Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commute in rain?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commute in rain?

Old 11-04-21, 03:29 PM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts
Commute in rain?

Doesn't rain much here in Socal. Used just drive when it did. But in the last 2 downpours I just put my work clothes in plastic. Wore shorts and a sleeveless to minimize soakage. Quite exhilarating. I recommend it. Just be a little bit more vigilant I suppose.
Likes For burritos:
Old 11-04-21, 04:37 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 774 Posts
Be a LOT more vigilant. Drivers don't expect some crazy person out riding a bicycle in the rain, so they look even less for them than they normally do. If you're going to ride sleeveless, make certain your shirt is some hi-vis color. Don't forget your blinking lights (front and rear) either.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 11-04-21, 05:16 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Trying to stay dry is pointless. The inside of any jacket will get drenched in sweat and you're going to get splashed with every car going through puddles.

And make extra sure you're visible. Turn on all your lights and wear all your reflectors.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 11-04-21, 05:48 PM
sam21fire
Flying and Riding

Bikes: Trek 520

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
One of the bigger issues I dealt with when I rode in SoCal in the rain was the oil that washed toward the outside edge of roadway, and was especially slippery at intersections. It rains so infrequently that the gook didn't wash off very often. And yeah trying to stay dry was pointless because it was usually too warm to wear a jacket.
Old 11-04-21, 06:44 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
With a worn chain?!?!?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-05-21, 07:04 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
I generally didn't bike if the forecast was for rain here in MN, given the long commute. I certainly did get caught on occasion. The biggest annoyance was the condition of the bike afterward. Winter sand gets swept up in the spring, but the fine sand doesn't. The water flushes that out of the cracks and pits and makes a mess out of the bike.
Old 11-05-21, 07:18 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
It rains for a past time in England in the winter (and sometimes during other parts of the year). If I didn't ride to work in the rain, I would barely commute by bike. Work clothes in my waterproof saddlebag, rain jacket, velotoze, and bar mitts and I'm good to go. Drying station set-up at work so my cycling kit is dry for the ride home. We're coming into winter and it's dark by the time I get home, so 3 x rear lights (one solid on my saddle bag, 2 x flashing on the right seat stay, good front light, set solid), plus reflective patches on clothing, shoes, and bike (better than hi-vis).
Likes For rivers:
Old 11-05-21, 08:06 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
Agree with OP, riding in a warm rain is fun! Especially after a hot day, it's like free sweat to cool you off.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 11-05-21, 08:27 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
YES!
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 11-06-21, 06:54 AM
RonE

Bikes: 2010 Giant Rapid - Trek 820 - 1968 Schwinn Continental

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
It rains most afternoons during the summer in Central Florida and brings another danger to bicycling in the rain - lightning. Thunderstorms literally pop up anywhere in a summer afternoon as a result of the collision of winds from the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico. I am pretty good at predicating the arrival of such storms using the local radars and weather apps up to about an hour into the future. I try try to time my departures accordingly. But, my commute home is almost 1.5 hours and I often get caught in storms with lightning all around. Best to just take cover and wait such storms out.
Old 11-06-21, 12:11 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
70F and rain and 40F with rain are two different animals.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 11-07-21, 05:15 AM
Sardines

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
I used to dislike riding in the rain because of the extra maintenance of cleaning and lubing the chain etc. Once I got a Pinion/Gates system, I ride rain or shine, many times shirtless if not too cold. Of course, lights on all sides and the usual crash alerts etc.
Old 11-07-21, 06:44 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
Originally Posted by burritos
Just be a little bit more vigilant I suppose.
yes auto driver visibility suffers so I hope you have good lites front & rear w/ some side visibility
Old 11-08-21, 10:57 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
Opinions all over the place on this one. As usual. Taken on its face, the o.p. question: Commute in rain? Well, of course. Rain, sleet, gloom of night ... whatever it takes, right? Otherwise, bye bye job. Clearly the question assumes the cycling commuter has bail-out option for when it rains. Most do. We don't. So, yes, we commute my wife (blind) on a tandem in the morning before the buses start running and she takes the bus home. Rain or shine. Only 3x/wk since Covid but it was 5x/wk before The Pandemic. The bike lanes are full of wet leaves this time of year and we recently moved two miles further from her job doubling our commute. The bike lanes are non-existent for the first half of our commute and the drivers 'much' less friendly than closer to the city center but when there is no other option it's amazing what can get done. FWIW.
Old 11-08-21, 12:31 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,899 Times in 2,536 Posts
I've commuted year 'round in Boston, Ann Arbor, the Bay area, Seattle and Portland. For those first three locations, I didn't own a car or use public transportation. The last two, commuted up to 17 miles each way on bike three days a week. So, a lot of wet roads, often wet skies. And every possible combination of road surface and traction.

The vast majority of my wet commuting was done on workhorse fix gears with fenders and lock. Set up drop bar and excellent brakes front and rear. Sewups - training grade in summer, cyclocross below freezing - until 2000. Now it's 28c Paselas and winter specific non-studded clinchers.

The real secret is the fix gear. Once you learn it and become fully comfortable, they are radically easier to keep upright in marginal conditions. (It's a secret that is very easy to keep. I can get. up on rooftops and holler the advantages and nobody will hear it.) Fix gears solve two other issues also. Drive train issues from wet and grit. They are so simple it takes a lot to kill them. They run just fine, even with absolutely dry chain (lubrication-wise) and a few frozen links. (Just slide the wheel forward to get chain slack back.) Another plus: in snow and ice, that spill to the right side never kills the drive train. If the wheels turn, it will get you home.

My Boston and Ann Arbor days were also my racing days. My "B" bike was a sewupped UO-8 with the fix gear. At the end of March, hubs, HS and BB got repacked and new rims laced on. December, the cyclocross tires. First minor rim dents happened in January. Seriously funky in February. By March, thewy were irregular polygons. Great thing about sewups and Mafac Racers? Neither cared! Then that rebuild and new rims and rubber. Ahhh! Between December and March, I did almost nothing for the bike beyond oiling the chain and brakes.

Edit: I forgot - the essential piece for both me and the bike - a real front fender flap, one that comes way down. The old Blummel fenders came with them though eventually they needed replacement. I keep my eyes open for quality stiff sheet plastic. In the '90s it was mylar when the really stiff stuff was what engineer/graphic folk used. 1999 I scored full sheets of thinner architectural stuff for presentations. Doubled up with the edges taped with packing or duct tape, the flaps were stiff and folded up easily without damage when the loaded bike was wheeled carelessly off the sidewalk.

When I buy fenders, the first thing I do is install a good flap. (After removing the toy flaps on fenders like the Planet Bikes.) I buy yellow or white fenders if offered. (Why these are so hard to find in road widths is beyond me. The folk who ride county roads for miles in the low light winters are the racers.)

Last edited by 79pmooney; 11-08-21 at 12:50 PM. Reason: typos
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 11-09-21, 11:19 AM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
The real secret is the fix gear. Once you learn it and become fully comfortable, they are radically easier to keep upright in marginal conditions.
You are wrong, of course, and thankfully so, because, if in fact you were correct ... well we'd all (except you) be screwed, wouldn't we. People have been keeping multi-gear bikes upright in blizzard conditions for decades. Riding fixed because of perceived improvement in bike handling flies in the face of all that success on 'normal' drivetrains. Riding fixed because the complexity and hassle of everything else is just too much is a little too much to take seriously.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 11-10-21, 03:42 AM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
You are wrong, of course, and thankfully so, because, if in fact you were correct ... well we'd all (except you) be screwed, wouldn't we. People have been keeping multi-gear bikes upright in blizzard conditions for decades. Riding fixed because of perceived improvement in bike handling flies in the face of all that success on 'normal' drivetrains. Riding fixed because the complexity and hassle of everything else is just too much is a little too much to take seriously.
When I was a kid, I would ride my 10 speed Huffy MTN Bike to school and back home daily regardless of weather conditions. I lived 2.5 miles from school. The first 1.5 miles was down hill on an aggressive gravel road, the last mile was a relatively straight state road that was kind of busy in the morning and afternoons. I never went down while the road conditions were bad, only when the pavement was hot and I would get to much speed where the gravel and the blacktop met.
Old 11-11-21, 03:47 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Originally Posted by RonE
It rains most afternoons during the summer in Central Florida and brings another danger to bicycling in the rain - lightning. Thunderstorms literally pop up anywhere in a summer afternoon as a result of the collision of winds from the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico. I am pretty good at predicating the arrival of such storms using the local radars and weather apps up to about an hour into the future. I try try to time my departures accordingly. But, my commute home is almost 1.5 hours and I often get caught in storms with lightning all around. Best to just take cover and wait such storms out.
I commuted in Central FL for about 15 years ... but that was quite a while ago. My commutes were generally under an hour .... with your longer ride, you were much more at the mercy of the weather (and of course, you can't change when the shift ends ... )

Most of those storms blew through fast enough though. The killers were late-fall/winter rain fronts that lasted three or four days and then got pushed through by cold fronts,, so I'd get out of work after three sodden days and it would 42 degrees or something and my gear would still be damp.

Occasional light shower on an 85-degree day? Can you erven call that "weather?" It is more like a gift from nature. Try getting to work the day before a hurricane hits ....
Old 11-19-21, 11:54 AM
mikethe

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally: Big No - too slippery - risk of crashing
Old 11-20-21, 06:52 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
I generally opt for the car if it’s raining. It’s not because of the water but because of visibility to motorists and darkness. I was hit once - in the rain. The driver, while terribly sorry, said she never saw me through rain covered windows.
Old 11-28-21, 08:56 PM
GhenghisKahn
OwainGyndwr

Bikes: 90 Fisher 3x7 hardtail, 2016 Reid 1x7 commuter, 2017 Viva 46x18 fixed gear, 93 2x8 Avanti Kona

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Trying to stay dry is pointless.
Yeah, pretty much. You're gonna get wet from the inside out or outside in. It's most important to maintain vision. A ball cap under one's helmet keeps rain out of one's eyes pretty effectively. Unless it's warm weather wear wool. Merino wool is the best. It's light and will hold heat when wet. If it's cold wear a wind breaker and long sleeve merino crew neck. Rain is why I always kept a complete change of clothes at work. One of the first axioms I learned when commuting is, "Never commute in your work clothes or work in your commuting clothes." How one tailors that is specific to one's work and commuting realities. Having daylight visible lighting is a given.

Last edited by GhenghisKahn; 11-28-21 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-29-21, 09:18 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
I'm a weather weenie; when it rains, it's usually mid-50's and below, and I whip out my bus pass.
I do occasionally miss L.A.'s warm rain.
Old 11-29-21, 10:27 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,071 Posts
I'm not going to say I prefer riding in the rain, but I enjoy riding, don't own a car, and live in the PNW. All year, all weather - until the pandemic, that is.

Shirt sleeves and shorts is great, but it's usually 50F here when the rains come.
Old 11-29-21, 11:32 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by downtube42
I'm not going to say I prefer riding in the rain, but I enjoy riding, don't own a car, and live in the PNW. All year, all weather - until the pandemic, that is.

Shirt sleeves and shorts is great, but it's usually 50F here when the rains come.
Same here! Lloyd Center to Buckman commute, now (2mo.) Rose City Park to Buckman commute. Pandemic hasn't changed that. If anything, it makes taking the bus less appealing. Outbound leg in the morning is in darkness. All the leaves in the bike lanes give the headlights a workout. In fact, the alarm just went off telling me that my battery packs are charged for tomorrows ride.
Old 12-08-21, 02:50 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
I usually do ride in the rain if I'm scheduled to ride. Only heavy rain when I set out (or a forecast of heavy rain when I'm schedule to return) will keep me off the bike.

Of course, when it's 33ºF and raining and blowing hard, that's about the worst condition to ride in, possibly worse than snow.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.