Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Pin slipped partway out of chain link -- safe to just push back in?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-21, 09:46 PM
JBwombat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, my wife had a new chain put on at our LBS a couple months ago. It jammed up today and when I looked at it, a pin was protruding out of one link. I pushed it back in, but I'm wondering if it's safe or should we assume if it came out once it'll happen again and we replace the chain? Thanks!
Old 06-20-21, 09:54 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Best thing to do is replace it. Or more correctly, take it back to the shop and show it to them...maybe they'll replace it.

ETA: This happened a couple of months after it was installed. No problems until then? If not then it's probably operator error on the part of your wife. Probably.

Last edited by cxwrench; 06-21-21 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-20-21, 11:10 PM
JBwombat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the advice!
Old 06-21-21, 04:06 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by JBwombat
Hi, my wife had a new chain put on at our LBS a couple months ago. It jammed up today and when I looked at it, a pin was protruding out of one link. I pushed it back in, but I'm wondering if it's safe or should we assume if it came out once it'll happen again and we replace the chain? Thanks!
I once did this. Held up for 2500km and it happened again.Pushed it in and it lasted 200km.

Replace it with a quick link or replace the chain if it's moderately worn. You don't want it to snap when sprinting.
Old 06-21-21, 07:41 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
It really depends on the chain width. If it's a 7-speed on lower chain, pushing a pin back in is probably ok. If it's 8-speed or above it's likely to cause a problem in the future. As noted, take it back to the bike shop that did the original installation.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 06-21-21, 08:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
If a shop did it, they need to see what they did.

Otherwise, yes you can push it back in. Will it stay in? I don't know. If it comes out again you can do something else. Not likely to be the end of the world, unless you are the code keeper and have to get somewhere quickly to prevent doomsday. <grin>

A quick link might be a good fix, but then you have to know how to remove the other pin.
Old 06-21-21, 09:17 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
I'd say if the pin was already coming out on it's own it probably will not stay in place if pushed back in no matter what speed your chain is. As mentioned take it to the shop first or replace the bad link with a quick link.
Old 06-21-21, 09:43 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Chain pin

Some chains utilize a "one time use" pin.
You push out a pin to size the chain, but upon rejoining the ends you a meant to use the supplied "one time Use" pin.
Shimano chains come to mind, although my most recent Shimano chains were supplied with a "one time use" quick link.

As your pin worked it's way out to the point it jammed, I'd suspect it would have stressed the one side plate it was still connected to.
I'd expect the same pin to back out again if you simply pushed it back.
Replacing the potentially damaged side plate with a correctly sized quick link might be the more convenient long term fix.

Barry

BTW - Welcome to Bike Forums!
Old 06-22-21, 10:29 AM
JBwombat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Barry and everyone else who replied above! My wife took it out for an errand requiring a couple mile ride and it worked loose again, replacing it pronto!