Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help ID today's yard sale find

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help ID today's yard sale find

Old 08-08-22, 07:23 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,375 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldsledz
Thank you everyone for the help with figuring out what this bike started life as. it is a 1988 Centurion Le Mans , I found this one for sale on line , the serial numbers are 6 apart.
Old 08-08-22, 07:44 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,745 Times in 1,189 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
I know it's supposed to be a mid-level bike with parts selection reflecting meeting a price point, AND it has a mismatched rear wheel and lots of scars and rust - but somebody forgot to tell it that, and it rides like a much more expensive machine.
Those are my favorite kind of roadie, the ones that "punch above their class". Reminds me of my Sirrus and my Trek 412.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 08-12-22, 10:40 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
No, the wheels on this bike are 650C not 650B. They are a completely different size. 650C wheels are wonderful for small frames and in the era this was built, narrow tires were standard. Terry has 650C X 28 tires for sale on her website (well except she doesn't own the company anymore). There is no way 700C wheels will work on this frame so don't try unless the process is educational.

I have built a number of 650C custom frames for small people during my career. They are a great option except for tire availability and the recent trend to go with wider tires. For a small person this is a great bike and will ride better than modern small 700C wheel bikes. A whole lot of compromises have to be made to make big wheels work for smaller people.
I have no idea where that “650b” came from? I do see that the other replies do refer to 650c. I’d say a typo but the “c” & “b” have a key in between them. Might have to blame it on “auto correct”.
Old 08-12-22, 04:45 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The frame manufacturer is Nomura of Japan. It is definitely a 1988 model manufactured in late 1987. However, while there was a 650C version of the LeMans (46 and 48cm frames) that year and it was equipped with Exage Sport, that is not the only possibility. Terry used the same source at this time and she also offered 650C. Given the much wider distribution for Centurion, that is likely the identity, but it's not a slam dunk.
Old 08-13-22, 09:58 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,745 Times in 1,189 Posts
I wonder if Ms. Terry would still have information on serial number ranges for the bikes she sourced out to providers like Nomura BITD. My understanding is that she's always interested in hearing of the provenance of bikes that bore her name. Wouldn't that be something if this were actually a Terry.