Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dura-Ace SP-7410

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Dura-Ace SP-7410

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-22, 06:17 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Dura-Ace SP-7410

Along with my new to me Schwinn Previs, I received a Dura-Ace 7410 seat post.
The mast and the head are not detached, but the head turns on the mast with body weight on it.
I'm thinking a couple of set screws installed would return it to rideability but I'm not going to bother with it.
If someone wants it for parts or repair, you can have it for the price of shipping

Old 11-10-22, 06:26 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
@Schweinhund - PM Sent
Old 11-10-22, 06:32 AM
Schweinhund

That was quick - it's yours details in pm
Old 11-13-22, 01:36 PM
Schweinhund

Give someone a broken seatpost with good, usable parts on it and tell them it's broke, and they b!tch cuz it's broken.
Money refunded for shipping. No more freebies.
Old 11-13-22, 07:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
Give someone a broken seatpost with good, usable parts on it and tell them it's broke, and they b!tch cuz it's broken.
Well shoot I would have done shipping within reason and tried to fix it. Some people are just jerks. If you actually come out from the get go and say he it is having issues it is yours but it has issues you cannot really complain unless there was something not disclosed that would really change someones decision. If I it came cracked in half not in the spot you said there were issues and that wasn't disclosed at all I might be P.O.d but getting a free post that you said had issues and listed those issues even if maybe not as well as one may like and then that person complaining FFFFFFFF.

If it is still around and you are willing I am game and can PM you or you can PM me and we can chat but if not I totally understand. Good luck with the new build or whatever you may be doing with this new bike : )
Old 11-14-22, 04:49 AM
Schweinhund

Shipping was 12.50 actual cost, Total price. Problem with the top mounting to the post.
No matter, it's done.
Money was returned he was advised to throw it away.
Old 11-14-22, 07:15 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
No good deed goes unpunished.
Old 11-16-22, 03:34 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
I'd be reluctant to drill holes for set screws -- those would create stress risers that could lead to post failure

If you can separate the parts, you could clean them off and re-bond them with a strong adhesive like Loctite #680 or equivalent.

https://www.winzer.com/product/Locti...xed-Fits-36-Ml
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 11-16-22, 03:46 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3505 Post(s)
Liked 2,924 Times in 1,774 Posts
I do wonder what got so worn on that post that the clamp was allowed to swivel?
Old 11-16-22, 05:02 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I do wonder what got so worn on that post that the clamp was allowed to swivel?
From looking at the photos on this eBay listing for a SP-7410 (they're much better than the SP-7410 photos on Velobase), it appears that the SP-7410 post assembly was constructed from two different pieces. The post "head" appears to have been swaged onto the post tube. The upper and lower rail clamp plates were held to the head by a bolt that passed through the post head and the lower plate, and which threaded into the upper plate. Shimano's EV for the SP-7410 can be found here.

My guess is that the swaged joint between the post's head and tube failed, becoming loose and allowing the head to turn on the tube. The Thing from Fantastic 4 going "clobbering time" and twisting the hell out of the seat while clamped into the frame a few times (or something else that put a lot of torque on the seat while the post was firmly clamped stationary) - coupled with a somewhat marginal joint from day 1 - might possibly have been enough to do that.

But I'm just guessing. Who knows?
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 11-16-22, 06:46 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3505 Post(s)
Liked 2,924 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
From looking at the photos on this eBay listing for a SP-7410 (they're much better than the SP-7410 photos on Velobase), it appears that the SP-7410 post assembly was constructed from two different pieces. The post "head" appears to have been swaged onto the post tube. The upper and lower rail clamp plates were held to the head by a bolt that passed through the post head and the lower plate, and which threaded into the upper plate. Shimano's EV for the SP-7410 can be found here.

My guess is that the swaged joint between the post's head and tube failed, becoming loose and allowing the head to turn on the tube. The Thing from Fantastic 4 going "clobbering time" and twisting the hell out of the seat while clamped into the frame a few times (or something else that put a lot of torque on the seat while the post was firmly clamped stationary) - coupled with a somewhat marginal joint from day 1 - might possibly have been enough to do that.

But I'm just guessing. Who knows?
Ok, I see what you’re saying. I was confused because I have the aero version of the DA post (7400 B), and on that version the head and post are one piece.
Old 11-16-22, 08:03 PM
Ross200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 34 Posts
Isn't premature failure of 7410 seat posts a long-standing issue? Like a couple of decades?
Old 11-16-22, 08:33 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
You offered a broken seatpost, and the recipient wanted a refund because it was broken? Sounds like a scumbag.
Likes For krakhaus:
Old 11-17-22, 02:39 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Ok, I see what you’re saying. I was confused because I have the aero version of the DA post (7400 B), and on that version the head and post are one piece.
Photos of the SP-7400 (both A and B versions) do indeed appear to show that model's tube assembly to be single piece. That appears to have changed to a two-piece post design (separate head swaged onto the tube portion) for the SP-7410.

Last edited by Hondo6; 11-17-22 at 02:49 AM.
Old 11-17-22, 11:25 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Originally Posted by Schweinhund
Clarification.
1) I did not "*****" about the part. I asked if there was a back story to the broken cap. I didn't care it was broken only wanted to know if there was a story behind it.
2) I did not ask for a refund. Schweinhund volunteered the refund for shipping without asking if I wanted one. I ddn't. His choice.

I like to see if I can salvage parts that are viewed as useless to others.
The head is slightly loose and only rotates a few degrees when force is applied.
The two parts do not separate easily. I suspect the force from the saddle leverage ovalized the interface enough to allow rotation.

The rest of the head hardware was not provided so the post was incomplete if repaired.

I would be happy to send the shipping cost in exchange for a public apology for making this misunderstanding public.

Last edited by SJX426; 11-17-22 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-17-22, 11:58 AM
Schweinhund

Nothing was missing, I have pictures, All hardware was included right down to the hollow fixing bolt. it was damaged as disclosed. Your negative tone is what got you a refund. Negativity = b!tching. On top of that, maybe an expression of oh hey thanks for going out of your way to ship that.
Old 11-17-22, 12:06 PM
SJX426 

@veganbikes - I agree with most of what you stated but I don't consider myself a jerk. I saw this as a risky investment that I was willing to take a hit on. I am trying to outfit my daughters bike I am building for her.
@Lombard - I have paid too much for junk parts and paid nothing, including shipping, for exactly the right parts from BFs. There is always risk. I was willing to take this one. Little did I know I would be slandered for others assumptions and behavior.
@krakhaus - I agree with the scumbag but it does not apply to me since I didn't ask for a refund. It suddenly showed up without discussion.
Old 11-17-22, 12:30 PM
Schweinhund

Originally Posted by krakhaus
You offered a broken seatpost, and the recipient wanted a refund because it was broken? Sounds like a scumbag.
To be clear, the recipient did not ask for a refund, I returned the money of my own accord.
When the recipient did not at least say thanks before saying "What's up with?" when he knew he was getting a broken seatpost before I shipped it, it was obvious that he was unhappy. If you're not happy, money back.
Old 11-17-22, 06:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
@veganbikes - I agree with most of what you stated but I don't consider myself a jerk. I saw this as a risky investment that I was willing to take a hit on. I am trying to outfit my daughters bike I am building for her.
@Lombard - I have paid too much for junk parts and paid nothing, including shipping, for exactly the right parts from BFs. There is always risk. I was willing to take this one. Little did I know I would be slandered for others assumptions and behavior.
@krakhaus - I agree with the scumbag but it does not apply to me since I didn't ask for a refund. It suddenly showed up without discussion.
Good to hear your take on it. It is a an odd situation for sure. It sounds like maybe not a jerk but it is such an odd one I am still trying to figure out from what each have said.

Hopefully in the end everyone directly involved with the situation can come to some positive understanding and get along so we can get back to fighting about which Chain Lube is better or why it is hard to get parts