Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are you a true Weight Weenie?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Are you a weight weenie
Weight doesn't matter.
17.65%
My weight doesn't matter.
1.47%
My bikes weight doesn't matter.
30.88%
I have lowered the weight of either myself or my bike so that I could enjoy cycling.
50.00%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-21, 11:11 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts

I haven't mentioned it here on the forum but it's not exactly a secret in real life that I have been working on obtaining a Rodriguez Bandito SL. I added the "SL" to the model name so that I could say it means "Stupid Light" as I fully intend to blow right past R&E's website posted "verified" weight with this build. My actual goal (edit: for the bike itself) is a UCI illegal (sub 15lb) steel framed disc all-road bike.

As I was researching & buying parts from the usual weight weenie favorites, I started noticing the real weight weenie options started having weight limits. Emails with the part manufacturers were coming back with the same response: "Yes you are at spec...You want the reinforced option. We'd be happy to build a special 1-off just for you."

"Well, carp," I though to myself realizing I was teetering right back into Clyde territory after many years happily in the safe zone. I guess the COVID-"19 (pounds)" everyone complains of & a healthy dose of complacency finally nabbed me too.

So I took the hint. I took a step, did what had to be done, buckled down, & did the right thing by removing the weight of 1 bicycle from myself so that I could in good conscience enjoy the bicycle I am building.

With the set up out of the way: How many of you here have taken weight-weenieism to such an extreme that you actually took the step to remove some weight (edit: to add bold lettering) from yourself, too?

Last edited by base2; 11-09-21 at 03:15 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 11-09-21, 11:38 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Back in the 80s I remember when the weight weenies started drilling out very component on their bikes. Things broke and they never finished the race.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 11-09-21, 12:09 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
It was an accident. I gave up caffeine in 2000 (affecting my sleep) and with it, both caffeinated coffee and sugared soda. I lost about 20 pounds in 20 months.

I’m back to drinking coffee with caffeine but never went back to soda, and the weight has stayed off. About the same as in high school which is just where I should be.

Otto
Old 11-09-21, 12:12 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
not concerned of weight, but am more attracted to personal preference regarding function, convenience, & physical size ie: bar or seat post mount... Interchangeability with other stuff & the ability to fit next to or within another item
Old 11-09-21, 12:32 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
I have lost some body weight, but it has nothing to do with cycling.
Likes For seypat:
Old 11-09-21, 12:55 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I Think I qualify as a weight weenie, having drilled out the tire levers, and ground to lighten the allen keys carried on the bike. I'm about 10 lbs over HS weight, so I only put moderate attention to that.

Your bike goal seems way out there. All-road to me connotes tires larger than 32mm- more like 40mm and up, so there goes your SL frame, and the Bandito claimed weight of 15.9 lbs is linked to photos of a bike without pedals. Cool bike and all, just sayin'.
Old 11-09-21, 01:04 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
There are a couple of members here who seem to be fixated on the weight of every component, but I can't think of a more tedious and useless pursuit. I like to ride my bikes, not weigh them, and I know good and well that a few pounds, ounces, or grams won't have any impact on my enjoyment. I'll take durability over gram-shaving any day.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-09-21, 01:19 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,945 Times in 935 Posts
I can get down to 190 lbs at 6'2" down from 205.
That would be ideal rather than spending $$$ on weight savings.
Old 11-09-21, 01:26 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I still think of myself as a commuter, so I have gladly added a little bike weight in exchange for a little comfort, safety or convenience.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 11-09-21, 01:44 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,270 Times in 7,223 Posts
I thought the issue was body weight loss:

"With the set up out of the way: How many of you here have taken weight-weenieism to such an extreme that you actually took the step to remove some weight from yourself, too?"

So why the poll options about bike weight?

Poorly focused thread/poll.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-09-21, 02:06 PM
Rolla

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I thought the issue was body weight loss.
The poll choices and the following quote made me think it was about whatever weight your inner weenie wanted to discuss:

Originally Posted by base2
My actual goal is a UCI illegal (sub 15lb) steel framed disc all-road bike.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-09-21, 03:13 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
I haven't mentioned it here on the forum but it's not exactly a secret in real life that I have been working on obtaining a Rodriguez Bandito SL. I added the "SL" to the model name so that I could say it means "Stupid Light" as I fully intend to blow right past R&E's website posted "verified" weight with this build. My actual goal is a UCI illegal (sub 15lb) steel framed disc all-road bike.

As I was researching & buying parts from the usual weight weenie favorites, I started noticing the real weight weenie options started having weight limits. Emails with the part manufacturers were coming back with the same response: "Yes you are at spec...You want the reinforced option. We'd be happy to build a special 1-off just for you."

"Well, carp," I though to myself realizing I was teetering right back into Clyde territory after many years happily in the safe zone. I guess the COVID-"19 (pounds)" everyone complains of & a healthy dose of complacency finally nabbed me too.

So I took the hint. I took a step, did what had to be done, buckled down, & did the right thing by removing the weight of 1 bicycle from myself so that I could in good conscience enjoy the bicycle I am building.

With the set up out of the way: How many of you here have taken weight-weenieism to such an extreme that you actually took the step to remove some weight from yourself, too?
I understand your question and also your frustration but no, I have medical problems but Weight Weenisium is not one of them ,,,,

Last edited by Fastfingaz; 11-09-21 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-09-21, 03:25 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Originally Posted by Rolla
The poll choices and the following quote made me think it was about whatever weight your inner weenie wanted to discuss:

Agreed.
I thought the issue was body weight loss:

"With the set up out of the way: How many of you here have taken weight-weenieism to such an extreme that you actually took the step to remove some weight from yourself, too?"

So why the poll options about bike weight?

Poorly focused thread/poll.
The poll isn't about bike weight. Bike weight is what prompted the body weight loss. It seems now that explaining my motivation & road blocks about how I came to this point was too distracting for some readers. Edited to clarify/ bold that the poll relates to remove weight from yourself after realizing removing weight from the bike alone was not the best way to succeed.

It's almost like the red text was skipped right over...
Old 11-09-21, 03:26 PM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 159 Posts
I weighed myself and my bike on a bathroom scale a while back… realized we both needed to lose a few pounds. Bike got a carbon seatpost, carbon bars, and a ti flite. I lost 2”+ off my waist. Doing better.
Likes For Flatforkcrown:
Old 11-09-21, 03:34 PM
indyfabz

The poll isn't about bike weight. Bike weight is what prompted the body weight loss. It seems now that explaining my motivation & road blocks about how I came to this point was too distracting for some readers. Edited to clarify/ bold that the poll relates to remove weight from yourself after realizing removing weight from the bike alone was not the best way to succeed.

It's almost like the red text was skipped right over...
But a couple of your poll options address bike weight. I think that caused some confusion, although I’m willing to entertain the idea that at least some people did put in enough effort to comprehend.

In any event, back in my college years I lost 90 lbs. in 9 months through diet change and cycling.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-09-21, 03:45 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Edited to clarify/ bold that the poll relates to remove weight from yourself after realizing removing weight from the bike alone was not the best way to succeed.
The benefit of healthy body weight loss is given, so much so that it doesn't warrant mentioning - we know, we all know. IMO, only trolls and idiots bring up personal weight loss as if it's a novel consideration, while simultaneously pretending that shedding personal weight and bike weight are mutually exclusive.
Old 11-09-21, 04:16 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
If I had SAG or raced I would care a lot about weight and aero.

Who cares if you bike weights less than 15 lbs if you carry 5+ lbs tools/tubes/food/water. Then another 5lbs of clothes/shoes/money.

To go from 20lb bike to 15lb bike is probably 5k (WAG).

I must admit there a few 3 to 5+ miles hills that I wanted to try and go up with only my bike/shirt/shorts/shoes ( no tools/water/tube/food/lights/helmet/etc.. )

As for myself I lost 1 to 2 inches off my waist and probably could use another 1 to 2 inches.
Old 11-09-21, 04:22 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Originally Posted by WhyFi
The benefit of healthy body weight loss is given, so much so that it doesn't warrant mentioning - we know, we all know. IMO, only trolls and idiots bring up personal weight loss as if it's a novel consideration, while simultaneously pretending that shedding personal weight and bike weight are mutually exclusive.
...& yet so few do it.

They can be & usually are regarded as mutually exclusive. Personal weight loss is so often regarded as a by-product of cycling. Not as the cause or consideration of equipment choice in any area that is not the Clyde/Athena sub.

I admit to intentionally losing weight to use "better" equipment. Maybe others have too. I though it was worth exploring.

According to the poll results, I'm not the only one to upgrade one, the other &/or both in pursuit of better enjoyment of the hobby.

There is some good stories of weight loss upthread. Plus +1 to them, indeed.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 11-09-21, 04:42 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
How many of you here have taken weight-weenieism to such an extreme that you actually took the step to remove some weight (edit: to add bold lettering) from yourself, too?
I am almost 52 years old and I've never been overweight. There is no need for me to loose any weight...
Old 11-09-21, 04:57 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
...& yet so few do it.
And you're basing this on what? Your perception?

Also, accepting something is far different from actually doing it. Accepting that body weight is a factor in no ways obligates someone to lose body weight because they bought or want a lighter thingamajig. Sometimes you just want the lighter thingamajig because it's cool, but that doesn't mean that you're dumb enough to not understand that losing body weight is an option, too.

They can be & usually are regarded as mutually exclusive.
You're either being intellectually dishonest or you don't understand what "mutually exclusive" means. Do you really believe that most people think that losing 100g from their waistline is *not* an option if they buy a new crankset that's 100g lighter than their current one?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-09-21, 05:00 PM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Yes, although between aero stuff and light stuff I'll pick the aero stuff. Riding fast on flat-ish terrain is more of my forte.

That said, currently trying to lose a couple of kilos and get under 70kg to improve my climbing. Also guilty of upgrading stuff purely to shave off a hundred or two hundred grams off the bike, wearing superlight kit and shoes and throwing extra bits out of my toolkit and trimming the excess bits with a knife. The mini pump is carbon fiber to shave off ten grams off the aluminium one... yeah, weight weenie syndrome 🙈
​​​​
Old 11-09-21, 05:14 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Any bike that weighs no more than 10% of your bodyweight has so little effect on your climbing that unless you're a professional rider that is riding at 40+ kph (25 mph English) it makes no difference at all. I'm 77 and 6'4" and can't tell the difference on hard, long climbs between a 16 lb bike and a 22 lb bike.
Old 11-09-21, 05:23 PM
Rolla

I’m willing to entertain the idea that at least some people did put in enough effort to comprehend.
Clearly I didn't, but I only have so much effort to give.
Old 11-09-21, 05:52 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Originally Posted by WhyFi
And you're basing this on what? Your perception?

Also, accepting something is far different from actually doing it. Accepting that body weight is a factor in no ways obligates someone to lose body weight because they bought or want a lighter thingamajig. Sometimes you just want the lighter thingamajig because it's cool, but that doesn't mean that you're dumb enough to not understand that losing body weight is an option, too.

You're either being intellectually dishonest or you don't understand what "mutually exclusive" means. Do you really believe that most people think that losing 100g from their waistline is *not* an option if they buy a new crankset that's 100g lighter than their current one?
I'm not saying anyone should be doing anything.

It's easy to buy a lighter part. Many people do it.
It's easy to tell someone the best gains are to lose kilo's off themselves instead. Many people on this forum have said as much.
It's hard to actually follow through on that advice.

Thus far the poll results are better than half have done either the bike or self option. The comments indicate about half of that half have done or resulted in doing both.

I suspected that few in the "general" sub other than myself have lost weight for the sole exclusive reason of not breaking their bike. You seem to forget I had a rightful place in the Clyde/Athena sub for quite some time.

The comments section is brilliant for letting people elaborate on their answer. I was/am banking on it.

To your point: Not 1 single person has ticked the "My weight doesn't matter" box. Clearly the poll takers feel personal weight does matter.

Reasons total "weight doesn't matter" could range from a big guy on a 'bent to a skinny guy on a TT bike, or any variation thereof. Both of those cases aero trumps other any/all considerations. It's a fair & valid point of view. Aero unquestionably matters more.

Reasons "bike weight doesn't matter" could be ticked by people that feel an emaciated 12 year-old on a Worksman Newsboy is going to enjoy cycling just as much as a clyde on a carbon wonder bike that needs a tether to keep the bike from floating away to the clouds. As noted in post #22 a small percentage of the total attributed to the bike may be unnoticable. The threshold for that is individual. The point being: cycling is fun & that persons ruling priority. That too is a valid point of view.

I'm seeing a lot of hand-wringing from you.
Do as I say, not as I do, maybe? Interesting. 🧐

Last edited by base2; 11-09-21 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-09-21, 05:59 PM
indyfabz

Do these panniers make my bike look big?

Likes For indyfabz:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.