Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Jackery battery pack?

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Jackery battery pack?

Old 12-21-21, 09:38 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2796 Post(s)
Liked 2,972 Times in 1,931 Posts
Jackery battery pack?

I was thinking about purchasing a Jackery battery pack for outside stuff like camping, fishing and exploring remote places. Any of you own one? Or something similar? Opinions needed before a throw some cash out the window.

https://www.jackery.com
Old 12-21-21, 09:50 AM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 433 Posts
Sounds Australian, mate. Something for the outback while playing your didgeridoo?

Looks like a tidy package for the technically-challenged. <looks in mirror>

How big are you looking?
And how would you transport it to said remote places? They don't appear to be bike or backpacker friendly.
Likes For skijor:
Old 12-21-21, 09:53 AM
ahsposo 
Loaded Little Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 5708 Post(s)
Liked 3,634 Times in 2,115 Posts
I've got a little tiny one (not Jackery brand) that I mainly use for jumping car starts but it has USB and 110v outlets too. I've considered something like that Jackery line-up to augment my generator during extended power outages but Mother Nature has spared us for several years now so it went on the back burner

If I ever lost my mind and took my wife camping again something like that might be the place she needs for her hair dryer to plug in.
Likes For ahsposo:
Old 12-21-21, 10:31 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

I would use it at campsites like in national forests and the beach fishing. Within car distance so not for a biking trip. Keeping my gps charged for hiking out of a main camp by the car for example. Radio or small fan while kicking back in the tent or listening to music, air compressor power for air mattresses stuff like that. Looking at the 240 or 500 I think the entry level 240 would be plenty and the price is good. Basically I car camp then day hike or bike ride from that location.
Old 12-21-21, 01:53 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12107 Post(s)
Liked 3,729 Times in 2,571 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
I would use it at campsites like in national forests and the beach fishing. Within car distance so not for a biking trip. Keeping my gps charged for hiking out of a main camp by the car for example. Radio or small fan while kicking back in the tent or listening to music, air compressor power for air mattresses stuff like that. Looking at the 240 or 500 I think the entry level 240 would be plenty and the price is good. Basically I car camp then day hike or bike ride from that location.
Is the car not good enough to keep your USB based toys charged?

GPS I can understand... but beyond that... do you not seek to "disconnect" when you go camping? Bring a harmonica.
Old 12-21-21, 02:09 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Have to start the engine to charge so a battery pack would be great. Anyhow I ordered the Jackery 240 and the solar panel thru Amazon. A fan at night in the summer will be great and keeping all the gizmos charged will be good. Good to have out on the boat as well. If we have another blizzard this winter and the power grid shuts down lol it will be a source of power.
Old 12-21-21, 03:30 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12107 Post(s)
Liked 3,729 Times in 2,571 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Have to start the engine to charge so a battery pack would be great. Anyhow I ordered the Jackery 240 and the solar panel thru Amazon. A fan at night in the summer will be great and keeping all the gizmos charged will be good. Good to have out on the boat as well. If we have another blizzard this winter and the power grid shuts down lol it will be a source of power.
Ahhhhh solar panel... oh, well, that's different.
Old 12-22-21, 10:00 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

I watched several You Tube videos one where this guy tried to overload it and had several stuff plugged in even a tv. So plenty of power for I what I want it for. The solar panel was highly recommended so I ordered one. It has a universal Anderson connector so I can use the solar panel on other stuff like for a rv battery.

Last edited by Hondo Gravel; 12-22-21 at 10:02 AM. Reason: a universal sounds better than an universal
Old 12-22-21, 10:17 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 3497 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,174 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
I've got a little tiny one (not Jackery brand) that I mainly use for jumping car starts but it has USB and 110v outlets too. I've considered something like that Jackery line-up to augment my generator during extended power outages but Mother Nature has spared us for several years now so it went on the back burner

If I ever lost my mind and took my wife camping again something like that might be the place she needs for her hair dryer to plug in.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 12-22-21, 10:30 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2224 Post(s)
Liked 967 Times in 564 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Is the car not good enough to keep your USB based toys charged?

GPS I can understand... but beyond that... do you not seek to "disconnect" when you go camping? Bring a harmonica.
Useful when you have a bunch of electronics needing power and you don't want to have the truck engine running. They are popular with overlanding folks and YT content providers who do camping videos and have a lot of cameras in use. Many folks combine them with solar panels to keep them charged and ready. The 500 model is $500, which is pricey and nothing I need currenrly.
Old 12-22-21, 11:04 AM
ahsposo 
Loaded Little Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 5708 Post(s)
Liked 3,634 Times in 2,115 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
E Jackery
Old 12-23-21, 10:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2806 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 1,305 Posts
Take a whakery at this Jackery battery packery it may not increase the size of your sackery and your real name might not be Zachery but if you listen to My Sharona it is most certainly by the Knackery. If you go on a trip make sure to do some packery and some licorice is blackery.

I like Goal Zero but I couldn't really say if Jackery is better or worse comparatively but I know GZ makes excellent quality products and use them myself and have some overlanding and camping folks who really swear by it.
Old 12-24-21, 02:18 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 2,418 Times in 1,568 Posts
Hondo Gravel , they're good. I bought a Jackery Bar Premium 6000 mAh USB pack five years ago based on a friend's recommendation. Cost $15 at the time. It still works fine. I've dropped it a few times and the cover popped open the last time. I recharged it, placing it on a non-combustible surface away from anything else (in case it burned or exploded). No problems, still works fine.

I have several USB battery packs and the Jackery is still the best of the bunch. Despite being smaller, it still runs longer per charge than a Merkury brand two-outlet 6000 mAh pack.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 12-29-21, 09:46 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

The solar panel arrived. Now for some sun.

Old 01-05-22, 01:00 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

I have my stereo hooked up with my gps charging. Playing CDs pulling about 13 watts full blast about 20. Dang I’m impressed and this is the entry level model. This will definitely power anything I will want for camping with some creature comforts. Trying to wear it down so I can test out the solar panel and see how that goes. Last summer talked to some folks that had a Jackery but a much more powerful unit than this one. They loved theirs and that convinced me to look into it. This unit can handle 200 watts I doubt I will ever need that much but maybe in an emergency. So far I can see this being a handy device.

I can now jam out in BFE maybe the west Texas desert.
Old 01-13-22, 09:34 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,500 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
Take a whakery at this Jackery battery packery it may not increase the size of your sackery and your real name might not be Zachery but if you listen to My Sharona it is most certainly by the Knackery. If you go on a trip make sure to do some packery and some licorice is blackery.
That **** tastes like crappery
Old 01-13-22, 09:38 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,500 Posts
First time I ever saw the word Jackery was seeing the title of this thread. Then I saw an ad for Jackery in my wife's latest Outside magazine.

I don't know why, but it makes me think of Yeti, and how there's that cheaper clone brand which Hondo I think you posted about a few months ago, and wonder if there's a cheaper not-quite-Jackery out there.

These battery packs are pretty cool though, I got a car jumpstarter one, and it is great to keep in the trunk. Over Christmas our older (2002) car wasn't driven for 2 solid weeks and the battery drained enough it wouldn't start. Jump-starter battery pack got it fired right up, and only dropped from 100% to I think 85% doing it.

So the one you got is called the 240, is that because it holds 240 gazillion mah or something?

I'm sure you're going to experiment, it would be interesting to hear how long it takes to charge from empty to full using the solar panels.
Old 01-13-22, 11:51 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

The power went out a few nights back it powered A few lamps and my phone. So it had one good use so far. The solar panel took it from 78% to 100% fairly quickly in hazy sunshine. I didn’t time it but it wasn’t that long.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 01-13-22, 01:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2806 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 1,305 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
That **** tastes like crappery
Of course but it rhymed so it did the time!
Old 01-13-22, 10:46 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Focus Mares AL, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 689 Posts
Got me a Mitsubish Outlander PHEV. Has a 12 kWh battery. I didn't buy the GT level, so no 12A @ 110v outlet for me.

As I understand, the 12v battery is driving the accessory output, which is fused at 15A. But it's kept charged by the traction battery at only 4.5 Amps.

If my math is right, that'll keep my cell phone charged for a couple hundred days without even starting the engine to recharge the battery.