Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1966 (?) Schwinn Rams Horn Fastback

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-21, 10:02 AM
nbiniker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1966 (?) Schwinn Rams Horn Fastback

hello - I am the original owner of this bike and am wondering how I can find out what it is worth. Thanks
Old 06-24-21, 11:15 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Condition is everything on these bikes. Need to see. Also how original is it?
Old 06-24-21, 03:04 PM
nbiniker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everything is original except for the pedals. The original pedals fell apart. The bike has not been used for many years and will definitely need lots of clean up, but i was told it is worth more as is because the new owner will want to restore it themselves. Any truth to that?
Old 06-27-21, 08:51 AM
konakai

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 41 Posts
yes, don't clean it, buyers like to have that vision of how it will look after, sometimes its great, other times not so much
Old 06-27-21, 09:02 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2927 Post(s)
Liked 2,922 Times in 1,490 Posts
Originally Posted by konakai
yes, don't clean it, buyers like to have that vision of how it will look after, sometimes its great, other times not so much
something like this? Pic is from the internet

Not all buyers like patina on their bikes. To me a dirty bike is a sign that it may issues like bad bearings or overly worn chain. Which means I’m probably not going to pay near your asking price

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 06-27-21, 09:53 AM
konakai

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 41 Posts
to each his own on the cleaning, I doubt someone looking at a ramshorn schwinn would be to worried on the condition of the chain or bearings. a lot of collectors get stoked to see that 50 year old bike untouched, dirt and grime included. yes sometimes a good cleaning uncovers a beauty,sometimes lots of flaws. I always tell someone don't touch it, but that's usually if I'm the interested buyer. then does the seller know what their doing, I've seen decals scrubbed off, original tires throw away, etc. good luck with the bike which ever way you go
Old 06-27-21, 10:24 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
"Collectors" only want a dirty, untouched bike because they don't want to pay market price for a clean, ready to ride bike. To get the most out of your sales you're not targeting them. You want the guy who doesn't deal in these bikes but wants ONE because he had (or wanted) one when he was a kid. This buyer wants a ridable bike that looks as nice as he can afford, and he will be shopping around. So definitely clean it up. See what comparable bikes are selling for on the sites you plan to list it, and list yours at slightly less so it moves.

I sold a nice original Stik Shift Fastback with the standard riser bars on CL for $450 several years ago. The Rams horn bars on your bike add quite a bit to the value.

Last edited by AlmostTrick; 06-27-21 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Added photos
Likes For AlmostTrick: