Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Fancy commuter + more: Alternatives to Rose Backroad Randonneur?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-21, 01:19 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

Hey everyone,
some time ago, I posted about doing a long-distance commute with a fancy road bike. The conclusion was that an e-assist is the reasonable solution, but a fancy road bike would be the solution I'd really love to be reasonable. Either way, time has changed, that long-distance commute won't happen due to unexpected changes in jobs. I'm now looking at 2x7km flat, so that's easy.
For a multitude of reasons, I think I can justify for springing for fancy, just because I would like to enjoy riding a fancy bicycle of my dreams each day. I think I found it, but wanted to ask if anyone knows a (better/better value) alternative to the chosen one.

This is what I am looking for:
I want this fancy commuter bicycle to be a commuter first, second uses are road cycling (up to club group riding level) or light-weight touring. Dropbar is a must, endurance road bike position preferred. I want this to be a bicycle I enjoy pushing hard and fast on, not to smell the roses, primarily. I want it to feel fast and fun. Musts:
  • Light-weight, road bike like
  • Takes tires up to 35mm with fenders at least (to accommodate 35mm studded tires)
  • Aggressive steering, but less aggressive than with a road bike is probably preferable, as this bicycle might see the occasional snow & ice commute and I need decent handling for that.
  • Takes full-coverage fenders in some way
  • Hydraulic disc brakes
  • Solid axles
  • Tubeless setup ready, preferably not hookless
  • Ability to mount a light rear rack
  • Hub dynamo, preferably not added later to save cost
  • Sealed cartridge wheel bearings (I'm tired of repacking my cup & cone ones regularly)
  • High-quality groupset (Tiagra level or higher)
  • Open to electronic shifting, if the price is okay.
  • A certain level of frame protection/ruggedness is probably not a bad idea, but I won't be riding on roads with extremely poor conditions. Lots of good paved trails
  • I already have that 12-15kg semi-upright commuter bike. My road bike is 10kg with accessories and reasonably aerodynamic riding position. That's more where I want to be. I might skip the aerobars that I use on my road bike.
  • Security (locking up outside) is not a concern for this one (and I have thought it through).
Nice to have:
  • Extra mounting points for bikepacking style touring (Fork, top tube, 3rd bottle cage).
  • Electronic shifting (if not too expensive)
  • Comes set up with good tubeless road tires already

Have been looking around. The Rose Backroad Randonneur seems to be the perfect fit for that once it becomes available again. Wheels look a tad heavy (2.1kg), but pretty decent. Tires are not tubeless, but the rims are tubeless ready.
Seems like this price is hard to beat. I won't be able to test ride before purchase :/ Does anyone else have any suggestions about alternative models that fit what I'm looking for? Came across the Fuji Jari 1.1 Carbon that looks interesting, too. But upgrading it with fenders, rack, hub dynamo and lights will probably make it pretty pricey. The Specialized Diverge is very expensive now and seems to be a bit far into the off-road category for what I'm looking for. The Canyon Grizl seems somewhat interesting, but would need plenty of extra parts and conversion to fulfill the requirements.

Thanks for any inputs!
alias5000

P.S.: Yes, I know that this bicycle would be an unreasonable expense and partially duplicate other bikes I have. But it's something that I've been dreaming of for a long while that would add joy, and at this point in my life, I can afford it once.