Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Would you trust an unsolisited job recruitment email?

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 12-10-21, 06:44 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 120 Posts

Ever since I've registered with Indeed to view job postings, I've received unsolicited recruitment emails from recruiters who claim to be interested in possibly employing me. Some of the solicitations are clearly irrational, but some are reasonable and claim to be from legitimate companies. I've always ignored these emails assuming they are faked to phish for information or possibly worse. Should I continue to ignore these?

I just read this article which gave me something to consider: Why recruiters are bad for your career

Last edited by mtnbud; 12-10-21 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-10-21, 08:02 PM
ahsposo 
Loaded Little Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 5689 Post(s)
Liked 3,606 Times in 2,096 Posts
Are they sending these offers to your work email? I wouldn't respond.

Are they sending them to your personal email? Have you ever uploaded a resume or CV to a job market platform.

To me it's all where it come from and what they say; A email that clearly is tailored to me and my experience would get my attention for sure; I get email for junk jobs all the time because I posted once on some job market platform. I ignore them.

Most of my jobs, though not all, I learned about and was encouraged to pursue from a work colleague or personal friend.
Likes For ahsposo:
Old 12-10-21, 08:14 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 163 Posts
I wouldn't, no. Even if the company was legitimate, unless I was some kind of rockstar in my field that companies trolling resumes would see mine and say "we must have this one," I'd roll my eyes at their idea that out of all the resumes on the site, they wanted me. I just give the miss to impersonal fishing expeditions where apparently anyone and everyone will do.

Besides, just because I get an email from some company I've done business with in the past, doesn't mean the email isn't from someone who hacked their customer list.
Old 12-10-21, 08:19 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 17051 Post(s)
Liked 8,959 Times in 5,022 Posts
The fact that it's unsolicited from a recruiter isn't surprising, and shouldn't automatically disqualify it. If you're possibly in the market and get something interesting that's a good match it's worth checking out.

(This is dev specific advice.)
Old 12-10-21, 08:29 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3314 Post(s)
Liked 1,544 Times in 844 Posts
Even if they're not scams, untargeted emails from job recruiters aren't worth looking at... and some of them ARE scams.

But I've had a few that found me on LinkedIn or GlassDoor and they tailored a personal email to my private address and gave me enough information to know they at least did some reading and determined I could be a consideration. Some of them are head hunters and some of them are captive corporate recruiters for specific companies. Those are worth paying attention to.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 12-10-21, 11:10 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Thanks all. I bypassed the recruiter and found the job listings they had available that I am qualified to perform. I wasn't interested in any of their advertised openings, but on a lark I emailed the recruiter back and told them what I would be interested in doing.

I don't suspect I'll get a reply back.
Likes For mtnbud:
Old 12-10-21, 11:56 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2778 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,916 Posts
I took a job transporting illegally harvest organs in a cooler that was listed on Indeed. Don’t judge it paid the bills.
Old 12-11-21, 09:06 AM
mtnbud

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
I took a job transporting illegally harvest organs in a cooler that was listed on Indeed. Donít judge it paid the bills.
Reminds me about a movie:

Last edited by mtnbud; 12-11-21 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-11-21, 09:14 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1618 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 353 Posts
At one point I signed up for Monster and other similar job (search) sites and a bit more recently than that, Linked In. I used a specific unmonitored email for it and for YEARS would get offers from various recruiters. Most of them were not "directly" related to the site I had registered with (w/e) but it was without doubt that they utilized information from there as the target of said. In particular, Linked In was and has been the one that seemed to keep going the longest. Even in spite of a complete lack of activity on the site.
Given how these have slowed down within the last couple of years I would suspect that some of them probably aren't in operation any longer and others may have auto-deleted or made inactive any profiles I had there. Most of them I have no idea what and how I registered to any longer.

I did get one decent work gig from one of them. I went and looked up the head hunters independently and found the same listing.
Old 12-11-21, 09:29 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 683 Posts
I would not trust it.

In a previous world, they used to call. My first and often last question was whether the search was retained. If so, I'd listen. If not? Bye
Old 12-11-21, 10:10 AM
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed

Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 465 Posts
I get these frequently. I think they cast a very, very wide net. For example, I am often sought out for work utilizing a certain database system. I have zero experience with it, but its name appears in my resume as part of my mailing address.
Old 12-11-21, 10:19 AM
ahsposo 
Loaded Little Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 5689 Post(s)
Liked 3,606 Times in 2,096 Posts
Stupidly Brave
Row 6 Column G Excel Way
South Central, PA
Likes For ahsposo:
Old 12-11-21, 10:23 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3314 Post(s)
Liked 1,544 Times in 844 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Stupidly Brave
Row 6 Column G Excel Way
South Central, PA
I think that should be Access Way since he said Database, and JAVA PA.
Old 12-12-21, 08:01 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 2,418 Times in 1,568 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
I took a job transporting illegally harvest organs in a cooler that was listed on Indeed. Donít judge it paid the bills.
I saw that X-Files episode. It didn't end well for the humans.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 12-12-21, 09:28 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2778 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,916 Posts
After watching Turistas a movie about American young people touring Brazil getting kidnapped and having their organs harvest. It was filmed in Brazil I forgot where the story was suppose to take place. I think I will stay home lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turistas
Old 12-12-21, 09:35 PM
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed

Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 465 Posts
Last time I was in Brasil, I paid the bill for my host of the evening and myself. 45 beers between the two of us. And he drove me back to my compound in the very same VW bug his father owned and took him home from the hospital as an infant. It ran great.
Likes For StupidlyBrave:
Old 12-13-21, 01:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2804 Post(s)
Liked 1,963 Times in 1,302 Posts
When the son of the deposed king of Nigeria emails you offering you a job you take it, that is royal lineage no matter how much money he needs to get started you send it. It is not like he just offers it to anyone, That is a sign when foreign royalty want you.
Old 12-13-21, 02:19 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15340 Post(s)
Liked 9,119 Times in 4,503 Posts
Have you not seen the TV ad for Indeed where the member mentions being invited by companies to apply for positions? Appears that is one of the features of the service.
Old 12-13-21, 02:23 PM
mtnbud

Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
When the son of the deposed king of Nigeria emails you offering you a job you take it, that is royal lineage no matter how much money he needs to get started you send it. It is not like he just offers it to anyone, That is a sign when foreign royalty want you.
The king wanted me to convince people to extend their auto warranty. An added benefit included achieving total consciousness at retirement. Which is nice...
Likes For mtnbud:
Old 12-13-21, 03:02 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12083 Post(s)
Liked 3,706 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbud View Post
The king wanted me to convince people to extend their auto warranty. An added benefit included achieving total consciousness at retirement. Which is nice...
gungaganunga

Likes For genec:
Old 12-13-21, 03:22 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 17051 Post(s)
Liked 8,959 Times in 5,022 Posts
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 12-13-21, 05:00 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
Sometimes you gotta spend money to make money! If this guy's gonna make you rich, how can you say no?

Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Have you not seen the TV ad for Indeed where the member mentions being invited by companies to apply for positions? Appears that is one of the features of the service.
Makes sense, but I think it's going to depend on who you are. Like I said, if you're a rockstar at what you do, then it makes sense that someone might find your resume and reach out to you individually. If what you do is a dime a dozen, you should be probably be wary if some company says they want you personally-- at best, they probably say that to all the girls.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
I guess I can no longer say, "These spam texts are killing me!!"
Likes For Kat12:
Old 12-14-21, 10:27 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2,053 Times in 1,495 Posts
Ever since I've registered with Indeed to view job postings, I've received unsolicited recruitment emails from recruiters who claim to be interested in possibly employing me.
And you don't see a connection there? You don't get to just register and see those postings 'for free'. If you can't figure out how the company makes money with its product, you are the product. Indeed makes money from recruiters who pay for access to people who are looking for jobs. You are what Indeed is selling.

I joined LinkedIn (aka Facebook, but for work), and get recruiter messages all the time. A few of them have been relevant, and one of them even tempting, except I'm not in a life position to consider relocation. For the relevant ones, I respond with a couple polite sentences that thanks for the interest, but I'm not willing to relocate. Who knows, maybe someday they'll find me the perfect Job Offer I can't refuse?
Old 12-14-21, 10:41 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12083 Post(s)
Liked 3,706 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
And you don't see a connection there? You don't get to just register and see those postings 'for free'. If you can't figure out how the company makes money with its product, you are the product. Indeed makes money from recruiters who pay for access to people who are looking for jobs. You are what Indeed is selling.

I joined LinkedIn (aka Facebook, but for work), and get recruiter messages all the time. A few of them have been relevant, and one of them even tempting, except I'm not in a life position to consider relocation. For the relevant ones, I respond with a couple polite sentences that thanks for the interest, but I'm not willing to relocate. Who knows, maybe someday they'll find me the perfect Job Offer I can't refuse?
Funny thing about Linkedin... while the recruiters can be a bit of a PITA, I have found that connections to past co-workers can give you great leads/contacts to new positions. For that reason alone it is worth the occasional unsolicited recruiter ping.