Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-21, 02:42 PM
rediranch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbie questions

Let me jump right out and disclose that yes I’m a noob, and while I like (easy) trail riding, I’m riding to (1) stay in shape and (2) keep my legs strong for snowboarding and hunting.

All that said - I wiped out today, not going fast, on a soft gravel curve, and now I’m looking for a good gravel tire. Almost all my rides are on established trails that have som soft gravel spots.

Any suggestions? I’d rather spend a little more and have fewer episodes like this, vs just grabbing something off Amazon that says it’s good in gravel.

Second - my rear tire is 29x2.00. I’ve looked up tire conversion charts and don’t find anything that matches 100%.

How much can the tire differ from what came on it? Would a 29x2.1 be fine? 2.2?

Should I be looking for 700x50? Based on what I saw I should be getting a 700x47C, but don’t see that size offered.

Thanks for any and all help.
Old 11-09-21, 03:01 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Some info to start with: 700c x 50mm is EXACTLY the same as 29 x 2.0". There are 700c x 47mm tires, WTB makes one.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 11-09-21, 03:05 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Tire tread probably wasn't your issue for the fall. The issue is more that you are too noob to recognize when you are on the edge of a disaster. There are a bunch of other minor contributing factors we could argue too, but mostly you just need to recognize when you are on the edge. And know what to do when the line is crossed, because there is only a brief instant when you might recover and not meet your doom.
Old 11-09-21, 04:09 PM
rediranch

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Some info to start with: 700c x 50mm is EXACTLY the same as 29 x 2.0". There are 700c x 47mm tires, WTB makes one.
Thank you

Since I’m replacing the tire, do I need to match the 47/50, or just the 700c diameter?

Looking at WTB I’m seeing 700x40 gravel tires.

Last edited by rediranch; 11-09-21 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-09-21, 04:52 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Okay ... I am a professional troll, hired by Bike Forums to give grief to new members ... but today is my day off ...

You crashed because you overestimated how much pressure you could put on the edge of the tire before the surface shifted. Better tires would just cost more .... it's like being on ice. No shoe is going to make ice not slippery ... unless you have cleats or blades .... but even skaters fall, and people crash on the most aggressive knobbies or even studded snow-tires. there are limits of adhesion and if you pass them you will fall.

That said .... your rim can probably fit a tires from 1.5 to 2.2 inches quite well .... 37 to 55 mm or so. The only thing you have to get right is diameter ... a 700c rim is the same in diameter as a 29" inch rim (neither are 700 mm or 29" in diameter ... that would be too easy .... ) For a front tire I tend to avoid square-edge designs, but in the rear they are okay. If you ride a lot of really soft terrain wider-spaced knobs are okay, but if you ride more hard-packed trails you would be sacrificing overall grip for extreme grip in extreme circumstances.

The issue, particularly off-road, isn't the tire's rubber---a softer tire won't grip better if the road surface is doing the moving. On pavement a sticky, supple tire will help you corner faster (and will wear faster.) off road, the issue is more tire shape and knobs/tread, and tire pressure ... if your tire is hard it tends to dig in deeper, and if you corner hard on soft soil with a hard tire it will tend to scoop out the soil and dump you low-side.

Not saying that you shouldn't buy new tires. .... but there is no magic solution for going into a corner too fast ... well actually, gravity and friction are the solution ... gravity pulls you off the bike and friction eats your skin.

Anyway ... tomorrow I am back on duty and if I see you post, I will make you miserable .... but for today, you got lucky.

(Just kidding about all that .... the mods get mad if I assume people are smart enough not to take me seriously.)

The bike stuff is pretty accurate, the rest is just noise.
Old 11-11-21, 11:58 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Maelochs gives good advice. We don't know what tires you are riding now but I agree that new tires are no substitute for more riding experience in the conditions you describe.

That said, I have Schwalbe Land Cruisers on my Rock Combo and like them for the mix of dirt roads, two tracks, and pavement where I ride. But I have still had an occasional wipeout in unconsolidated gravel when I misjudge conditions or loose my line.
Old 11-11-21, 12:50 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 348 Posts
If your frame can handle the width you could probably go up to 2.5" on those rims without any problems. The frame is the limiting factor here. More experience will help with the handling no matter the tire size or tread pattern or tire pressure, etc. Lower tire pressures will spread out the contact surface and lower your ground pressure effect just like a wider tire. But you still need to gain experience. Riding is a great way to stay in shape for other activities and I applaud you for that. Good luck
Old 11-11-21, 01:14 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Don't change direction when you're riding through a slippery surface. And that includes gravel, mud, wet leaves, ice, oil, water. Take the same precaution as if you're walking through them.
Old 11-11-21, 02:52 PM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Another bit of advice - since you did title this "newbie questions:

Careful with the front brake, don't grab a handful suddenly. Doubly so when on a less than stable surface.
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 11-11-21, 08:36 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by rediranch
I’d rather spend a little more and have fewer episodes like this
You aren't going to buy your way out of crashing.

Second - my rear tire is 29x2.00.
What is the tire?

How much can the tire differ from what came on it?
Impossible to say without knowing what the bike is.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-11-21, 08:49 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
You lost me at needing strong legs for hunting lol
Likes For downhillmaster: