Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your Vintage Touring bikes

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your Vintage Touring bikes

Old 11-27-21, 10:29 AM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 125 Posts
Originally Posted by badger_biker
Is the plastic stiffener something you added? I’ve never seen a tire sock with one. I need to put something in mine so it doesn’t flop down so I’m curious if yours is a complete cylinder or a U shaped piece.
Try an empty plastic soft drink bottle with the top cut off. The 1 liter size.
Old 11-27-21, 10:33 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26245 Post(s)
Liked 10,229 Times in 7,098 Posts

...I might have posted this one before, but it has some functional updates and a new (used) set of panniers.
For what it is, a pleasant, unassuming, Japanese made Schwinn, with only the three main tubes butted, it's remarkable as a sport tourer.
Old 11-27-21, 10:44 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by ZudeJammer
I tried my biopace on a 25mi ride yesterday and I was contemplating switching rings I am not used to it.
Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist
Same here. The big ring wasn't so bad but the granny was impossible to spin.
...I have two bikes with triple chainring cranks, where the only Biopace ring is the granny ring. It does feel funny at first, and I don't think I could spin it either. But I find that section of the pedal stroke where it feels like resistance drops to zero to be quite a good assist going up a steeper hill with a load on the back. I like it now, but not to the point where I'm swapping out the rest of the bikes. This one is set up that way, and it works very well for me (once I got used to it after a couple of rides.)

Old 11-27-21, 10:47 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Old 11-27-21, 11:52 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
3alarmer all really nice classy looking bikes is that where all the white fenders have gotten off to? you have a stock pile of'em in your garage? don't lie now....

interesting how that huret FD curvature doesn't match at all with the rings. never been a problem for me, but some claim it makes for poor shifting. i don't imagine you have that problem, either
Old 11-28-21, 12:37 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
Originally Posted by ZudeJammer
I tried my biopace on a 25mi ride yesterday and I was contemplating switching rings I am not used to it.
Originally Posted by DQRider
This is one of those things that got over-analyzed by the cycling press. All Biopace does is increase leverage during the gravity-assisted down stroke, and reduce the effort over the top. It's not magic, it's just physics. I hope this helps.
I have a Biopace triple with 50/45/28 and one that's 48/38/28. I don't notice it on any of the "big" rings unless I'm looking down at them.
Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist
Same here. The big ring wasn't so bad but the granny was impossible to spin.
You're not supposed to spin the granny- the idea is that you throw all your power at it on your power stroke- which is why you're using the granny- "voot voot voot voot" instead of "rrrrrrrrrrrrr."

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 11-28-21, 01:05 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by thook
3alarmer all really nice classy looking bikes is that where all the white fenders have gotten off to? you have a stock pile of'em in your garage? don't lie now....

interesting how that huret FD curvature doesn't match at all with the rings. never been a problem for me, but some claim it makes for poor shifting. i don't imagine you have that problem, either

...it pisses me off that SKS stopped making white fenders. When I wanted white fenders for this Follis project, I had to buy some aluminum ones that were anodized black, rough the surface, and paint them myself. Yeah, I cannot explain the cage angle on that Jubilee front mechanism, but it shifts fine that way. I ended up regrinding the flat on the front mechanism for this one, where the cage bolts on, to get a better line for the front cage.

Old 11-28-21, 01:31 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

no offense, but that's "better"? what did it look like before? simplex?

i was miffed, too, over the disappearance of the white fenders. nlerner has a build with some on it (though more "off" white) and really wanted some for a light grey schwinn. SOL. i'd rattled can some fenders in the past and never liked the end result, so likely won't try it, again
Old 11-28-21, 01:48 AM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 195 Posts

It may mean that the mounting clamp is partially broken on the opposite side. That was the fate of my Jubilee front mech.
Likes For daka:
Old 11-28-21, 01:54 AM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 125 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I have a Biopace triple with 50/45/28 and one that's 48/38/28. I don't notice it on any of the "big" rings unless I'm looking down at them.

You're not supposed to spin the granny- the idea is that you throw all your power at it on your power stroke- which is why you're using the granny- "voot voot voot voot" instead of "rrrrrrrrrrrrr."
Love the description. I agree with everything you said and I feel some benefit using oval rings on the big ring especially when trying to power the flats for speed. My granny is usually a 24t or 23t and I feel more comfortable with a relaxed spin. It saves my knees. When I slow the cadence to take advantage of the power stroke I feel the fast/slow/fast/slow feel feels too uneven to me. This is probably where I should say, " different strokes for different folks," but I won't.😌
Likes For Cycle Tourist:
Old 11-28-21, 03:28 AM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 196 Posts
Ready for an unnecessarily long post? I blame it on the fact that I never put a thread together showing the rebuild of the '76 Limited Touring. So if you're game, here goes...

I shared my Eisentraut to this thread before, but that was a couple of years ago, and it's recently been torn down and rebuilt since then. Quite a different bike really. A bit sportier. Noticably lighter. And more pleasing to my eye. Which all said and done, makes for an extraordinarily fun bike. More so than it was prior to the rebuild.

It's a franken build, but nothing is random, and I guess it's a compilation of little group sets. So there is some notable theme running through the build list.

One of the smartest upgrades this time around are the SR SP-11 pedals. Best fitting, most comfortable pedal for my feet that I've ever found. And they flip on command. I'm using them with Bruce Gordon clips, and couldn't be happier with the pairing. Super easy in and out. Solid. Secure.

The Rene Herse 32c extra light tires have also proved to be a big step up from Gravel Kings for the kind of riding I do. Their suppleness really compliments the frame's ride feel.

Last real noteworthy change was the "step down" from the proverbial Brooks B-17 to a San Marcos Rolls titanium. The weight savings is huge. No comfort lost. I actually like the feel better. And I don't worry about someone stealing off with it as much.

I went with half step plus granny gearing over the previous alpine set up. And I replaced Shimano Deerhead mechs for 1st gen Cyclone. Much snappier and lighter with the Suntour. Went with down tube levers this time in place of the barcons I previously installed. Superbe calipers and levers replaced Modolo units.

I've kept the Nuovo Record hubs and M-40 rims. But the Mavics are running thin along their brake tracks. I have a pair of Wolber Alpines which I'll lace the hubs to eventually.

Bottom bracket is a floating unit from White Industries. Gives me a good chainline but it's not the best design. Still hunting for a better substitute.

Campy Pista head set. 3ttt post, stem, and bars. Jim Blackburn rack in back, and Vetta up front. Jim Blackburn bottle cage, and Honjo fenders. Still need to dial in the perfect fender line and clip the struts at their mounting points, but I'm riding dry, which is good enough for now.

Yep, I think that about does it.

I plan on making a set of custom panniers and a saddle bag this winter in preparation for next spring's adventures.

In the meantime, I've been enjoying it as much as the weather will allow, which is not enough.

​​​​

Last edited by deux jambes; 11-28-21 at 04:10 AM.
Old 11-28-21, 01:38 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by daka
It may mean that the mounting clamp is partially broken on the opposite side. That was the fate of my Jubilee front mech.
Old 11-28-21, 01:46 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

no offense, but that's "better"? what did it look like before? simplex?
...that is the "before" photo. Here is "after".

i was miffed, too, over the disappearance of the white fenders. nlerner has a build with some on it (though more "off" white) and really wanted some for a light grey schwinn. SOL. i'd rattled can some fenders in the past and never liked the end result, so likely won't try it, again
...I had to use two coats of white enamel and a third urethane clear coat, on aluminum, to get something I liked. Curse you SKS !!!
Old 11-28-21, 01:59 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

3alarmer oh!!! that's infinitely better!! weird how it was so messed up before

i tried painting chromoplast fenders. and, i used a semi gloss for plastics (acrylic?), so that probably has something to do with it. i did not try a clear coat, though. maybe i'll try to salvage them with sanding, a gloss enamel, and then the clear. i even have some some already for some paint repair on my car.
Old 11-29-21, 06:02 PM
Ger482

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts

my 51 year old Claude Butler.I did a rebuild for it's 50th year .I've had this bike since I was 14 years old.Still ride daily,it's like my right hand....Scott
Old 11-29-21, 07:10 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by Ger482
my 51 year old Claude Butler.I did a rebuild for it's 50th year .I've had this bike since I was 14 years old.Still ride daily,it's like my right hand....Scott
Wow... Perfect.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Likes For DQRider:
Old 11-29-21, 07:49 PM
Ger482

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
thanks DQRider it was great doing the rebuild, that bike has gone thousands of miles with me.,,,, yes ride for the fun
Old 12-02-21, 11:29 AM
HeikoS69

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 18 Posts
German Touring Bicycle Guylaine

Recently I built a "new" bicycle for me.

Bought as an unpainted NOS 1998 frame from a dear friend, got it and the rack slightly modified by Norwid Fahrradbau, than had it powder coated in RAL 1028 melon yellow to have a partner look with my wifes bicycle and finally completed it with new, NOS and used parts, most of them in my drawers for years.

Most special part of this bicycle (apart from its uncommon colour) ist the saddle! In 1997 I had taken that off my Bio-Racer bike after it had spent a night in the sleet, uncovered. It was the night of the 22nd to the 23rd of March 1997, in which I met my wife. Since then the saddle was never used again and spent its hard existence on various shelves.

It is a German „Reiserad“ (touring bicycle), quite popular from 1985 to about 1995. It where 700c bicycles with drop bars, tires from 25 to max. 32mm wide, sturdy rear racks, front lowrider attachments (following Jim Blackburns suggestions), but no front bag support as usual in France and no saddle bag as in UK but of course fully equipped with fenders and dynamo lights as per German traffic regulations, had usually cantilever brakes, often dynamo under die bottom bracket, sometimes with remote control, geometry close to racing bikes, angles often 72-73 degree.

So nothing new under the sun, but the German approach for this topic, being a little late as it started around 1983 becoming popular.

Guylaine was the top brand of such bicycles in that age, offering complete bicycles in a modular concept regarding braze ons and components.

Click on image name to get full size resultion on Flickr.

On my Flickr there also is a complete set of all Guylaine catalog photos ever published.

Guylaine Randonneur by Heiko, auf Flickr

Guylaine Gelb 2 by Heiko, auf Flickr

Guylaine Gelb 4 by Heiko, auf Flickr

Last edited by HeikoS69; 04-19-22 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Completion
Old 12-02-21, 12:29 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,439 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by HeikoS69
Recently I built a "new" bicycle for me.

That's a great looking bike, and an excellent build. How do you like the Suntour Command shifters?

Nice work!
Old 12-02-21, 01:29 PM
HeikoS69

Originally Posted by Roger M
That's a great looking bike, and an excellent build. How do you like the Suntour Command shifters?

Nice work!
Thanks Roger,
I had never used such shifters before. The first impression is excellent but it's too early for a verdict.
Old 12-02-21, 06:27 PM
OTS 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 137 Posts
Wow, there are a lot of gorgeous bikes in this thread.
I have to go now and get something to clean the drool off my keyboard
Old 12-03-21, 02:52 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 212 Posts
[QUOTE=HeikoS69;22326696]Recently I built a "new" bicycle for me.

Bought as an unpainted NOS 1998 frame from a dear friend, got it and the rack slightly modified by Norwid Fahrradbau, than had it powder coated in RAL 1028 melon yellow to have a partner look with my wifes bicycle and finally completed it with new, NOS and used parts, most of them in my drawers for years.

Most special part of this bicycle (apart from its uncommon colour) ist the saddle! In 1997 I had taken that off my Bio-Racer bike after it had spent a night in the sleet, uncovered. It was the night of the 22nd to the 23rd of March 1997, in which I met my wife. Since then the saddle was never used again and spent its hard existence on various shelves.

It is a German „Reiserad“ (touring bicycle), quite popular from 1985 to about 1995. It where 700c bicycles with drop bars, tires from 25 to max. 32mm wide, sturdy rear racks, front lowrider attachments (following Jim Blackburns suggestions), but no front bag support as usual in France and no saddle bag as in UK but of course fully equipped fenders and light as per German traffic regulations, had usually cantilever brakes, often dynamo under die bottom bracket, sometimes with remote control, geometry close to racing bikes, angles often 72-73 degree.

So nothing new under the sun, but the German approach for this topic, being a little late as it started around 1983 becoming popular.

Guylaine was the top brand of such bicycles in that age, offering complete bicycles in a modular concept regarding braze ons and components.

Guylaine Randonneur by Heiko, auf Flickr

Hello mein gesperrt friend, that is a fine fine looking bike. I have never heard of the brand name before. Was or is it fairly well known in Germany? It appears to have all the functionality of a nice sport tourer.
Old 12-03-21, 03:22 PM
HeikoS69

Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Hello mein gesperrt friend, that is a fine fine looking bike. I have never heard of the brand name before. Was or is it fairly well known in Germany? It appears to have all the functionality of a nice sport tourer.
Market leader at the top end of a niche market, so well known among ambitious cyclotourists and bicyclelovers of that age, but of cause not well known to the general public, perhaps even not to racing bicycle fans.

Company was founded 1983, own framebuilding started Summer 1986.
I scanned a complete set of catalogs from their first catalog with selfmade frames 1986 to their last paper-catalog at all 1996/97. Files are uploaded in a German bicycle forum, from post no. 3 onwards, filesize 4-6 mb each, 12 catalogs in total. All catalogphotos are also uploaded in that place in 150 dpi quality and can also be found in 600 dpi "high quality" on Flickr.
Files are posted with permission of the rights owner.
Language is German everywhere.
Catalogues: https://www.rennrad-news.de/forum/th...lfaden.177271/
600 dpi catalog photo scans: https://www.flickr.com/photos/414206...57720074617283

The 1992 catalog is the most beautiful one imho, nice front and rear covers, nice model photos, full geometry data anyway, pdf-file below the following forum post:
https://www.rennrad-news.de/forum/th...1/post-5136252

Last edited by HeikoS69; 12-03-21 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-06-21, 09:34 AM
pfaustus

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Super Touring, 1980? Trek 620, 1964 Dunelt, 1991 Specialized Hardrock Comp, 80's Peugeot Vagabond, '74 Raleigh Super Course

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
Google image search of "Reiserad" produces a whole new world of touring bikes, of which I was completely ignorant.
Old 12-11-21, 09:04 PM
2flit
2Flit

Location: Orcas Washington and currently Circumnavigating in a Farrier F36 Trimaran

Bikes: 1968 Rene Herse Gentleman's Bike; 1974/5 Jim Merz Custom-built; 1984 Rodriquez tandem; 2012 Bilenky Tandem; 1967 Cinelli SC; 1984 Specialized Exp. 68cm; 1971 Holdsworth 63cm(my first bike ever and owned since new!); 1994 Bridgestone MB5; 86'Trek420

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 35 Posts
Specialized Expedition circa 1984 on a 14 day trip out of Calgary.

14 day trip out of Calgary, shot above Banff on way to Jasper

Departing Calgary

Typical Camp site

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.