Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Help buying mountain bike under £100

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 11-23-22, 04:30 PM
Nicolas199

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

I recently moved to the UK and would like to buy a bicycle to move into the city, I was looking for options for under £100.
I’m 1,69m so probably a 54cm Road Bike Size would be suitable. (I would rather use a big mountain bike than a Small one).

These are the preferred options I found. Would appreciate any advice on which one seems to be the best possible mountain bike:

Option 1: Kona 7005 aluminum, Frame size 15" - 16". £70

Option 2: Saracen 20”, model unknown, £97.00

Option 3: Giant Terrago, Frame size unknown, £99.00

I tried posting the link and image, sorry about that.

Option four: None

Thank you very much!!
Old 11-23-22, 07:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
So there is nothing at that price point that is going to be of any quality and a mountain bike is probably the wrong bike. Not knowing the condition of those bikes I don't think anyone could recommend any of them . I would post links to them and that will give you a slightly better chance of help and you were already going to get involved with other threads because why would you go join a bike forum and not want to join into active threads. Once you hit those 10 posts you can post links and that doesn't take too long.

I would post more info about what you are looking for and what your plans are and things like that you need in the bike. But you will also need to test some bikes as well and make sure they fit because at any price a bike that doesn't fit doesn't matter.
Old 11-25-22, 02:34 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicolas199
Hello everyone,

I recently moved to the UK and would like to buy a bicycle to move into the city, I was looking for options for under £100.
I’m 1,69m so probably a 54cm Road Bike Size would be suitable. (I would rather use a big mountain bike than a Small one).

These are the preferred options I found. Would appreciate any advice on which one seems to be the best possible mountain bike:

Option 1: Kona 7005 aluminum, Frame size 15" - 16". £70

Option 2: Saracen 20”, model unknown, £97.00

Option 3: Giant Terrago, Frame size unknown, £99.00

I tried posting the link and image, sorry about that.

Option four: None

Thank you very much!!
There's this place, https://www.retrobike.co.uk/ It's a nice bunch of folks in your neck of the woods. On top click forums. (Don't ban me please!)
Old 12-25-22, 11:56 AM
Monkitoucher

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Yeti SB130, Primus Mootry Adventure Bike, Funk Pro Comp/Durango, Ellsworth Enlightenment, Colnago Nuovo Mexico, Orange Krate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 16 Posts
If you're looking for a commuter in the UK, I think a cheap MTB would be the ticket. The cheaper the better! Something that looks like it's been sitting on the bottom of a lake for the last 10 years. The only thing you want to have in good shape are the drivetrain, seat, and grips. Something that you can chain up on the street and not be stolen.