Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

C&V-ers on Strava?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

C&V-ers on Strava?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-21, 03:24 PM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
C&V-ers on Strava?

Any other BF members logging miles on Strava? I'm interested in connecting with other users in the PNW to share routes, etc.

I noticed a couple BF groups on Strava, but thinking a C&V focused group could be fun...

Last edited by ctak; 03-24-21 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-24-21, 03:47 PM
ctak

Originally Posted by hazetguy
Joined!

Also interested in groups specific to Washington State - or the PNW more generally - to learn more about regional routes and follow others knowledgeable in this regard.
Likes For ctak:
Old 03-24-21, 03:55 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by ctak
Any other BF members logging miles on Strava? I'm interested in connecting with other users in the PNW to share routes, etc.

I noticed a couple BF groups on Strava, but thinking a C&V focused group could be fun...
Here ya go! https://www.strava.com/clubs/candv

No PNW specific bikeforums.net C&V group on Strava, but plenty of C&V forum members in the area. Some are riding together. I am hunkered down till I am vacc'ed up but would definitely be in for a C&V ride after that.
Likes For tricky:
Old 03-25-21, 04:50 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Out of curiousity, are you in Seattle proper or out?

I'm in Tacoma, but I don't Strava. I've thought about starting for the same reason, to find some routes.
Old 03-26-21, 08:55 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,271 Times in 1,273 Posts
I am in a Classic and Vintage Group on Strava but it is not area specific. I know there are a lot of C&V riders in your area that will probably connect.
Old 03-26-21, 09:05 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
Nice ride, 82miles, how much more would the ride be if you went north on the west side of Lake Samamish and come back west over SR 520 bridge?
Old 03-26-21, 09:52 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
I used strava a while ago, (reason I bought an iphone4 to give you an era)
deleted it with one of the terms of service revisions years ago.
I don't care if I had a KOM or best time over a popular interval.
Do see the strava slaves running stop signs still, but not as many, Darwin at work possibly.
Old 03-26-21, 01:45 PM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 321 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Do see the strava slaves running stop signs still, but not as many, Darwin at work possibly.
I don't care about KOMs or other segment times either, but I like that I can keep track of time, speed, and distance without wiring a computer to my vintage bikes.
Old 03-26-21, 02:35 PM
ctak

Cyclists in WA State who stop at stop signs are dwindling by the day
https://sdotblog.seattle.gov/2020/09...me-exceptions/

I like Strava for creating / learning about routes, tracking annual mileage (as well as per bike), following friends.. few downsides if I'm going to bring my phone along anyway
Old 03-26-21, 04:24 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by ctak
Hmmm looks like 87 total, to/from Gas Works.

Looks awesome. I am nowhere in shape to do an 80 miler, but can you link me to that? I haven't played with routes too much on Strava but I just recently got a subscription and have been meaning to try it out.
Old 03-26-21, 06:38 PM
ctak

Originally Posted by tricky
Looks awesome. I am nowhere in shape to do an 80 miler, but can you link me to that? I haven't played with routes too much on Strava but I just recently got a subscription and have been meaning to try it out.
Just attempted to send you the link via Strava. Let me know if you don't see it!
Old 03-26-21, 09:24 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 215 Posts
Just joined the C&V Strava group.
Likes For billytwosheds:
Old 03-26-21, 11:24 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
I use strava- its a simple site to store rides that are uploaded from my bike's GPS.
I look thru the segments after most solo rides out of curiosity to compare rides against other times I've ridden those segments.

Cycling Tips ran a promo last fall where you could get a year of strava and year of cycling tips for $100, which made the year of strava about $20. I like seeing who else rode segments I do on any given day I ride. Its neat to see what their routes were. Overall I ride more rural roads and gravel roads, so there typically aren't many others on each daily segment.
Old 03-27-21, 01:27 AM
Kabuki12

I see probably 75% of riders running stop signs and it stil kind of bothers me. I know it bugs most drivers and gives cyclists a bad view in the eyes of motorists. Here in Southern California it is still illegal and I almost got hit by a mountain bike coming out of a blind intersection when he ran the stop sign and crossed four lanes of traffic. I have mentioned my dislike of it and had a few heated replies . I never thought of it as motivation for a better Strava time but I guess it makes sense.
Old 03-27-21, 02:28 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
one of those riders that used to stop to the letter of the law at every stop sign/light to keep cyclists in a good light. seemed to confuse auto drivers more often than not.
been doing the idaho stop thing the last few years and fewer encounters/incidents and drivers seem to be happier...based on the facial expressions and waves through
the intersection over that time period. and yes, some strava freaks will still totally disregard safety in pursuit of whatever...same as drivers.
Old 03-27-21, 08:11 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 192 Posts
Our Mother The Mountain

I don't live near you that direction but I've always wanted to do one of these rides. They have gatherings but also post the ride links with new rides month to month. They are based out of Portland but show rides for all over the PNW.
Old 03-27-21, 07:25 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I’m in the C&V club on Strava. Not often in posting but I’m there.
Old 03-27-21, 08:00 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I see probably 75% of riders running stop signs and it stil kind of bothers me. I know it bugs most drivers and gives cyclists a bad view in the eyes of motorists. Here in Southern California it is still illegal and I almost got hit by a mountain bike coming out of a blind intersection when he ran the stop sign and crossed four lanes of traffic. I have mentioned my dislike of it and had a few heated replies . I never thought of it as motivation for a better Strava time but I guess it makes sense.
If 75% of cyclists are straight up ignoring stop signs, that's messed up.
If most are slowing to a controlled roll and can quickly be fully stopped if needed, that's entirely different. I don't think twice about that.

As for strava segments, most all the ones I see start after intersections and end before intersections for the obvious reason of safety. There are some that are miles long and pass thru intersections, but those are in the minority by far.
Old 03-28-21, 08:37 AM
Kabuki12

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
If 75% of cyclists are straight up ignoring stop signs, that's messed up.
If most are slowing to a controlled roll and can quickly be fully stopped if needed, that's entirely different. I don't think twice about that.

As for strava segments, most all the ones I see start after intersections and end before intersections for the obvious reason of safety. There are some that are miles long and pass thru intersections, but those are in the minority by far.
I would agree that at least acknowledging the stop sign is better, I prefer to stop but that is just me. What bothers me is when cyclists just ride through stop signs like they aren’t there , assuming that cars will avoid them. I think most of us don’t want to unclip or take our feet out of the traps at a stop sign and that isn’t an issue. I have seen groups of five or more riders running through a four way stop without slowing down and that is an issue. Cars are supposed to just wait and that can be annoying to the non cyclist and can cause resentment towards us who either slow to a roll or stop when we are supposed to. You are right about the segments but I think it still effects the average speed for the ride.