Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

How To Prevent Rust Or Corrosion From Damaging Your E-bike?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

How To Prevent Rust Or Corrosion From Damaging Your E-bike?

Old 01-18-22, 11:05 PM
  #1  
AOSTIRMOTOR
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
How To Prevent Rust Or Corrosion From Damaging Your E-bike?

For most riders, a new e-bike is a major financial investment. It's important, then, to prevent rust or corrosion from damaging your e-bike.


1. Park your car indoors as much as possible and store your e-bike properly. If you must park your car outside in the rain or humidity, don't park it for a long time.


2. It is to avoid contact with corrosive substances.


3. Perform regular maintenance. Cleaning your e-bike not only keeps it from rusting and corroding, it also gives you a chance to check for any signs of failure. If painted metal parts are scratched or chipped, use touch-up paint or nail polish to prevent corrosion.


4. Keep your e-bike well lubricated. Lubricants not only keep your e-bike running smoothly, but also protect it from bad weather. Keeping all e-bike bushings and bearings lubricated as well as chain lubricated (if you want them to last long) is critical.
AOSTIRMOTOR is offline  
Old 01-19-22, 07:36 AM
  #2  
shelbyfv
Senior Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 10,039
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 3,753 Times in 1,931 Posts
Originally Posted by AOSTIRMOTOR View Post
For most riders, a new e-bike is a major financial investment. It's important, then, to prevent rust or corrosion from damaging your e-bike.


1. Park your car indoors as much as possible and store your e-bike properly. If you must park your car outside in the rain or humidity, don't park it for a long time.


2. It is to avoid contact with corrosive substances.


3. Perform regular maintenance. Cleaning your e-bike not only keeps it from rusting and corroding, it also gives you a chance to check for any signs of failure. If painted metal parts are scratched or chipped, use touch-up paint or nail polish to prevent corrosion.


4. Keep your e-bike well lubricated. Lubricants not only keep your e-bike running smoothly, but also protect it from bad weather. Keeping all e-bike bushings and bearings lubricated as well as chain lubricated (if you want them to last long) is critical.
I have a truck that will not fit in my garage. It has to live outside permanently. Will this negatively impact my cycling experience?
shelbyfv is offline  
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-19-22, 07:01 PM
  #3  
AOSTIRMOTOR
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv View Post
I have a truck that will not fit in my garage. It has to live outside permanently. Will this negatively impact my cycling experience?
Thank you very much for your reply. Parking the car outdoors for a long time in the sun and rain will cause excessive aging of the car paint. Might improve the situation if you have a vehicle dust cover.
AOSTIRMOTOR is offline  
Old 01-19-22, 09:08 PM
  #4  
jon c. 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 4,209
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 428 Times in 235 Posts
My truck has been parked outside for the last dozen years. Paint is still good and my cycling has not been impacted.
jon c. is offline  
Likes For jon c.:
Old 01-19-22, 10:34 PM
  #5  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 9,720

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2796 Post(s)
Liked 1,956 Times in 1,295 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c. View Post
My truck has been parked outside for the last dozen years. Paint is still good and my cycling has not been impacted.
I bet it has, you have just gotten so used to your impacted cycling that it feels normal. You have probably lost 10-30 watts because of your outdoor truck. Don't even get me started on your FTP and VO2. Plus that paint is probably just a coating for some raw rusty metal underneath.

Personally I only use my trucks indoors and my cycling has never been better
veganbikes is offline  
Likes For veganbikes:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.