Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Repair Campagnolo C-Record skewer?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 11-20-21, 01:00 PM
alexihnen 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 114 Posts

I took off a front wheel the other day and the front skewer came apart. Is there anyway to fix this?

Old 11-20-21, 01:17 PM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 106 Posts
Can we get some pics with the button facing up and the bottom of the lever and cap?
Is it the retaining button threads that are gone? It kind of looks like the lever has been bent due to much force applied to it. If any of the parts are stripped and you can't find them or make them is going to be difficult to fix. You may be able to replace these with an older record lever and cap that use a c-clip, or just a full curved QR.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 11-20-21, 01:26 PM
alexihnen 

To my eye nothing appears bent or broken, but clearly somethingís not right.

Old 11-20-21, 01:30 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 1203 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 486 Posts
Can't tell if the "screw" thing is threaded, and if it threads into the end of the cam(???).
Need more photos!

If so, you can just run it in to the assembled lever/cam using finger torque after applying blue or red LocTite to cleaned threads on the screw and inside of the cam.
Don't over-apply the Loctite as it will squeeze out and freeze up the lever/cam's free movement.

No way it will come apart if threads are extant (I'd use JB-Weld if the threads are stripped).

The assembly can not come apart while riding even if the screw were to fall out, and which would be most unlikely from the looks of it.

Note that with limited photographic examination I could be wrong about the "screw's" location and function, and that perhaps some sort of retaining ring might have gone missing from inside of the housing.

Last edited by dddd; 11-20-21 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-20-21, 01:37 PM
alexihnen 

As far as I can decipher, the assembly on the right has to go inside the cap sitting to the left. But I canít figure out how to make that work. The small pin/cap canít be pushed in (it appears to hold the lever in so that it canít pull out) once itís inside the cap. If assemble outside the cap, the whole thing clearly canít be inserted.

Old 11-20-21, 01:47 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 1203 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 486 Posts
Perhaps also, the "screw" thing (or pin/cap as you've called it) might be placed on top of a spring washer inside of the cup, with the QR shaft block then installed in the cup, and with the cam then forced into the cup with the QR shaft end and/or the beveled cam thus overcoming the spring washer's tension.
The bevel on the cam, as well as the groove in the cam, supports the theory that the "screw" thing actually serves as a retaining peg that snaps into the cam groove by spring-washer tension upon assembly, as the cam is forced in to the assembled QR shaft block and cup.

I'm thinking this is more likely than the threaded-screw hypothesis, especially as I notice that the cam actually looks not to be drilled/tapped for any screw.

Edited to respond to your last post!

Did you not find a spring-washer anywhere (might have to fashion one)?

Last edited by dddd; 11-20-21 at 06:22 PM.
Likes For dddd:
Old 11-20-21, 01:59 PM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 114 Posts
Can you disassemble the rear QR to compare them or might that be too risky- might have 2 that won't work?
Old 11-20-21, 02:19 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 154 Posts
I think @dddd is on to something with mention of a spring. I've seen breakdowns of lower level Campy skewers from the C-Record era and they have a spring in the QR lever body. Also, Campy Record 8 speed hub skewers have a spring in there. It looks like a regular skewer spring,

See: https://velobase.com/CatalogScans/Ca...sCatalogue.pdf
& https://www.campagnolo.com/media/fil...994_part_C.pdf

Last edited by gearbasher; 11-20-21 at 02:28 PM.
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 11-20-21, 02:29 PM
jforb427
Twin

Bikes: Centurion Super Lemans

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
The drawings that show a spring, don't have the button, and don't have a groove in the middle of the cam (which the button fits into?)
Old 11-20-21, 02:32 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 1,247 Times in 939 Posts
Corsa Record, all for the sake of Styling they run off and get all fancy.
The reduced diameter of the lever eccentric has a groove no doubt to help retain the lever.
That part appears as if it might be slightly bent from overtightening by someone in the past.
The "pin disc", for lack of a better term- does the pin end look intact?
my hunch there is a small piece missing and or broken.

My assumption this fell apart on you and might have been kept together with the eccentric clamping force prior.
I would based upon the parts expect a ball bearing or pin to be spring loaded to engage the lever groove and keep it all together.
Jiggety poketity assembly. The post Tullio industrial designers run amok.
Old 11-20-21, 03:05 PM
alexihnen 

Originally Posted by gearbasher View Post
I think @dddd is on to something with mention of a spring. I've seen breakdowns of lower level Campy skewers from the C-Record era and they have a spring in the QR lever body. Also, Campy Record 8 speed hub skewers have a spring in there. It looks like a regular skewer spring,

See: https://velobase.com/CatalogScans/Ca...sCatalogue.pdf
& https://www.campagnolo.com/media/fil...994_part_C.pdf
I think this makes sense. Of course the spring is slightly different, smaller?, than the standard QR springs. If I have it I may find it swimming in the parts drawer with the other springs.

Old 11-20-21, 07:05 PM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
Perhaps also, the "screw" thing (or pin/cap as you've called it) might be placed on top of a spring washer inside of the cup, with the QR shaft block then installed in the cup, and with the cam then forced into the cup with the QR shaft end and/or the beveled cam thus overcoming the spring washer's tension.
The bevel on the cam, as well as the groove in the cam, supports the theory that the "screw" thing actually serves as a retaining peg that snaps into the cam groove by spring-washer tension upon assembly, as the cam is forced in to the assembled QR shaft block and cup.

I'm thinking this is more likely than the threaded-screw hypothesis, especially as I notice that the cam actually looks not to be drilled/tapped for any screw.

Edited to respond to your last post!

Did you not find a spring-washer anywhere (might have to fashion one)?
@dddd, I believe you are correct. To that i would add that these were designed to be assembled once and, after that, would not be able to be disassembled since there is no way to get in there and push the retaining pin back out of the groove. The Campy catalog lists it as an assembly and does not show the individual parts. I have some C-Record skewers here and see no way to disassemble them, unlike other skewers where the cam is held in place with nuts or snap rings.
1995 DeBernardi Thron Super Record

Old 11-20-21, 07:25 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Moto Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 and '76 Colnagos Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, '87 Panasonic DX5000

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 189 Posts
Thanks for ths pics. I have long wondered how those C-record skewers went together, that whether they were disassemblable.
Old 11-20-21, 10:24 PM
SurferRosa
SeŮor Member

Bikes: Old school lightweights

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 2,908 Times in 1,585 Posts
There's gotta be a way!

Wish you could see if there's a spring behind the pin of the other, working skewer without complete disassembly.