Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Worst rules in pro sports

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 12-12-21, 04:15 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked 1,160 Times in 607 Posts

I found a new worst today in the NFL. Baltimore kicked off and the ball settled down all on its own at about the two yard line, about 3 feet from the sideline. It looked like a perfect kick. The Cleveland special teams guy came over to down the ball, stuck his feet out of bounds and then fell on the ball (which was in bounds, not moving!). I thought this was going to be a penalty on the Browns for claiming possession after stepping out of bounds, 1/2 the distance to the goal, but not so much.

They ruled that since the receiving team was out of bounds when they downed the ball, the ball was therefore out of bounds! Kicking off out of bounds put the ball all the way back to the forty (even though punting out of bounds is just a round of high fives for a job well done!).

Who writes these rules?!?

Old 12-12-21, 05:30 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2769 Post(s)
Liked 2,933 Times in 1,907 Posts
Over zealous calls for targeting.
Old 12-12-21, 07:44 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 180 Posts
I have this theory that every sport needs a rule just to allow for argumentation. Although this has been reduced thanks to cameras etc. For example Soccer has offsides. Few fans know the actual rule but everyone can yell about it. Did you see the finish of the F1 race today? Lots of chance for argument there, like for years to come. Pouring rain just now in my home town, but I got out for a short ride around noon without much damage. Whoo hoo.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 12-12-21, 07:56 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 2,418 Times in 1,568 Posts
My vote for worst rule in sports is the standing eight count in boxing. It's well meaning and wrongheaded. It enables fighters to recover just enough to absorb more punishment and potential brain damage, but not always enough time to show they're fully recovered.

I prefer the pre-standing eight count era. If a boxer was knocked down he knew he had up to a count of nine to start to rise. If he's alert and coordinated enough to do that, he's probably recovered enough to continue. A savvy referee will watch carefully and stop the fight if the boxer isn't safely recovered.

I'm not a fan of the three-knockdown automatic stoppage rule either. Sometimes refs call it a knockdown when a fighter slips, trips or is shoved down by an opponent. Or a really savvy, experienced fighter might voluntarily take a knee to recover from a body blow or being stunned, then rise and continue safely. Counting those situations as knockdowns toward an arbitrary three-knockdown limit per round deprives boxers of opportunities to recover and continue.

A related pet peeve is referees who give a fighter a standing eight count, then takes another two seconds to wipe the gloves, another two or three seconds to tell the fighter to walk forward while the referee evaluates his balance, then another second or two to separate the boxers when the opponent rushes in to finish off the boxer who was knocked down. Effectively, some referees give fighters up to a 20-count instead of an 8 or 10 count. It robs the opponent the opportunity to finish the stoppage.

I believe these practices, among others, contribute to chronic traumatic encephalopathy. Other questionable practices include padded gloves that protect the hands so effectively that boxers can deliver punches that would not be possible with older style gloves or bare knuckle matches. For example, those brutal uppercuts to the jaw would be rare without modern padded gloves. With older style minimalist gloves and bare knuckles, the puncher's hands would be injured.

Another problem is referees who don't permit any form of clinching, grappling or even non-holding use of forearms, etc. While some boxing fans prefer artless, brutal, rock 'em sock 'em robot punchouts, they're missing out of the art of defense that old school boxers mastered. To me it's no different from the jiu-jitsu practitioners who've mastered grappling as part of the overall MMA game. While some inexperienced fans criticize boxers like Floyd Mayweather Jr, Andre Ward, Bernard Hopkins or Muhammad Ali for clinching and holding, those boxers were far more active punchers than the old school masters like Joe Gans and Jack Johnson. Prohibiting non-punching tactics turns boxing into either Olympic style fist-fencing, or artless slugfests.

Granted, this introduces an element of gaming to the sport. But if the boxer isn't savvy enough or oriented enough to use these tactics, the fight should be stopped.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 12-12-21, 09:19 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Quoted: 2769 Post(s)
Liked 2,933 Times in 1,907 Posts
Just watched the Grey Cup the Canadian championship in football and I notice they allow more trash talking and aggression after a play within reason. Where in the NFL it would surely draw a penalty. Anyways Winnipeg 33 Hamilton 25 in OT. It was a great game.
Old 12-13-21, 02:59 AM
ooga-booga
lead on, macduff!

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 1,113 Posts
the buster posey rule...taking away the play at the plate.
Likes For ooga-booga:
Old 12-13-21, 05:33 AM
rwh 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
The Tommy Bolt rule, two stroke penalty for throwing golf clubs in anger
Old 12-13-21, 07:09 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Fondriest Squadra Corse; Trek Y11

Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked 402 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider View Post
I have this theory that every sport needs a rule just to allow for argumentation. Although this has been reduced thanks to cameras etc. For example Soccer has offsides. Few fans know the actual rule but everyone can yell about it. Did you see the finish of the F1 race today? Lots of chance for argument there, like for years to come. Pouring rain just now in my home town, but I got out for a short ride around noon without much damage. Whoo hoo.
Do you mean a protest process? I'd agree that every sport should have a procedure to allow for protest of the interpretation of any rule.

About that F1 race: the regulation covering the race director to be able to effectively do whatever they want, is a stupid rule as it makes a mockery of all the other rules, and this final race where the race director changed his mind to create a final lap race - which was unfair as it disadvantaged one driver / favoured one driver over the other - is the perfect example of how it all goes wrong. The concept of "discretion", selectiving ignoring one or more rules, should not exist.
Old 12-13-21, 08:42 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15326 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 4,494 Posts
No hands in soccer.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-13-21, 08:45 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR gravel Viscount Aerospace Pro Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2721 Post(s)
Liked 4,238 Times in 2,541 Posts
Ending soccer matches with PK's.

Ending hockey games with Penalty Shots.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 12-13-21, 09:08 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 19 Posts
Offsides in soccer and hockey. At least suspend it for the last ten minutes of the match.
Old 12-13-21, 12:01 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill View Post
Ending soccer matches with PK's.
Sometimes you got to have a result. One side needs ti be the winner. Soccer allows for ties all through the season but when it comes to the championship it can’t be a tie. In that case penalty kicks are fine with me.
Old 12-13-21, 12:11 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 376 Posts
Style points in ski jumping. If you can make your skiis fly further than the other competitors and land on your feet, then you win - who cares if you flap your arms or land with one foot slightly ahead of the other or whatever... all that matters is how far can you GD jump???!
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 12-13-21, 12:17 PM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 433 Posts
No beer sales at NFL night games.

j/k That's a good one.
Old 12-13-21, 12:24 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 260 Posts
No gambling allowed in the Las Vegas Raiders stadium.
Old 12-13-21, 12:34 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Breezer Radar

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1985 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 715 Posts
Penalizing headshots in dodgeball.
Old 12-13-21, 12:40 PM
skijor
on by

Two men enter, one man leaves.
Likes For skijor:
Old 12-13-21, 01:02 PM
indyfabz

Curling.
Old 12-13-21, 01:04 PM
skijor
on by

Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Curling.
What about it?
The tiny brooms?
Old 12-13-21, 01:12 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by skijor View Post
What about it?
Everything.
Old 12-13-21, 02:16 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked 1,160 Times in 607 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson View Post
Style points in ski jumping. If you can make your skiis fly further than the other competitors and land on your feet, then you win - who cares if you flap your arms or land with one foot slightly ahead of the other or whatever... all that matters is how far can you GD jump???!
That's a big can o' worms, there. For the Olympics, I don't think there should be events where the points are subjective. It should be about scoring the most points, getting the longest distance, fastest time or the highest jump and such. The judge should tell you if you crossed the line or violated a rule, but not that you did it 'prettier' than the other competitors.

p.s. I actually like curling
Old 12-13-21, 02:24 PM
Wildwood
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 261 Post(s)
Quoted: 3151 Post(s)
Liked 2,664 Times in 1,356 Posts
Caught cheating in the winning of the World Series - but no team penalties.
Why is Altuve even allowed to play?

Personally, I think of all the professional American athletic teams as Entertainment, not Sport. There is no sporting aspect when the rules violations go unpunished, or individuals are shielded by their union.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 12-13-21, 05:16 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Schwinn Paramounts, Patelli Professional, Othon Ochsner, Masi, Faggin

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 541 Posts
Originally Posted by rwh View Post
The Tommy Bolt rule, two stroke penalty for throwing golf clubs in anger
I was on staff with Tommy at Razor golf when he was a spokesperson for the brand. His comments to me on the subject was that: If they are going to make a rule against me, then I will be the first one to break it! So on the first tee at the next tournament he threw his driver down the fairway and got the penalty. He said after that he was careful to throw it down the fairway so he could pick it up on the way to the green. He was a lot of fun to be around and work with. Smiles, MH
Old 12-13-21, 06:58 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
No hands in soccer.
Ha! Indeed. If soccer was played on ice using skates, it would speed the play considerably. Enclose the pitch with boards so the ball wasn't always going off the field. Then, replace the ball with a small hard object to be hit with sticks. Result: a sport that is watchable.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 12-13-21, 07:05 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer View Post
Ha! Indeed. If soccer was played on ice using skates, it would speed the play considerably. Enclose the pitch with boards so the ball wasn't always going off the field. Then, replace the ball with a small hard object to be hit with sticks. Result: a sport that is watchable.
Isn’t that curling?

Seriously…It’s not watchable if you live in Philly. The Flyers suck. At least they have the best hockey mascot. “Hit of meth, anyone?”

Last edited by indyfabz; 12-13-21 at 07:09 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.