Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Food found or bought on your commute

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 01-10-22, 12:16 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts

Is there a fruit tree on your ride? I was picking up an orange again today and was thinking about other things I've found, and what other regulars might have found, and how you feel about it. I've been limiting my pilfering to fruit that is down, and not on the lawn... ie, it's on the sidewalk or parking. I don't know what the law is, but I feel like fruit still on the tree or in the yard belongs to the owner but down fruit off their property is abandoned. I'm sure other people have different comfort zones. There are a lot of black cherry trees around, even in parks where they are fair game, but the downed ones are already shot, the easy to reach ones tend to disappear fast. And that's the only pit fruit I can think of although I don't know why there are not more. Apple trees grow fine around here but I don't think there are any on my route. Wild blackberries are available in season. There's a huge blackberry patch on Lake Natoma west of Old Folsom. But blackberry picking is kind of an activity to itself and would be a big stop on the ride.

What such fruit do you have to report?

I recall someone posting about giant puffball mushrooms. Any other fungi?

In a different vein, do you have a regular stop? A favorite place to get a coffee or pastry or a fruit stand?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-10-22, 12:23 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 341 Posts
My favorite coffee stand went out of business. I guess my dollar/day just wasn't enough. I have picked up apples, even got yelled at one time by the property owner. I was on the road leaning over and he was behind a huge bush and yelled, "You better not be on my property!" to which I replied, "I would never do that. But these apples are on the road." Silence, so I road on. I'm not a vegan, but I love fresh fruit!
Old 01-10-22, 01:10 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
A couple of years ago a group called ABC here in Atlanta sponsored a few "harvest" rides, where they were going to locations in and around the metro area and picking fruit. The fruit was then taken on to various food banks. As a result of said ride, several of the fruit trees were cut down, other properties had signage put up letting people know they were trespassing, and I believe that ABC themselves got sued over it.
Interesting sort of side to this...our local farmers market had some beautiful pear trees out front of their location as you come in the entrance. There was a big stink a couple of years ago with people coming out to collect them. We stopped one of our visits and picked some up. They were delicious...but at any rate, something happened. I am fairly sure a ped. got hit while collecting since it was in the road of the entry to the market. They cut the trees down.
Old 01-10-22, 02:44 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
I have been known to stop on the trail and stuff my face with blackberries. You have to pick the west facing berries, because they're the only ones getting adequate sun and a little bit of heat; otherwise they're just seedy and bland.

Also this fall, I discovered some small apple and Asian pear street trees while exploring around town. I assumed they were public, as they were between the sidewalk and the street; and judging by the amount of windfall, no one was appreciating their generosity. I grabbed so much fruit; the apples were good, but the Asian pears were truly sublime (I ate three while gathering). I made sure to thank the trees.
Likes For Korina:
Old 01-10-22, 03:41 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 427 Posts
Is there a fruit tree on your ride? A favorite place to get a coffee or pastry or a fruit stand?
Growing up, there was this great pomegranate tree along the route we often took. In season, we'd often grab two or three poms and make that our snack along the ride.

Used to take a mountain bike along a section of an old, underused railroad spur because of the wild blackberries that grew nearby. That'd always hit the spot.

Can't say that there's currently a special stop on rides, these days.
Old 01-11-22, 08:44 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
I know where there are asparagus plants on my route and harvest in spring as well as morel mushrooms.
With the woods behind my house decimated by ash borer I also pick up acorns, walnuts, and hickory that I disburse back there to someday help "reforest" it. I have a number of walnuts and oaks now 6-10' high.
Old 01-11-22, 09:23 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
been seeing dill weed growing around town this year in the middle o the city. sure smells good.
Old 01-11-22, 09:42 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 950 Posts
I found a few pounds of packaged coffee a few years ago. The roast was a little light, I gave one of the bags to my brother.
Old 01-11-22, 11:52 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Picked free food in the form of blackberries and apples along the side of the road while in WA and OR. Found a can of Budweiser once, and another time a can of coke. I would love to buy coffee, but nothing any good on my way tot work so I brew at home and carry an insulated mug in one of my bottle cages.
Old 01-11-22, 12:36 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

This morning a lady was picking olives. That did not occur to me! I thought the olive trees planted in town were ornamental.

I only got one little firm racketball sized orange today. I just know it's going to be sour. There was a big nice one that was only half squished, decided I'm not that desperate.

We get tons and tons of acorns in the autumn. Making acorn flour is enough of a hassle that I haven't bothered. They need to be shelled, pulverized, rinsed of tannins. The indigenous people used to live on it until the Spaniards make them farm. To keep it bike relevant, they are also a tire hazard!

I posted about the giant California varietal of buckeye in one of the other threads. Similar process - but it needs to be steamed or boiled for a long time (like 24 hours) to get rid of the neurotoxin prior to the rinse process before you can turn it into flour

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 01-11-22 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-12-22, 07:45 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
For a few years there was a farmer's market once a week in a park I rode through. I'd buy roasted green chiles an eat them after arriving at work!
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 01-12-22, 03:04 PM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 83 Posts
Not on my route to work, but while I was walking my brother's dog back a few months ago, there were some sort of berry bushes dropping berries, but I didn't feel comfortable reaching my hand over the fence into someone's yard to start picking them. Also there was a tree across the street from his house that had berries that would fall but the tree was to high for me to reach the berries.

It turns out my brother's yard had a pear tree, raspberry bushes, and another fruit but I do not recall. While in the process of getting ready to sell his house his whole back yard was deforested taking out all the beautiful fruit bearing vegetation. He is passing papers on the house this Friday. I would love to have fruit bearing plants where I live but we do not have room.
Old 01-13-22, 08:00 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,622 Times in 942 Posts
You guys are finding all the healthy foods. All I find are donuts.
Likes For locolobo13:
Old 01-14-22, 08:57 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
This morning a lady was picking olives. That did not occur to me! I thought the olive trees planted in town were ornamental.

I only got one little firm racketball sized orange today. I just know it's going to be sour. There was a big nice one that was only half squished, decided I'm not that desperate.

We get tons and tons of acorns in the autumn. Making acorn flour is enough of a hassle that I haven't bothered. They need to be shelled, pulverized, rinsed of tannins. The indigenous people used to live on it until the Spaniards make them farm. To keep it bike relevant, they are also a tire hazard!

I posted about the giant California varietal of buckeye in one of the other threads. Similar process - but it needs to be steamed or boiled for a long time (like 24 hours) to get rid of the neurotoxin prior to the rinse process before you can turn it into flour
https://www.urbanfarm.org/2018/12/18/408-ron-mantini/
Old 01-14-22, 09:05 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by Juan Foote
A couple of years ago a group called ABC here in Atlanta sponsored a few "harvest" rides, where they were going to locations in and around the metro area and picking fruit. The fruit was then taken on to various food banks. As a result of said ride, several of the fruit trees were cut down, other properties had signage put up letting people know they were trespassing, and I believe that ABC themselves got sued over it.
Interesting sort of side to this...our local farmers market had some beautiful pear trees out front of their location as you come in the entrance. There was a big stink a couple of years ago with people coming out to collect them. We stopped one of our visits and picked some up. They were delicious...but at any rate, something happened. I am fairly sure a ped. got hit while collecting since it was in the road of the entry to the market. They cut the trees down.
That’s obviously asking for problems.

One rider once in awhile? Ok.

Group of riders mobbing together to pick other peoples fruit? Not OK.
Old 01-14-22, 09:19 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
in the Boston area, we've picked & eaten cherries when riding along the Charles River on the Cambridge side, near Harvard. but not this time of year!
Old 01-14-22, 12:58 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

If you actually pull a lemon off someone's tree, are you doing them a favor? AFAF
Old 01-14-22, 01:39 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 502 Times in 319 Posts
No. Our lemon tree has much reduced production after these recent very dry years. I am hoping the last few heavy rains will get it going again. Love, J
Old 01-14-22, 08:25 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
If you actually pull a lemon off someone's tree, are you doing them a favor? AFAF
Ask the owner?
Old 01-15-22, 02:20 PM
CycloneZ

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I dont know if I qualify as "commute" but as a bicycle courier (food delivery), sometimes I get orders cancelled on me after picking up, which in very rare occasion I get to keep! (but it's really rare for that to happen lol)
Old 01-16-22, 03:25 PM
OmegaWolf
on your lawn

Bikes: 1995 Trek 370, 1997 Trek 800 Sport, 2013 Specialized Crossroads Elite, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR5, 1991 Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Not on my commute, but a few miles from home at the beginning of many of my other bike routes there are a few pear trees in a fenced in yard. There are frequently pears that fell on the bike path side of the fence, but I've never taken any.
Old 01-24-22, 01:46 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Still getting some nice oranges.

I remembered there are wild grapes along my route. They are not good to eat, unfortunately, being mostly seed.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 01-24-22, 02:13 PM
HookUp

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
About 8 miles up the bike trail is a BBQ place. Wife & I will take a leisurely ride, stop for either a drink or some Q, then ride home.

I do have a spot that's full of Morels at a certain time of the year
Old 01-24-22, 02:45 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
On tour a few years ago I left camp before everyone else and about 5km down the road I found a market run by a group of one of the 'less progressive' religious groups - Amish? Mennonites? I don't know, but there were baked goods still warm from the oven. I left my bike visible from the road so my buds would know where I stopped. I was surprised/disappointed that a non-zero number of my riding companions preferred to keep riding to a Tim Hortons in the next town rather than stop and sit on a bench outside the market.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 01-24-22, 08:44 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 341 Posts
Originally Posted by HookUp
About 8 miles up the bike trail is a BBQ place. Wife & I will take a leisurely ride, stop for either a drink or some Q, then ride home.

I do have a spot that's full of Morels at a certain time of the year
I found a spot with Lobster and another with Matsutaki mushrooms. Both are on my regular 26 mile route. I keep my eyes open for the bumps now and never hesitate to stop and pop them out. In a skillet with onions and garlic. Making me hungry now haha.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.