to head to his spot. I was the only biker at that time so he probably spotted me and thought I'd be easy prey. Sorry bud, I spotted you too. LOL
GPTempDownload (29) by 2cam16, on Flickr
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 11-04-20, 09:25 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 774 Times in 260 Posts
Oh the horror !!! Stopping at a stop sign to increase the odds you’ll finish your ride alive !!!! The man always trying to hold you down 🤣
Old 11-04-20, 09:59 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
Oh the horror !!! Stopping at a stop sign to increase the odds you’ll finish your ride alive !!!! The man always trying to hold you down 🤣
Point taken, but southbound, the two stop signs are across the top of "T" intersections, with bike lanes large enough to ride two up outside the fog line.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-04-20, 11:30 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
In general I always at the very least try to slow down and scope the situation and if cars are there make sure to wait my turn to go through to be polite and stay safe.

These stops though are very often completely and obviously clear of cars so it is very tempting to just go through them without being in danger as the stop is in all directions and like genejockey mentions if you are going southbound it is even more tempting as there is no conflict with cars on the road due to them being T intersections.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 11-04-20, 12:20 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by KJ43
In general I always at the very least try to slow down and scope the situation and if cars are there make sure to wait my turn to go through to be polite and stay safe.

These stops though are very often completely and obviously clear of cars so it is very tempting to just go through them without being in danger as the stop is in all directions and like genejockey mentions if you are going southbound it is even more tempting as there is no conflict with cars on the road due to them being T intersections.
BUT, I always slow to a near-stop, regardless.

Old 11-04-20, 12:52 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Originally Posted by genejockey
BUT, I always slow to a near-stop, regardless.
Same here mostly because of the location and I was heading southbound on the ride I mention in my OP.
Old 12-08-20, 02:20 PM
SClaraPokeman

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Those stop signs were installed around 1986 in a direct reaction to a six year old kid on a bicycle being killed by an inattentive or speeding driver. The city was responding to outraged residents. My problem with the signs is that from a biking perspective is that they aren't needed. Bicycling didn't cause the problem of speeding is this area and yet the signs are used to harass and ticket bikers. It gets back to the whole problem of stop signs being used for speed control--they aren't supposed to be used for this but they definitely are in the bay area.

Here in Puget Sound, WA has just instituted the "Idaho Stop" law. I can't say it's really affected the way I ride (we do have a lot of roundabouts here) but it seems to be a whole lot more commonsense that handing someone a $500 ticket for rolling the Canada road stop sign in the northbound direction.
Likes For SClaraPokeman:
Old 12-09-20, 11:03 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Speaking of Canada Road, does it seem strange to anyone else that Bicycle Sunday is cancelled since March because of COVID, but there are MORE cyclists there now than I've seen in 25 years of riding? And more families with little kids now riding on the same road as 50+ mph traffic on Sundays?

Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-09-20, 02:05 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Originally Posted by genejockey
Speaking of Canada Road, does it seem strange to anyone else that Bicycle Sunday is cancelled since March because of COVID, but there are MORE cyclists there now than I've seen in 25 years of riding? And more families with little kids now riding on the same road as 50+ mph traffic on Sundays?
Yeah...it is weird that at the point that Bicycle Sunday would be the most useful, it's been cancelled.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 12-12-20, 10:54 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
I don't stop at the T-stop going south bound on Canada road. North bound of course. I think only like 2% stop going southbound. There's a full bike lane that does not effect the car's going south bound.
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 12-13-20, 12:23 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by sean.hwy
I don't stop at the T-stop going south bound on Canada road. North bound of course. I think only like 2% stop going southbound. There's a full bike lane that does not effect the car's going south bound.
Just keep an eye peeled for the local constabulary, because they don't see it that way. They like to park up Jefferson just far enough to be hard to see from Canada.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-16-20, 06:52 PM
2cam16

They were on the prowl this morning. This female rider was stopped after the Woodside/Canada T. Then at the next T northbound another Sheriff was waiting.
Snapshot 1 (12-16-2020 2-59 PM) by 2cam16, on Flickr
Snapshot 2 (12-16-2020 2-59 PM) by 2cam16, on Flickr
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 12-16-20, 09:29 PM
sean.hwy

Dang. not messing around are they!
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 12-17-20, 09:49 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by 2cam16
They were on the prowl this morning. This female rider was stopped after the Woodside/Canada T. Then at the next T northbound another Sheriff was waiting.
Snapshot 1 (12-16-2020 2-59 PM) by 2cam16, on Flickr
Snapshot 2 (12-16-2020 2-59 PM) by 2cam16, on Flickr
Thanks for blocking the bike lane, Deputy.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-20-20, 07:58 PM
City Guy

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Hi all

I ride Canada Road frequently and always stop at those stop signs. Full stop foot down, look around and then proceed when safe.
Those stop signs on Canada Road have become quite a revenue generator for Woodside/San Mateo county!

About a year ago was on a group ride when the front group of four riders did not stop, they were stopped and the officer cited all four. If I recall correctly, the traffic fine was $265.00.
Likes For City Guy:
Old 12-21-20, 04:48 PM
2cam16

Going a little bit OT here but I need to figure this one out. For you regulars that ride in the area, if you're about to get to the Woodside/Canada T headed East on Woodside and going to make a left on Canada North, when do you start getting over from the bike lane to make it to the left turn lane? I usually use the fire station as a marker and get on the road right after it.
This morning I was doing the usual, looked back, car was a good ways away, I made my hand signals and got on the road. As I stopped at the T to make a left, the car that was behind me, an old Jetta wagon, came up beside me as he was headed still on Woodside eastbound. I heard him say "thanks man" so I acknowledged him as I thought he was thanking me for my hand signals and all. Then as I was turning I heard him say " I hope you crash and fall you effin' Fa**ot!". I was stunned for a bit. Couldn't believe what I just heard. I knew I shouldn't be wearing spandex. If I was in my car, I'd go for it but being on a bike and alone, I'll let it go. Who knows what the loser might do?
Old 12-21-20, 05:34 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by 2cam16
Going a little bit OT here but I need to figure this one out. For you regulars that ride in the area, if you're about to get to the Woodside/Canada T headed East on Woodside and going to make a left on Canada North, when do you start getting over from the bike lane to make it to the left turn lane? I usually use the fire station as a marker and get on the road right after it.
This morning I was doing the usual, looked back, car was a good ways away, I made my hand signals and got on the road. As I stopped at the T to make a left, the car that was behind me, an old Jetta wagon, came up beside me as he was headed still on Woodside eastbound. I heard him say "thanks man" so I acknowledged him as I thought he was thanking me for my hand signals and all. Then as I was turning I heard him say " I hope you crash and fall you effin' Fa**ot!". I was stunned for a bit. Couldn't believe what I just heard. I knew I shouldn't be wearing spandex. If I was in my car, I'd go for it but being on a bike and alone, I'll let it go. Who knows what the loser might do?
I usually take the lane right around the Redwood Fish, after ensuring there's no traffic coming up behind, assuming I'm understanding where you're talking about.

I've taken to giving idiots like that guy a nice friendly wave and shout "Hi!". Makes them wonder if you heard them. I saw one guy in a pickup - he was the passenger - punching the roof in frustration, because he thought I thought he was being nice.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-22-20, 09:24 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
I am fighting a ticket right now, NOT for running red light. Was hopping to have my day in court sooner rather then later, but it was scheduled next winter. o.O
Anyway, I wish more people would fight those tickets, just out of principle. Nothing more then revenue generation, while cars speed and drive like *******s.
Old 12-22-20, 12:41 PM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
I am fighting a ticket right now, NOT for running red light. Was hopping to have my day in court sooner rather then later, but it was scheduled next winter. o.O
Anyway, I wish more people would fight those tickets, just out of principle. Nothing more then revenue generation, while cars speed and drive like *******s.

Good luck. looking forward to hearing how it went.
Old 03-06-21, 11:05 AM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
One of the things I learned in Motorcycle Safety Instructor School was exaggerate your head movements. I do that and slow WAY down at stop signs so that it's obvious to any cars or pedestrians that I did in fact exercise caution and look before I proceeded.

Now that won't get you out of a ticket if the law is determined to write you one, but it may help reduce the fine if you choose to contest the full fine and points on your license in court.
Old 04-04-21, 08:02 PM
marmac

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
many anti bike folks in that area... i bike there a lot too.. was lectured strongly once about parking in the lot by the pioneer. (when it is closed). and watch yourself on kings or old la honda.
Likes For marmac:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.